Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove the Lotus Evora Today

Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove the Lotus Evora Today

I'm not sure what the official name of the car might be (test mule?), but it is a finished production model being driven across the US to shake out any final bugs. Car had about 7600 miles on the odo.

The car in the flesh is so much more curvy than pictures reveal. Stand by the front wheels and look at the rear quarter and it is a curvy, sexy spaceship with swoops, tucks, intersects and vents. It is so nice to look at. The front is a cross between a 360 and an Elise. Nice, but not terribly original. All their design dollars went into the back end.

The interior is actually quite nice. The door sill one must slide over in the Elise is greatly reduced, but still there. You still drop into the seats. But once you make the drop, ohh momma, the seats are nice. Not Audi TT nice, but pretty durn close. They were a little wide, likely stretched to fit fat America asses. Bolstering was solid and the seat bottom was long and provided support without reducing mobility. I could easily see some comfortable highway miles. The back seat is a joke. Hopefully there is a parcel shelf option. The trunk storage is equally pathetic. I could see carting around a couple of really long sub sandwiches, but that's about it.

Rear visibility is slightly better than none. There is a rear camera which shows nothing but the immediate ground behind the car. The angle is so severe, you can read the license plate. The front end swoops down and you can't see much of the car beyond the dash and two humps above the front wheels. Lotus is going to make a mint on replacement front clams.

The dash surface is leather and the floor covered in carpet. The gauge cluster is asymmetrical and pretty good looking. You have analog gauges complimented by a redundant digital speedometer. The control switches are aluminum and fun to click, clack and touch.

The car starts with the turn of the key. No start button in this luxury model. The engine note is rather sedate. It fails to impress even under full throttle. Keep in mind my Elise had an early Stage II exhaust and was bloody loud. It would gurgle, pop and backfire. Brilliant! Anyway, not so much from the Evora. It sounds like a car.

As for driving dynamics, Lotus crushed it. It's absolutely wonderful to drive. It's an Elise for those who have grown out of an Elise. I'm in Denver, so considering we are down about 20% in an NA engine, the car was still strong. Mid-range torque was plentiful. The pull was so very smooth and seamless. The car was limited to 6800rpm and I was left un-impressed by it's full-throttle pull. Maybe it just felt too planted. I don't know, but I just didn't get the feeling of speed. The speedo backed me up as I never looked over to be surprised by my velocity.

Having owned an Elise and now driven the Evora, I would choose the Evora all day long. It carries the passion that was born in the Elise while gently reminding us that every day is not a track day.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM

ive been lookign forward to this car. could be a nice little daily(not beater, there is a difference haha) for once.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read it's got one of the best steering feels in the auto industry. Its handling and steering feel are supposed to be superb. Is it $80K?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 PM

no pics?!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no way in hell id pay 80k for something with a camry motor in it
Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,Dec 2 2009, 06:09 AM
wow, how naive. Someone still controlled by the name of a car. I guess that is why Toyota and started lexus and honda started acura. While I think a name matters to regular people......to a car enthusiast I would expect better behavior.

Sad
Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you pay a few hundred grand for a Koenigsegg with a Ford motor in it?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Good point but the motor in the Koeniggsegg is NOWHERE close to what you'd buy in a pedestrian Ford vehicle. The motor in the Evora, however, is virtually identical to the Camry motor (ECU upgrades only).
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Great writeup, I'm definitely interested in seeing this car in person.

It's biggest challenge is that it does measure up in the intardnet $/hp standard. It certainly won't be stealing any sales away from the GT-R or the high end Corvettes, it never was going to.

The question is can it steal sales from the Cayman S and the base 997? The buyer here is someone with money for whom rarity and driving experience are more important than outright speed.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 AM

We did this song and dance not too long ago but I still feel the same way.

Quick Reply: Drove the Lotus Evora Today