Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove the new BMW Z4 today. S2000 and Z4 Pics!

Old 10-26-2002, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seeing them side by side, makes me appreciate the S that much more...
Old 10-26-2002, 11:12 PM

Bangle has big balls for doing what he is doing at BMW. The BMW Board has even bigger balls for approving Bangle's designs. I don't like the 7's rear end, actually I hate it, but the Z4 is not quite as bad.

I had a 1.9 BMW Z3 when they first came out and it was a dog to drive (no power especially compared to the S2000). IMO Drivers will continue to prefer the S2000 until and unless the Z4 can outperform it. Let's wait and see.

As for me, I won't be buying another BMW again, EVER, because their warranties, service and support suck (at least where I live!).
Old 10-27-2002, 05:16 AM

I actually find the car curiously handsome, and no I don't own a BMW. The backend is a little too much with its afterburner look, but the front (especially the black one on the transporter) looks pretty good. It looks real wide and low, and I am sure there would be a lot of bodykits coming out to emphasise that further.

The keypoint, it seems, is the colour of the grille. If you see the pics that KMak posted, I think the 2.5 looks a lot better than the 3.0 with its grey grille.

The profile is a grown up version of a Caterham 7, and I kinda like it.

I have to admit, it's not as immediately appealing as the s2000, but then again I am sure its luxuries would bring in a lot more buyers than s2000 ever would. The price, however, is simply ridiculous.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:32 AM

The car looks much better with the top down. It seems to balance the long hood and short deck. The hood is long so that BMW can put their new straight 12 cyl in it. Should be a hot rod!
Old 10-27-2002, 07:15 AM

I don't understand why people get so excited about BMW. Everyone I have encountered (friends and families cars) have been complete piles of crap. It seems they are built in with a self destruct mechanism after two years time. The service they have received has been worse than any Honda experience I have heard people gripe about on this board. I had a friend live with me for a short time and was able to see his car (7 series) fall apart on almost a weekly basis. He was in such denial. He couldn't understand how my Hondas and Toyotas just kept chugging along with three times the mileage than his BMW with no problems. The sad part is he paid three to four times what I paid for my vehicles. I can only conclude that BMW are masters of marketing and that ignorant people get what they deserve. I'm going to predict that the Frankenstein of roadsters the Z4(by the way its not even made in sacred Germany but they charge you like its is, suckers!) is just another hunk of unreliable BMW crap.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by PlasticTHUG
Just like any new design... people hate new designs until they get use to it (me)
There's this girl I went to high school with. When I first met her upon moving to the area, she was very sweet, but very difficult on the eyes. Fast forward 20 years and she's still just as sweet as she was long ago and whadda'ya know...still as ugly.

To cap off the horrible rear brake light area, my hats off to the creator of the ugliest roll bars (are they functional?) I've ever seen on a convertible. Shouldn't something designed to ROLL, have rolled edges?

Old 10-27-2002, 02:58 PM

I hope it doesn't rain...
Well greg... I don't think it rains in hell
Old 10-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by realthing
but the front (especially the black one on the transporter) looks pretty good. It looks real wide and low, and I am sure there would be a lot of bodykits coming out to emphasise that further.
Bear in mind that the car is on a transporter and is "tied down" to the frame of the trailer. This would give the illusion of the car being lowered.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by airgate
Now, some pics of the S2000 and Z4 side by side!

Front. . .

I'll take the one on the right, please.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:26 AM

went to my local one to take a look, no test drives until next sunday when they present the car to the local bmw faithful...

salesguy said it is 185hp for the 2.5 and 225 for the 3.0, their brochure does not even list the weight.

maybe in a couple more years when it grows up and the price trims down it will be worth looking at.

keith

Quick Reply: Drove the new BMW Z4 today. S2000 and Z4 Pics!