Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove the New Toyota 4Runner

Old 10-16-2002, 04:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drove the New Toyota 4Runner

I drove my wife's Pilot over to the Toyota dealer today because I was delivering some wireless phones displays and to my amazement, I saw that they had a new 4Runner in front!

I did'nt realize they would be out already. The General Manager of the dealership is a good friend and he always likes to talk shit about my Honda! His sales folks seemed very impressed by the Pilot and asked if they could look at it. I said "sure." As I looked over the new 4Runner, I glanced back at the Pilot and there must have been nealry 10 Toyota sales folks gawking at the Pilot.

The GM said, "let's go for a ride in the 4Runner." So, I thought, what the hell! The V8 is very smooth and the 4Runner is quiet but the old problems of the 4Runner still exist (IMO) with the small interior and cramped dash and very little headroom. I was unimpressed with the overall functionality of the interior. All of the compartments seemed too small for anything to truly fit. The middle armrest has a small flip down part that I am guessing could double as a writing area but it seems awkward to use. The rear seats folding is just pitiful. You have to lift the bottom seat cushion first and then pull the tab to put the seat backs down. After that, the rear cargo area looked very small. A salesman boasted that a sheet of plywood could fit in the back but it looks doubtful. The rear seat has a fold down armrest that doubles as a drink holder and slide out tray, it really did'nt look bad but I thought it looked cheap for some reason. Not sure, really.

The coolest part was the addition of these convex mirrors molded into the rear window braces. From the inside of the 4Runner, you could easily see what was coming beside you before you backed into it. Another plus was that it had Michelin Cross Terrain tires. But I thought the rims were a little The rear of the 4Runner is something else too and the use of all that grey body cladding was just nasty.

I never got a chance to glance at the price but I'm sure it was well over the price of a Pilot and IMO, not worth it. Makes me happier that we chose a Pilot!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the 4Runner is supposed to be off-road capable, the Highlander is a more valid comparison of a Toyota to the Pilot.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. The pilot is a good looking minivan, but not an SUV.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:11 PM
SSK

It still amazes me how much interior room Honda squeezes out of the CR-V and Pilot.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steve c
who said SUV's must be off-road capable?
Old 10-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right?
Old 10-16-2002, 04:21 PM

who said SUV's must be off-road capable?
That's kind of the point of an SUV -- or at least was part of the initial terminology. The recent entrance of car based (and in some cases minivan based SUV's has perhaps changed this.)

I still think if ladder - frame designs like the 4runner as SUV's. Other designs less capable of off roading fall into that not a real SUV, more a copycat of the BMW SAV concept.

Not that the Honda or Acura are bad looking vehicles -- I quite like them both.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:42 PM

I also drove the 4Runner, and am planning to purchase one as soon as possible. I think it looks much better in Limited trim, color matched fender flares, bumpers, etc. I personally feel Toyota vehicles feel more "solid" than Honda cars. Mostly the Toyota/Lexus vehicles assembled in Japan. I'm not racist or anything, just that's my own opinion. I didn't like the Pilot as much. For me, the 4Runner Limited gets the nod in Interior/Exterior styling, and smooth drivetrain. It's something I can see myself driving. I loved the V8 and the 5-speed auto. I can't wait to try the V6 when it comes available in December/January. 4.0 L V6, 245 HP and 283 lb-ft of torque.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:03 PM

i guess in that case, the m coupe is a 2 dr. station wagon.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:57 PM

Yes, and an ugly one at that

Quick Reply: Drove the New Toyota 4Runner