Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove an '08 C6 Z51 last night

Old 01-27-2008, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove an '08 C6 Z51 last night

Wow, what a big improvement over the prior years!

Actually has decent steering feel, and the clutch/shifter feel pretty good too, although the shift throws are still a bit longish.

The motor is a beast, and I found it hard to imagine why you'd need the extra power of a Z06 unless you really like roadside chats w/ the guys in blue.

The one I drove was bought for $42K new, which has to be the greatest bang for the buck you'll find in any car.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 425 Likes on 237 Posts

Glad to hear it! Can't wait to pick mine up here in the next few weeks (actual ETA should be known in a week or so).

As great as I hope the '08 Z51 LS3 is for the buck, I'm still wondering if I should have coughed up the extra $20k for the Z06. Drove my buddy's '07 Z06 yesterday for a while. He had American Racing long tube headers and Corsa sports installed. Damn, it just sounds absolutely incredible. Subdued at cruising speeds/rpms, but just screams when you lay into it. The sounds is a blend of a pissed off Mustang and a Nascar racer.

I hope my '08 LS3 sounds 75% as good with intake, headers, and exhaust!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome. Throws are easy to fix, just go get yourself a short shifter and now the bill is $42,150.

I have to agree that nothing touches the C6 on bang for the buck. The only thing ever close is the Z4M, and that is really only because it's being sold below invoice and $7500 in incentives (actually not sure that is still going on, but whatever)--so what I'm saying is the M is only a temporary price, the C6 can be had at that price all day.

I hate to blow this thread up, but...how was the interior? (100% serious)
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey,Jan 27 2008, 10:22 AM
I hate to blow this thread up, but...how was the interior? (100% serious)
Uh oh......

Seriously though, I thought the interior issue was laid to rest with recent improvements. At least to the point where it's hard to make an automatic joke.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior was fine, it's improved for '08 as well. The seats leave a bit to be desired comfort wise, but I could live w/ it just fine, esp. considering the price vs. performance.

Corey, the Z51 sounded great even w/ base exhaust, and was struggling to find traction on hard launches (the owner was egging me on, so I didn't want to disappoint him ). I'd still enjoy a Z06, but you need not feel like you're "settling" w/ the Z51 IMO.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 425 Likes on 237 Posts

Did the '08 you drove, Chris, have the sport seats? I opted for the 2LT package primarily for the side airbags, but it does also include the sport seats and power passenger seat. Still not sure why I didn't opt for the 3LT package, other than just being a cheap bastard.

I'm sure the LS3 is going to be perfect for me. With it being exclusively a fun evening/weekend and track day car, I'll feel better having a $43k car sitting in the garage most of the time than a $65k+ car parked, collecting dust, and depreciating.

I definitely plan on long tube headers, cat-back, and maybe intake. Andi (my buddy with the '07 Z06, you probably know him) thinks I should go with American Racing headers for the LS3, but then get a 3 inch x-pipe and then the 3" Z06 Corsa exhaust like he has. Supposedly quite a few people go that route to get the 3 inch system versus the 2.5 inch (I think) for the 'regular' Vettes.

Chris, do you do any track days with your Cayman S? You should come up to MSR Cresson sometime. I'm looking forward to chasing (or him chasing me ) my friend with the modded '06 911S.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 AM

I'm really fighting back the urge to get an '08 Vette. I think if they ever get to 0% financing on them, I'll cave for sure. I had thought that I'd prefer the P-car route (3.4 Boxster S or Cayman S), but I think I've come to the conclusion that if I'm buying a P-car, I really want a 911S (not because the BS and CS are lesser cars, but just because I love the look of the 997s, which are truly beautiful, IMO). And, I wouldn't want to spend the additional $20K or so now for a used 911S. Anyway, I'm really digging the '08 Vettes. I'd go 3LT black, with grey (not ebony) interior, Z51, NPP (that's the exhaust, right?), and silver-painted split spoke wheels.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:22 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris, I would be interested in contrasting the Corvette with the Cayman S

While I'm sure the Vette has the power advantqage, a targa roof (which is nice) but if you were going to give the edge to the Cayman S is any areas what are they?

Do I keep the S2000 (like a fathful old dog)?.

Do want to sell the S2000 for something with more little more kick such as a Cayman/Boxster S or Elise or something with a lot more kick such as a Corvette or (wait a bit) for a GT3 to come down?

The other idea would be keep the S2000 and look for a performance car that's more GT-ish such as a M3..

Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bjohnston,Jan 27 2008, 09:15 AM
I'm really fighting back the urge to get an '08 Vette. I think if they ever get to 0% financing on them, I'll cave for sure... Anyway, I'm really digging the '08 Vettes. I'd go 3LT black, with grey (not ebony) interior, Z51, NPP (that's the exhaust, right?), and silver-painted split spoke wheels.
careful what you wish for. I got mine last Feb. because of 0% apr, no money down, z51,etc. I wanted 2LT for side airbags, but no regrets. Besides, I'll probably get aftermarket seats anyways.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

I'd take 1LT, Z51, NPP, and nothing else.

Quick Reply: Drove an '08 C6 Z51 last night