Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove the Lotus Evora Today

Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that there is a pronounced smell of glue from the body bonding. Is that true?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Sorry guys, no pictures. I figured we had all seen them before. The car I drove was the electric blue color.

No glue smell. It was mostly leather smell. It was also missing the creaks and moans that the Elise is born with. One noise I did notice were pebbles and road gravel pinging off the underside and wheel wells. Nothing anywhere near the Elise, but still there. It was mostly noticeable when rolling through residential neighborhoods at slow speeds.

The steering feel was excellent. It was a little heavier and slightly duller than the Elise, but still light years beyond most all other cars. The shifter was smoother and less clunky than that in the Elise. I would say it 75% as good as the shifter in the S2K and 50% better than the Elise.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 AM

So would you all pay the $80k if it came with a proper British engine, like the buzzy, underpowered, unreliable, dirty Lotus and Rover engines used in the past?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin009,Dec 2 2009, 11:13 AM
Sorry guys, no pictures. I figured we had all seen them before. The car I drove was the electric blue color.

No glue smell. It was mostly leather smell. It was also missing the creaks and moans that the Elise is born with. One noise I did notice were pebbles and road gravel pinging off the underside and wheel wells. Nothing anywhere near the Elise, but still there. It was mostly noticeable when rolling through residential neighborhoods at slow speeds.

The steering feel was excellent. It was a little heavier and slightly duller than the Elise, but still light years beyond most all other cars. The shifter was smoother and less clunky than that in the Elise. I would say it 75% as good as the shifter in the S2K and 50% better than the Elise.
I saw that car this past weekend in Denver. Lotus North America's marketing vp was in Colorado for the Thanksgiving break, and drove that blue car to a sparsely attended coffee event. I liked the overall look of the car, but hated the color. Interior was spartan but functional - I loved the seats.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If people paid $50, 60K for the Elise with another Toyota engine in it, then this is fine.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM

I would have seriously considered the Evora in place of the CS I have on order except that I don't have the confidence that Lotus knows how to build a car with the quality and reliability that Porsche does. The Evora is very similar to CS performance, arguably looks better, but I doubt it will be as trouble-free and it's about $20k more. If I were living in the UK where I'm sure it's a lot cheaper (compared to Porsches), I'd have to think seriously about it though.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Toyota motor >> Rover motor, lol

You can keep that British authenticity along with any Lucas connectors...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:01 PM

haha, type "Lucas Electrics" into google images, and this is one of the first results:

I agree- it may be "just" a camry engine, but I'd take a proven, reliable toyota unit over a rover K series and lucas electrics any day!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Mid Engine, 276hp V6, 3,000lb Aluminum Sports car, at $80,000 sounds like something Honda made almost 20 years ago.

I think it looks good though and it does have back seats for display/insurance purposes. Not sure I'd trust Lotus build quality though. The Camry motor may sound lame, but at least you know its pretty reliable and affordable to replace if there's a freak aftermarket twin turbo accident.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Fantastic idea by Lotus but the problem is the existence of a 320 Cayman S that weighs the same if not less and is cheaper.

In 1991 there was no real competition for the NSX. Today Lotus has to deal with the Boxster S and Cayman S.

Hell my 2006 Boxster S has 280HP and weighs 2900 pounds.

I still want to test drive the Evora to see if its steering is better than the Cayman-Boxster. Apparently it is.

Quick Reply: Drove the Lotus Evora Today