Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

drove S4 today

Old 11-20-2004, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove S4 today

Since the s2k lease is about to end and being a family man now, I'm considering something that can haul the family around when needed. I've always been fan of audi avant due to the class and elegant look. I decided on S4 avant instead of m3 since it's better value and nicer and more modern look with quattro and wagon utility.

Today, I went to dealer and drove a 6spd avant. The car looks amazing and interior quality is excellent especially with alcantara. Power is strong and engine sound is nice but I didn't get to try speed higher than 60 due to traffic jam. But I felt that I could trust it's performance on highway.

However, there are quite a few things that disappointed me much. The 6spd is long and days and night from s2k's precision. The clutch is long and pedal position is weird and makes me appreciate more the perfect position and feel os s2k. The biggest problem though is the lack of road feel. S2k is on the other hand much more precise in turns although S4 might be more easy to control, it just lacks the laser cutting sharpness of the s2k. Our cars are absolutely the most fun to drive, although the torque 4.2 and the amazing build quality and elegance of s4 is hard to match.

So I still might want the s4, and hopefully maybe able to have another s2k in the future just for fun, or maybe even better an elise Anyway, I'm trying to see if it is possibly to make the S4 anywhere close to the fun of s2k to make my decision easier. I lurk on audiworld.com but a lot of them are not as objective and they probably don't have much experience with the sharp handling of s2k too so I doubt if I could get any information there. Anyone here know if suspension mods would help the s4 much? Anyone on this board have S4? Also I would like to know if the sedan handles any different from the avant.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Banned

Make a heavy sedan handle as nimble and precise as an S? Hardly!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Zam

FYI, many M3 owners are ex-S2000 owners. You aren't going to find a sedan (maybe evo/sti) that can handle like an s2000.

IMHO, keep the s2000 and spend $25k on an Accord/Camry/Evo/Sti. The $50k spent on an S4/M3 isn't really worth it. Honestly I'd prefer a S2k & decent sedan rather than compromise the two.

BTW, the S4 is being facelifted...
Old 11-21-2004, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, you need to keep in mind that although aftermarket suspension can make the s4 more agile, your family may not appreciate the harsher ride. if i am not mistaken you are contemplating getting a wagon for your family needs, so maybe you should just accept the compromises of the s4 and not worry so much about it not handling anywhere near like the s2k.

then again, like others have said, if you don't think you can live without the s2k caliber handling, then maybe you should just pay the residual of the s2k lease and buy a used camry/accord.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:41 AM

A lot of S4 owners also used to own a S2000. I also test drove the S4 when I was selling my car (E46 M3). The car is nice. Love the Recaros. Shifting was greatly improved, from the B4 S4 I used to own.

I am not too crazy about the facelift, but from what I have been reading it has greatly improved. In one mag, they even rated the new S4 nicer than the M3. I find that the M3 feels as if it's a class higher than the S4. If your kids are not too little you might want to consider test driving the M3. If you can wait a little longer, by possible continuing your payments on your S2000 I would definitely give the new M3 (V8) a try.

If the S4 was in the low $40k I would have probably picked one up before but I just didn't feel at the time that it was as good as the M3's price.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:17 PM

I hope they have a GOOD loaner program or you have something to drive while it's in the shop. It will be in the shop...ALOT, I have owned 2 S4's and will not own another VWAG product in our life times. VWAG products have taken over where Ford left off...absolute garbage from a reliability standpoint. The S4 is a direct competitor for the E46 M3 and falls short in pretty much every category except for interior space. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:26 PM

S4's are great cars, my brother has one. The old V6's were awesome...... so easy to chip and get the 330hp out of! You could spend 20-25g's right now on a 2001-2002 S4... and you wouldn't be making a mistake.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:56 AM

You could spend 20-25g's right now on a 2001-2002 S4... and you wouldn't be making a mistake.
That is unless your like to drive your car somewhere other than to the dealer for service...those things are maintenance nightmares.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:24 AM

Keep the S, and get a Legacy GT wagon
Old 11-22-2004, 10:41 AM

yeah i vote legacy gt wagon too, its decent and fairly quick

Quick Reply: drove S4 today