Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove an '08 C6 Z51 last night

Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Jan 27 2008, 04:45 PM]

I like LG headers, but I am leaning toward the AR headers with the 3" Z06 Corsa exhaust for my '08.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey,Jan 27 2008, 09:22 AM
awesome. Throws are easy to fix, just go get yourself a short shifter and now the bill is $42,150.

I have to agree that nothing touches the C6 on bang for the buck. The only thing ever close is the Z4M, and that is really only because it's being sold below invoice and $7500 in incentives (actually not sure that is still going on, but whatever)--so what I'm saying is the M is only a temporary price, the C6 can be had at that price all day.

I hate to blow this thread up, but...how was the interior? (100% serious)
Meh not quite that easy to fix. All the aftermarket shifters are super notchy and every single one of them rattles horribly. The shifting is probably my biggest complaint with the car.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:35 PM

Damn, makes me want a Vette! I drove a GTO with the LS2 and absolutely loved the power, but the shifter was atrocious. It would be cool to have a Vette though, 435hp is a alot!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jan 27 2008, 10:56 AM
Did the '08 you drove, Chris, have the sport seats? I opted for the 2LT package primarily for the side airbags, but it does also include the sport seats and power passenger seat. Still not sure why I didn't opt for the 3LT package, other than just being a cheap bastard.

I'm sure the LS3 is going to be perfect for me. With it being exclusively a fun evening/weekend and track day car, I'll feel better having a $43k car sitting in the garage most of the time than a $65k+ car parked, collecting dust, and depreciating.

I definitely plan on long tube headers, cat-back, and maybe intake. Andi (my buddy with the '07 Z06, you probably know him) thinks I should go with American Racing headers for the LS3, but then get a 3 inch x-pipe and then the 3" Z06 Corsa exhaust like he has. Supposedly quite a few people go that route to get the 3 inch system versus the 2.5 inch (I think) for the 'regular' Vettes.

Chris, do you do any track days with your Cayman S? You should come up to MSR Cresson sometime. I'm looking forward to chasing (or him chasing me ) my friend with the modded '06 911S.
I believe it was minimally optioned, so prob. not (it didn't have the HU display, if that helps).

I did a track event @ TWS w/ the CS this spring, and a friend who's a member @ MSR has invited me a couple of recent Fridays. First time was victimized by bad weather, then last Friday by bad insurance - I just discoved Progressive has excluded all on-track claims, whether timed/competitive or not. Until I can switch to an insurance carrier who will cover me, my track days are on hiatus since I'm not willing to shoulder that much risk of loss myself (not that I plan on crashing it, but as they say, $hit happens). I'd like to fix that, b/c after getting my first ticket in 3+ years yesterday, I'm going to be a bit more conservative w/ my speed for a little while.

I know Andi from my Supra Days ('99-'01) - not sure if he remembers me, but tell him I said hi.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jan 27 2008, 05:37 PM
Until I can switch to an insurance carrier who will cover me, my track days are on hiatus since I'm not willing to shoulder that much risk of loss myself (not that I plan on crashing it, but as they say, $hit happens). I'd like to fix that, b/c after getting my first ticket in 3+ years yesterday, I'm going to be a bit more conservative w/ my speed for a little while.
Good luck. I have been searching for a reputable company that covers non-timed events. I can't find one anymore. State Farm was one of the last hold outs, but they have very straightforward language now ruling out any kind of event. Allstate says 'any event held on a racing surface'. There was a big thread listing a bunch of companies and their language on the 'other' s2k board a while ago.

They have DE specific insurance that you can add on top of your regular insurance, but it's expensive.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Jan 27 2008, 12:22 PM
Chris, I would be interested in contrasting the Corvette with the Cayman S

While I'm sure the Vette has the power advantqage, a targa roof (which is nice) but if you were going to give the edge to the Cayman S is any areas what are they?

Do I keep the S2000 (like a fathful old dog)?.

Do want to sell the S2000 for something with more little more kick such as a Cayman/Boxster S or Elise or something with a lot more kick such as a Corvette or (wait a bit) for a GT3 to come down?

The other idea would be keep the S2000 and look for a performance car that's more GT-ish such as a M3..
Rai,

I was actually trying not to make it a Cayman S vs. C6 Z51, comparo, b/c they're such different cars, but since you asked, I'll try to cover the most salient points that come to mind. Overall, I clearly still prefer the CS, not b/c it's necessarily a better car, but b/c it's a better car for my taste and priorities.

Here's where the CS has the advantages:
- handling feel
- steering feel
- braking feel
- shift throw/feel (even moreso after installing the OEM short shifter, which is wonderful)
- seat comfort
- perceived quality
- interior/exterior styling
- engine sound
- the view over the hood

I'll call fuel economy a tie. The Vette does better on the highway, the CS prob. does better everywhere else - my friend said it really sucks down the fuel when he gets on it, but I can't recall ever getting a sub-18mpg tank (not counting @ TWS).

The C6, OTOH, wins on bang/buck, acceleration (by a fairly sizable margin, I have to admit), having a targa top (even better, the choice of solid &/or glass roofs), cheaper to mod if that's important to you, cool keyless entry/ignition, and aux input std. One thing that just came to mind is that my boss has an AMG SL 55 w/ a 500hp supercharged V8, and they feel comparably strong...but the AMG goes for somewhere north of $130K new. Sure, it has nicer leather, prestige, etc., but still!

Note that many of my preferences are subjective. If you're a #'s guy, go for the Vette w/o a doubt. It's thrilling to punch it, and I'd likely be more inclined to buy it if I could haul ass and burn rubber everywhere. In the real world, stuck in traffic, watching out for cops, and preferring twisties over straight line acceleration, I prefer the overall experience of the CS. I wouldn't kick an '08 C6 out of my garage, though, and it would be a tougher decision if I had to do it over again.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Chris S,Jan 27 2008, 07:37 PM] I believe it was minimally optioned, so prob. not (it didn't have the HU display, if that helps).

I did a track event @ TWS w/ the CS this spring, and a friend who's a member @ MSR has invited me a couple of recent Fridays.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jan 27 2008, 08:00 PM
Good luck. I have been searching for a reputable company that covers non-timed events. I can't find one anymore. State Farm was one of the last hold outs, but they have very straightforward language now ruling out any kind of event. Allstate says 'any event held on a racing surface'. There was a big thread listing a bunch of companies and their language on the 'other' s2k board a while ago.

They have DE specific insurance that you can add on top of your regular insurance, but it's expensive.
If that's the case, I may just have to stick to dirt bikes as my track time vehicle of choice. Crashing them rarely does more than scratch them up, they're made for it!

Eventually it would be nice to get a cheap track-prepped Miata or S2000 that I could beat on w/o worrying about a big financial loss.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Jan 27 2008, 08:01 PM
I have Allstate now but I can't get a clear answer from my agent on whether that is covered, you know what that means. I am thinking of going with State Farm.
Screw the agent, read your policy, and if you don't understand it, find someone who does.

The agent's answer doesn't mean jack, since the policy governs Allstate's liability. Two of my friends have State Farm and are still covered. Unfortunately, I suspect the growing popularity of track events, and increasing claims, will ultimately lead to more such exclusions.

I'm willing to take a write-off risk w/ my KTM Super Duke, but not my CS!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Jan 27 2008, 04:00 PM
As a side bonus most cops love Corvettes, I just had one let me go for 68 in a 40 less than a half hour ago.
He said " save the 70mph stuff for the hwy, now get outta here" to the Mckinney officer that just made my day.
My friend (w/ the C6) and I were stopped for 68 in a 55 on 1431 between Marble Falls and Lago Vista yesterday. It was TX DPS, and they don't seem to love anything or anyone. This one was pretty much of a dick just looking for revenue...we were hardly at risk of endangering anyone compared to trucks hauling boats, etc. @ 55.

Needless to say, both of us got speeding tickets, and in fact he had already gotten another one earlier that day. So much for that theory!

Of course, in our combined stop, maybe the cop's hatred for Porsche drivers spilled over to him for associating w/ me.

Quick Reply: Drove an '08 C6 Z51 last night