Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove the new BMW Z4 today. S2000 and Z4 Pics!

Old 10-24-2002, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More for your eyes
Old 10-24-2002, 11:44 PM

Re the Z4--Thanks for the pics, Airgate. Lets see, what can I say about it that's nice... oh, the steering wheel looks good..., I guess. This car is really a visual train wreck, in fact, it looks like it's been in a wreck itself. It's a kind of tangle of planes, curves, and creases that don't relate to one another at all. You're right about that rear "deck"; it's about a foot too short. And $47000??!!!?????.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:08 AM

I foresee bad things for the Z4 for two reasons

1st it's moving upmarket, into Boxster territory where it will be beaten by the dynamics and the badge of the Porker

2nd it's far more expensive than the S2k compared to the performance, so it will lose there too

So it's neither a buy of reason or passion. As usual the Beamer's Z will be for the misinformed punter. pffff...

And it's an eye sore...looks like a dog who's just peed on the carpet and has that afraid look that u're gonna beat it lol
Old 10-25-2002, 01:09 AM

Okay - here are my unsolicited 2-cents.

While overall the Z4 isn't as pleasing to my eye as the S2000, it doesn't deserve to be dismissed as an ugly design. I'm glad that BMW decided to be a little bold with this iteration rather than play it safe with a design style everyone expects.

I think the flanks are the most distinguishing feature with a mixture of straight/curved crease lines intersecting at various angles. I particularly like the extended diagonal formed by the A-pillar down to the sidepanel crease that bisects the BMW emblem, then acutely angling towards the back of the car not so subtlely evoking the bottome half of the letter "Z". The rear 3/4 view is probably the most flattering for this car.

The front is probably the least pleasing to look at. The continuous horizontal seam starting from the fender, over the headlights and the front edge of the hood to the other side is very jarring and at interrupts all the other lines that are trying to sweep your eyes over the hood or around the fenders. Unfortunately it looks like an ugly uni-brow across the forehead that you can't simply shave away.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

airgate,

Thanks for the excellent reconnaissance. Seeing the 2 side-by-side...no contest.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:44 AM

Ooogly.

The storage compartment looks familiar.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GREAT PICS.... thanks. the S2000 does it again..taking down another contender in the looks department...
Old 10-25-2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Marcus
The front is probably the least pleasing to look at. The continuous horizontal seam starting from the fender, over the headlights and the front edge of the hood to the other side is very jarring and at interrupts all the other lines that are trying to sweep your eyes over the hood or around the fenders. Unfortunately it looks like an ugly uni-brow across the forehead that you can't simply shave away.
That horizontal seam reminds me of an old man who pulls the waist of his pants up under his armpits.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:55 AM

ugly exterior, nice interior
Old 10-25-2002, 07:39 AM

Airgate, I'm not sure if I should thank you or be mad at you.
I thank you for getting the side by side pics and your reactions.
I'm a little upset at you because those pics made a mess out of my desk after I

Quick Reply: Drove the new BMW Z4 today. S2000 and Z4 Pics!