Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Driving an SS for the week

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1349202695' post='22053276

Blah blah blah...
I don't think you have thought about what you said or what I said in reply. I didn't say the Camaro was good. I made no claim one way or the other. It could be a complete POS that rapes your cat. What you implied was that it was prototypical of some breed of car. That is the part I'm disputing. The rest of what you are ranting about is defending an ill-defined point that I wasn't disputing.

For you to be correct all domestics used as rentals must have cheap interiors and drive like crap as compared to the competing models from Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan etc.
I'm sorry, what?

Wouldn't it gone without saying that I was benchmarking it against other cars around the world?

Try putting together a coherent argument next time.
Perhaps you should reread what I said then think a bit more before replying again. You are saying because one GM car has an interior that isn't up to someone's liking that ALL GM rental cars have inferior handing and interiors vs other rental cars. I didn't realize the Camaro was the only GM rental car. I would have assumed they also sold say the Cruise and the Malibu to a few rental companies. I'm sure you have an expert opinion based on hearsay regarding those cars as well. Benchmarking a rental in the US against other rentals in the US would make more sense than benchmarking a US car vs a European rental. For your argument to be valid you should benchmark against other cars commonly rented in the US, not Europe or Australia where the Camaro is not often rented. If the average non-GM rental in the US is no better or worse than the average GM rental then your whole argument is full of crap. You do understand that as a rule the US car market typically has lower rent interiors vs a similar sized car overseas. This is true whether we are talking about GM, Ford, Hyundai, Toyota or whom ever.

It was clear that you were slagging on GM without having all the facts together and now you are trying to defend the statement rather than admitting it was an off the cuff comment and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM

I can recognize fecal matter by smell, and so I don't swallow it. YMMV

I may form an opinion based on the first-hand testimony of others, but I don't pretend my repetition of what others have said is the same as knowing. First-hand testimony may form my opinion, but my second- or third-hand report is of little use to others.

And while simply repeating what has been published in magazines and broadcast on television might carry weight with others similarly without any first-hand experience, it carries ZERO weight with people with first-hand experience. I have first-hand experience, as do many other people, so your third-hand reports of what we've all heard and read just comes across as petulant ignorance. Stop it. You have plenty of first-hand experiences that can inform others. Refrain from insisting that repeating things you've heard is more important than what you've done.

It's not that complicated - the opinions of people who have no real experience are useless. What kind of mind believes otherwise?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Wait, you are in Australia right? You have the Holden Commodore, which is what the Camaro is based on, and that car is almost universally praised (by the exact SAME people you quoted) and one of the things that is noted about the Commodore is not only its engine, but its handling prowess.

How do you explain that?
Having driven an SS and other VY, VU Commodores (including a de-tuned V8 Supercar which isn't really a Commodore anymore) - perhaps comparing to a Camaro or similar it may have handling prowess or when comparing to similar cars but definitely not in the larger playing field.
High speed stability though is somewhat noteworthy but because of the weight and potentially suspension setup, transitions and low speed cornering can get quite loose (on the car I drove anyway, not heavily modded by any means). Steering feedback is somewhat dull but not horrendous. A fun car to drive under power but I wouldn't associate handling prowess with it personally

Just for fun to add... the de-tuned V8 Supercar however was awesome to drive. Surprisingly nimble, weight issue not as apparent (for obvious reasons), feedback still felt a bit dull but much better than it's original form. The power delivery is worlds apart from the S2000 ahah. For the local Aussies here (or even visiting people to Melbourne who love cars), I'd recommend jumping into one of the V8 Supercars at one of the Calder park raceway days for fun

For reference: I have driven quite a number of different Japanese, few European (Including 1 Ferrari ) and a few local Aussie cars
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1349230706' post='22054540
[quote name='rockville' timestamp='1349202695' post='22053276']

Blah blah blah...
I don't think you have thought about what you said or what I said in reply. I didn't say the Camaro was good. I made no claim one way or the other. It could be a complete POS that rapes your cat. What you implied was that it was prototypical of some breed of car. That is the part I'm disputing. The rest of what you are ranting about is defending an ill-defined point that I wasn't disputing.

For you to be correct all domestics used as rentals must have cheap interiors and drive like crap as compared to the competing models from Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan etc.
I'm sorry, what?

Wouldn't it gone without saying that I was benchmarking it against other cars around the world?

Perhaps you should reread what I said then think a bit more before replying again. You are saying because one GM car has an interior that isn't up to someone's liking that ALL GM rental cars have inferior handing and interiors vs other rental cars. I didn't realize the Camaro was the only GM rental car. I would have assumed they also sold say the Cruise and the Malibu to a few rental companies. I'm sure you have an expert opinion based on hearsay regarding those cars as well. Benchmarking a rental in the US against other rentals in the US would make more sense than benchmarking a US car vs a European rental. For your argument to be valid you should benchmark against other cars commonly rented in the US, not Europe or Australia where the Camaro is not often rented. If the average non-GM rental in the US is no better or worse than the average GM rental then your whole argument is full of crap. You do understand that as a rule the US car market typically has lower rent interiors vs a similar sized car overseas. This is true whether we are talking about GM, Ford, Hyundai, Toyota or whom ever.

It was clear that you were slagging on GM without having all the facts together and now you are trying to defend the statement rather than admitting it was an off the cuff comment and shouldn't be taken seriously.
[/quote]

You misunderstood me in the first place. I wasn't slagging off rental cars. I was referring to the SS as a rental car, because it starts life as one, ala Motor Trend. You aren't really arguing against anyone but yourself here. I never generalized anything.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
I can recognize fecal matter by smell, and so I don't swallow it. YMMV

I may form an opinion based on the first-hand testimony of others, but I don't pretend my repetition of what others have said is the same as knowing. First-hand testimony may form my opinion, but my second- or third-hand report is of little use to others.

And while simply repeating what has been published in magazines and broadcast on television might carry weight with others similarly without any first-hand experience, it carries ZERO weight with people with first-hand experience. I have first-hand experience, as do many other people, so your third-hand reports of what we've all heard and read just comes across as petulant ignorance. Stop it. You have plenty of first-hand experiences that can inform others. Refrain from insisting that repeating things you've heard is more important than what you've done.

It's not that complicated - the opinions of people who have no real experience are useless. What kind of mind believes otherwise?
So now that you're finished side stepping the point of the argument, are you saying that these American cars (GT500, ZL1, SS etc) ARE well built and have good real world (other than straight line horsepower) performance?

Yes I recognize cars like the ZR1 Corvette are very capable, but the others do not appear to be.

Hey Nuncostr8, why don't you use your "first hand experience" to describe to me how well built these cars are, or how well they perform under real world conditions?

All you've done is attack my method of observation without providing any concrete claims to back up what you're saying.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1349235552' post='22054719
[quote name='nofearofdanger' timestamp='1349230706' post='22054540']

Blah blah blah...

I'm sorry, what?

[/quote]

You misunderstood me in the first place. I wasn't slagging off rental cars. I was referring to the SS as a rental car, because it starts life as one, ala Motor Trend. You aren't really arguing against anyone but yourself here. I never generalized anything.
[/quote]
Look at your original quote. Are you referring to the Camaro as a rental or rentals from GM? The Camaro is hardly a common rental. A few Camaros are sold as rentals but this isn't an Impala. The primary market for Camaros isn't rentals. Since you know what you meant and have run around your meaning perhaps you could clarify your original post. Did you mean business as usual that the Camaro didn't have a great interior or business as usual GM doesn't make a great interior or perhaps something else?

"really arguing against anyone but yourself here." You can say it but you didn't explain it. I'm calling BS.

"I never generalized anything." I'm calling more BS
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1349230706' post='22054540

Blah blah blah...

I'm sorry, what?

[/quote]

Also - I've noticed you're always vehemently defending GM, do you have connections to the company?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1349237301' post='22054770
[quote name='rockville' timestamp='1349235552' post='22054719']
[quote name='nofearofdanger' timestamp='1349230706' post='22054540']

Blah blah blah...

I'm sorry, what?

[/quote]

[/quote]
Look at your original quote. Are you referring to the Camaro as a rental or rentals from GM? The Camaro is hardly a common rental. A few Camaros are sold as rentals but this isn't an Impala. The primary market for Camaros isn't rentals. Since you know what you meant and have run around your meaning perhaps you could clarify your original post. Did you mean business as usual that the Camaro didn't have a great interior or business as usual GM doesn't make a great interior or perhaps something else?

"really arguing against anyone but yourself here." You can say it but you didn't explain it. I'm calling BS.

"I never generalized anything." I'm calling more BS
[/quote]

I mean relative to other companies from EU and Japan, America makes cars with crap build quality.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Thought I made that clear from the start - obviously not.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by dombey
So I'm traveling for work and my rental is a black on black camaro SS.
Initial impressions are:

-this car is gigantic, and is made worse by extremely bad visibility.
-despite being huge, I feel like Shaq getting into it; my head almost touches the roof (I'm 6'2")
-driving position is awful. I messed with the seat and adjustable steering column for a while and gave up. I feel like I'm driving a school bus.
-feels very tame driving around town. When you stomp it, it goes very well. It downshifts relatively quickly for an auto, gets the right gear most of the time. However, due to the auto you never really get to feel the torque pull you in a higher gear unless u use the paddles, which I haven't yet. But I will.
-not even close to being loud inside. With windows down, also not loud. Maybe I'm used to my car with the intake, but I was expecting a lot more drama.
-interior is throwback meets space mountain.
-probably because the rental has been beaten, but it sort of floats down the highway and requires a lot of little steering corrections...maybe the alignment is off? I felt like I really needed to pay attention to keep it from drifting out of my lane at 75.
-when you close the door, you can visibly see the window and door vibrate as it clangs shut.
-if there is one thing that I would fix at this point, it would be to add a sport button to sharpen the throttle response. It is like my car in "snow" mode. The power is there, but you have to get really deep into the pedal to find it, which makes the whole experience sloppy and slow feeling.

Would I buy one? No.
If you call me out based on my lack of first hand experience, why not speak to dombey about it. His review of the interior is exactly what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Driving an SS for the week