Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove a SLK350 roadster today

Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Jun 8 2005, 09:53 AM
We were comparing $50K cars so the C6 was not a convertible.. but the MB was not a V8... it was as fair as it got that day... we were seeing what we liked, not performing objective roadtests.
If your gonna compare the fixed roof C6 Vette to a fixed roof German car, why not compare it to an M3?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JSR_AP2,Jun 8 2005, 10:26 AM
I really like the retractable hardtops from MB also. I wish other brands would do that to their roadster/verts...just cleaner looking when up.
There are several current convertables with folding hard-tops besides the SLK. Including:
Lexus SC
Chevrolet SSR (OK, it is a truck)
Daihatsu Copen (not available in the US)
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Also Cadillac XLR
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmateer,Jun 8 2005, 01:18 PM
If your gonna compare the fixed roof C6 Vette to a fixed roof German car, why not compare it to an M3?
The C6 really works well as a targa with the top pulled out. We both wanted to see and drive sportscars and after quite a bit of experience with a friends late model SMG M3 we were not at all interested in one. Different kind of cars.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't bet on MB's currect reliability record. According to Automobile magazine. MB is at the bottom of German automobile consumer satisfaction survey.

Good luck to your friend.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
rai

Hope it's OK after spending that kind of money. I'm always scared about buying the first of anything. My Z3 was the first model year and it had a lot of problems.

Wish you could say by spending a lot you get more reliable car but it's not always the case.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:01 PM
rai

Originally Posted by Shinigami,Jun 8 2005, 04:54 AM
He shouldn't have bothered. The NAV plays mp3 music off DVD's (yes, even dual layer), which means that he could have saved several hundred bucks by leaving the cd changer off his order.
I'm wondering how your nav can play DVDs. If you take out the nav DVD to play music DVD doesn't that mean you can't use it's nav functions?? If that's the case you have a $2K mp3 player not a nav system.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 7 2005, 04:33 PM
My friend just got one last week 6-speed MT. He had it on order for 8+ weeks, no deals on them (he says) so he paid MSRP. His has heated headrest, nav, 6-disk cd, remote control of roof, auto dims, climate control etc.. He got $6K in options so it was ~$53K

Well, it's a very nice car. Looks classy, interior imo was one of the best, plastic and leather were very nice IMO.

Best part has to be the folding hardtop. OMG Well it takes a good long time (seems like most of a minute) and it eats up most of the trunk. But IMO it beats any rag-top to pieces. when it's down, its totally flat under a hard boot. When it's up it's a tight enclosed cockpit, you know the roof and back glass are close, but not terrible. Also the fit of the top is 100% it's very solid. You have to hold a button down the whole time but you don't have to do anything with latches.

Seating is tight for me, I'd like 1-2" of extra seat movement, but it's no worse than the S2000. Damn it, when are car makes going to realize people are big nowadays? Steering wheel tilts and scopes. A lot of function buttons on the wheel. Wheel is nice and thick but larger diameter than the S2000s.

Engine has a nice rumble but too quiet as if it's under a blanket.

Shifter :drat: it's just OK, not as bad as most, if the S2000 is a 10/10 this shifter is a 7/10. A bit spongy. The clutch pedal was the worst of it, its like too close to my leg (can't move the seat back) and it's travel is twice as long as the S2000s. Maybe after a while I'd get used to it. But it kind of distracted me whereas the S2000 you don't even notice the foot work b/c its close to perfect.

The Drive: Well it's got a few beans alright. It's every bit as fast as the S and it seems as if it's not even trying hard at it. Very relaxed, no spike of power. I'm so used to 9000 rpm, I'm kind of expecting something after 6000 rpm (we're just getting started) but the SLK is just a short rush to the redline which calls off the fun at 7000 rpm (or so). I like the way you can be in 3rd at 30mph and still pull away. Doesn't matter so much what gear you're in as long as you're close enough it'll get the job done.

Handling: Well I didn't do much, but it's def a lot more towards comfort with too much body roll for my ideal, but it's very relaxed and wind/sound at 70mph aren't bad.

Sum up: Def a very nice car, one of the best I've driven. But I say hey, it's $47K or as tested $53K that's not chicken feed. It's a full $15K-$20K more than the S2000. It'd be a give and take in some areas the SLK def put together well with nice quality materials and nice sound system, and nice TQ-ey motor and killer hardtop. But the S2000 takes the gearshift award, steering feel, and connected to the car and road feel.

In the end I'd love to have a SLK def not only a looker, it can move as well. And it's sticker price includes a lot of doo-dads we can't even imagine on the S2000 and it's hardtop .

For me it'd be hard as I already have a S2000 so it'd be $30K-$32K trade up, and prolly I'd want the designo interior that's another $9K (on second thought prolly not, the standard interior is already very nice) but prolly I'd need some type of sports suspension. So as much as I'd like one, it's not $30K better than my 2.5 year old S2000.

If it had a better shifter and more leg room and stiffer suspension then I'd seriously think about it. But it's got a few flaws for the not inconsequential asking price.
You've written some OK posts but this one was way off the mark.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:40 PM
rai

Originally Posted by MrGTR,Jun 8 2005, 01:26 PM
You've written some OK posts but this one was way off the mark.
What the hell does that mean?

Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Jun 8 2005, 11:25 AM
There are several current convertables with folding hard-tops besides the SLK. Including:
Lexus SC
Chevrolet SSR (OK, it is a truck)
Daihatsu Copen (not available in the US)
Yeah, I know about those, but I was referring to more performance-based roadsters (Z4, Miata, etc.)...things I'd actually like to drive. The Lexus SC is ugly IMO. The SSR's kinda cool, but I'd never get one. The XLR's pretty nice, but don't like the interior design...plus, it looks so much like my BB6 prelude already...same overall shape and profiles. Everytime I see one, I call it a Cadilude.

Quick Reply: Drove a SLK350 roadster today