Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove and ordered an A5 today!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Drove and ordered an A5 today!

I work for a dealer group who carries a great line-up of vehicles I love, and I have a terrible habit of buying cars a little too often. I've intentionally stayed away from the 1 Series and M3's, I've avoided Porsche's since I sold my CS, but I had a meeting at our Audi store this morning.....

I was all set to buy another S2000 and hold onto the Landcruiser I'm driving now, but that friggin' A5 coupe kept staring at me the whole time I was at Audi. I gave in and grabbed the keys. After a 5 mile test drive I was picking my packages and colors.

I'm just waiting to hear from Audi as to when my car will be built.

It will be a 2009 Audi A5 Quattro 3.2L Tiptronic (don't much care for the clutch engagement and long throw of the manual in other A4-based cars) with Premium Package, Nav/Sirius, and the 19" Y-Design wheels.

And of course....it will be Black on Black to continue representin' the Dark Side!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice choice! Let us know more about the test drive.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:59 AM

The A5 is absolutely gorgeous. A black one was behind me a few weeks ago. Those LED's are pure sex!! Congrats man.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 PM

I didn't like them when I read the preveiws in the auto mags but have seen a couple in the flesh now and I've come around. My second car was an 85 Audi Coupe GT so I can appreciate the heritage. Keep us posted!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Former Moderator

Thanks candyass. Car & Driver's review was pretty dead-on. It is much like a GT Coupe - crisp yet pleasant to drive. I judge a car by how well I think it will handle the Dragon, and this one takes corners fairly well. It isn't on the same fun level as the S2000, but neither was my old E46 M3. I can see it being a lot of fun on the Dragon in the dry and the wet. Even though I can tell there is some body roll, it isn't felt behind the wheel. It is wider than the current A4-based cars so it takes a much firmer stance. I think I read in Motortrend that it is almost as wide as a 6 Series.

It is extremely refined for the price. The interior is elegant without being over-stated like most non-S Audi's. I have loved the MMI since Audi introduced it. I think it is much better than iDrive, and the Nav works pretty well. I've had some wheel-time with MMI in the Q7 and A8L. It is my favorite Sirius tuner; which, as silly as it sounds is something I care about.

My dislike comes in the computer operating the automatic transmission. Sport mode is great, but I haven't figured out a way to keep it in manual sport all the time - after a little while the car flips back into sport automatic. This sucks because it will put you 1 to 2 gears higher than you should be for better acceleration.

Sport Manual off the line is definitely quick enough for any daily driver. I don't see it winning any drag races, but the butt dyno says it goes from 0-60 in under 6 seconds: Audi says 5.9 secs and other sources say 5.3 seconds.

Even though I don't plan to be hitting top speed all the time, I also don't like the fact that it is governed at 130 MPH. However, I am getting older and more responsible.... with that said, a refined coupe makes the most sense for my lifestyle.

With the dislikes, the styling, comfort, and ability to play overweigh those small contested points in my mind.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Former Moderator

I think I'm going to go drive it again now

Old 04-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sexks!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

What is the price difference between the A5 and S5?
Old 04-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sexy!

Post pics as soon as it arrives.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:50 PM

A5 and S5 are hot! Aren't those cars backordered for 18 months?

Quick Reply: Drove and ordered an A5 today!