Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove an '08 C6 Z51 last night

Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jan 27 2008, 08:14 PM
My friend (w/ the C6) and I were stopped for 68 in a 55 on 1431 between Marble Falls and Lago Vista yesterday. It was TX DPS, and they don't seem to love anything or anyone. This one was pretty much of a dick just looking for revenue...we were hardly at risk of endangering anyone compared to trucks hauling boats, etc. @ 55.

Needless to say, both of us got speeding tickets, and in fact he had already gotten another one earlier that day. So much for that theory!

Of course, in our combined stop, maybe the cop's hatred for Porsche drivers spilled over to him for associating w/ me.
Theres always one jerk that has to ruin the party.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyass,Jan 27 2008, 06:01 PM
It is my understanding that State Farm still covers them, In fact everytime I go to TWS there is an agent there that has his ins company name all over his car he is a rep for SF. I cant remember his name. But I think he is from your area.
I have Allstate now but I can't get a clear answer from my agent on whether that is covered, you know what that means. I am thinking of going with State Farm.
I dropped All State for this very reason. Their language is very specific now citing 'any event on a racing surface.' I take this to mean HPDE, auto-x, driving in the pit lane?!?1 I went with State Farm about 2 years ago, but they have recently changed their wording too, to single out HPDE events as not covered. If I get bored I will go drudge up the plan and put the wording down. Allstate is one of the most specific when it comes to not covering HPDEs. My Allstate agent was usless too. She kept saying she thought it was fine, so I finally looked it up myself...not so much! It blows honestly, but I'm willing to take the risk with the evo.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney,Jan 27 2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry, just being smart*ssed since there were 4 identical posts above mentioning a friend with a white C6.

I forgot to add the .....
My best friend has a white C6. I looove that car. I would never own one though.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by candyass,Jan 27 2008, 05:08 PM

Yes they pick up nice HP with a tune, all of the best ones require cutting the shroud somehow to pickup the cold air. LG will be releasing a new product soon, you might want to talk with him, he has a prototype on his red Z06 now. I have the LPE CAI and really like the quality and performance but cleaning the filter is a bit of a PITA. If I were buying now, I would go with the Callaway Honker. It seems to offer similar performance,much easier cleaning, and stock look. I have not had any trouble with mine in extreme downpours and the C6 is a much better design than the C5 for a CAI. Just use your head in downpours and don't drive it into the lake.
As far as headers the LG are 3" all the way back to the over the axle pipes and you could maybe pickup a stock Z06 exhaust with the butterflies and tell LG you want the Z06 over axle pipes then you could have a 3" all the way out and go with the "mild to wild" or LG "man switch" That is probably what I will do in the future as soon as I can find a stock Z06 exhaust for cheap. I like the rumble when I want it and that is not all the time.
I figured the better ones would require the shroud to be cut. I'll ask Lou about his prototype CAI when I get closer to purchasing. The stock Z06 exhaust isn't that interesting to me because I want it loud all the time since it's going to be a fun-only car and I still will have my relatively quiet IS300 as a daily.

It sounds like I definitely have some research to do on header/exhaust set-ups. It will probably boil down to LG or AR headers and the Z06 Corsa Sport or the regular Vette Corsa Extreme exhaust.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jan 27 2008, 05:37 PM
I believe it was minimally optioned, so prob. not (it didn't have the HU display, if that helps).

I did a track event @ TWS w/ the CS this spring, and a friend who's a member @ MSR has invited me a couple of recent Fridays. First time was victimized by bad weather, then last Friday by bad insurance - I just discoved Progressive has excluded all on-track claims, whether timed/competitive or not. Until I can switch to an insurance carrier who will cover me, my track days are on hiatus since I'm not willing to shoulder that much risk of loss myself (not that I plan on crashing it, but as they say, $hit happens). I'd like to fix that, b/c after getting my first ticket in 3+ years yesterday, I'm going to be a bit more conservative w/ my speed for a little while.

I know Andi from my Supra Days ('99-'01) - not sure if he remembers me, but tell him I said hi.
The 1LT and the 2LT don't come with HUD and the 2LT has sport seats. Was the leather perforated? If not, it was the base seats.

I completely understand not wanting to run without insurance coverage. The risk is too high. TWS is my favorite track, definitely plan on getting out there later this year.

Sorry to hear about your ticket and I'll tell Andi hi for you.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 PM

My only beef with the Corsa is that its much heavier than the stock exhaust. I thought I would want to get rid of the stock but at wide open it sounds just fine.....
Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by kraemer007,Jan 27 2008, 10:06 PM
My only beef with the Corsa is that its much heavier than the stock exhaust. I thought I would want to get rid of the stock but at wide open it sounds just fine.....

Headers really wake up the stock catback and with a mild to wild it sounds downright nasty.

Whats up Tim? How are you enjoying your C6?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Jan 27 2008, 10:14 PM
Whats up Tim? How are you enjoying your C6?
I would be enjoying it much more if the fuzz would try and fight some real crime instead of ambushing drivers in the name of supposed "safety".

I love this car, but I sure wish sportscars were given legislated exclusivity to the left lane and a legally protected fuzz harassment exempt status. Once I am king of the world, thats the first law I pass...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM

I absolutely love my 08!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kraemer007,Jan 27 2008, 11:53 PM
I would be enjoying it much more if the fuzz would try and fight some real crime instead of ambushing drivers in the name of supposed "safety".

I love this car, but I sure wish sportscars were given legislated exclusivity to the left lane and a legally protected fuzz harassment exempt status. Once I am king of the world, thats the first law I pass...
When did you get the C6? Do you still have that E36 M3?

Quick Reply: Drove an '08 C6 Z51 last night