Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Driving an SS for the week

Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work at a Chevy dealerships and maaaan these SSs are trash. The doors are sooo floppy. Multiply that floppiness by 2 with the convertibles. The entire door flops around when you open it. Its soooo cheap.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the "17 mile drive" out to Pebble Beach, etc. Also enjoyed Hwy 41 between Morro Bay and Atascadero. Lots of sweepers, good road, no enforcement (been a while, road that on a CB1100F).
Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM

I saw one of those at 711 raising the top and I watched it for what felt like an eternity. Just when I though I couldn't appreciate my S more, how quickly the top lowers and raises became ten times more impressive.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishfryer
Hardtops suck.
but..but.. I like my hardtop!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
the LS3 comes pretty tame from the factory. If you really want to hear that LS motor, all it needs is headers..
Interesting opinions here. I am not going to change anyone's mind and I am not defending anyone (after all I have a mint 2003 S2K) but I think a few facts need to be written. I have driven all versions of the new Camaro, BTW.
  • The 6 speed automatic Camaro is equipped with the L99 (NOT the LS3) engine. The engines may have the same 6.2L displacement but they are significantly different. The L99 has variable valve timing and something called Displacement on Demand. At cruising speed, DOD engages and shuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders. There is a very small lag in the time it takes the DOD to dis-engage. There are other differences but I'll leave it at that.
  • The 6-speed manual Camaro is equipped with the LS3. This is the real deal - in stock form it produces slightly more HP and torque numbers than the L99 without DOD and VVT. Since you are in total control of the revs and what gear you are in, this is going to give the best overall performance. Just depends on what you are after.
  • The V6 Camaro is by no means a slouch. After all, Jay Leno has a V6 in his stable that was tweaked and tuned by GM to produce 1hp less than the LS3. Not bad at all.
  • Finally, headers might help but to really squeeze the last drop of performance form the LS3 you need to tune the engine for performance. The LSx engine is awesome and properly tuned they are magnificent.
Having said all this, I won't disagree the Camaro is hard to see out of. They are also very heavy compared to the S2K. However, you can take a bit of cash and make a few tweaks here and there and transform the LS3 into even a more powerful engine. As far as comfort, I would take the Camaro any day for a long trip. I've done long trips in both cars and the Camaro has the edge. However, for a blast on a twisty road, the S2K wins hands down. Finally, build quality is much better than before so just saying "business as usual" is not true at all.

The Camaro is not for everyone, just like the S2K is not for everyone. Does the Camaro have the lazer sharp handling the S2K has? No. It was never intended to be. However, as we all know the S2K has no torque and even mine (which incidentally had 4700 miles when I picked it up 5 months ago) takes a while to get really going. You have to rev the thing up and keep it there. The Camaro is the opposite. Depends what you want out of a car.

I own several cars and enjoy each one for what it does best and it depends what you want to do with the car. Like I said before, each has strengths and weaknesses. Would I own a new LS3 6 speed, HELL yes. I've been looking for a used low mileage copy in the right color for some time - I'll find one, just like I found my S2K...
Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned my SS for a little over a year now, and would echo some of the comments above. I have the 6mt LS3, which makes 386whp with an intake and tune. To appreciate this car you have to understand it for what it is. It's not about ergonomics, agility, reflexes, corner-carving, or any of that. This car is about Attitude. It's the closest thing to an everyday Batmobile other than the actual Batmobile. It's big on the outside and small on the inside. It's hard to see out of and there's a lot of plastic on the inside. But all of those things can be forgotten once you twist the ignition. This car (LS3) roars to life and is just mean and menacing all over. People move out of the way when you're behind them. Other than that, it does everything else pretty well for its size and weight, but it's never going to feel anything close to an S2000. If you want a comfortable GT car with power and attitude to spare, then this is a car you should seriously consider. If you want anything else, keep looking...
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
The PCH is a decent drive, the better roads are on the coastal highway above SF!
I drove the majority of the time I was in SF/Santa Barbara but did not drive the stretch just south of Pebble Beach/Carmel. Worst car sickness I have ever had. I would have been fine had I been driving.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by asrautox
I've owned my SS for a little over a year now, and would echo some of the comments above. I have the 6mt LS3, which makes 386whp with an intake and tune. To appreciate this car you have to understand it for what it is. It's not about ergonomics, agility, reflexes, corner-carving, or any of that. This car is about Attitude. It's the closest thing to an everyday Batmobile other than the actual Batmobile. It's big on the outside and small on the inside. It's hard to see out of and there's a lot of plastic on the inside. But all of those things can be forgotten once you twist the ignition. This car (LS3) roars to life and is just mean and menacing all over. People move out of the way when you're behind them. Other than that, it does everything else pretty well for its size and weight, but it's never going to feel anything close to an S2000. If you want a comfortable GT car with power and attitude to spare, then this is a car you should seriously consider. If you want anything else, keep looking...
Agreed. The sound of the LS motor is fantastic.
My LS3 now is at 420, with headers, intake, xpipe and tune.

To the previous poster that mentioned tune, yes it will help with power, but for just the noise factor, there is nothing that opens up the sound quality of the LS motor like headers.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1348655824' post='22038730
Business as usual then.
What is usual?
Rental-spec American cars built like crap and drive like crap?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1348682396' post='22039687
[quote name='nofearofdanger' timestamp='1348655824' post='22038730']
Business as usual then.
What is usual?
Rental-spec American cars built like crap and drive like crap?
[/quote]
Ah, yes, generalizations based on outdated truths.

Quick Reply: Driving an SS for the week