Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Driving an SS for the week

Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving an SS for the week

So I'm traveling for work and my rental is a black on black camaro SS.
Initial impressions are:

-this car is gigantic, and is made worse by extremely bad visibility.
-despite being huge, I feel like Shaq getting into it; my head almost touches the roof (I'm 6'2")
-driving position is awful. I messed with the seat and adjustable steering column for a while and gave up. I feel like I'm driving a school bus.
-feels very tame driving around town. When you stomp it, it goes very well. It downshifts relatively quickly for an auto, gets the right gear most of the time. However, due to the auto you never really get to feel the torque pull you in a higher gear unless u use the paddles, which I haven't yet. But I will.
-not even close to being loud inside. With windows down, also not loud. Maybe I'm used to my car with the intake, but I was expecting a lot more drama.
-interior is throwback meets space mountain.
-probably because the rental has been beaten, but it sort of floats down the highway and requires a lot of little steering corrections...maybe the alignment is off? I felt like I really needed to pay attention to keep it from drifting out of my lane at 75.
-when you close the door, you can visibly see the window and door vibrate as it clangs shut.
-if there is one thing that I would fix at this point, it would be to add a sport button to sharpen the throttle response. It is like my car in "snow" mode. The power is there, but you have to get really deep into the pedal to find it, which makes the whole experience sloppy and slow feeling.

Would I buy one? No.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 AM

Business as usual then.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Dombey - Did you think it felt like a cave inside? That was how I felt from having one as a rental/loaner. Mine wasn't an SS but once inside I felt like the roof was closing in on me and the visibility out of the sides and back was terrible. Plus it was just dark in there.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Me and the wife are flying into LAX in two weeks and renting a SS Convertible and taking a week to drive the PCH. I originally wanted the Corvette convertible, but they didn't offer unlimited miles (Hertz) so I settled for the Camaro. The only other convertibles offered are the Volvo C70 and the Chrysler 200, so with those options in mind the SS seemed to be the best choice. I do wish they offered a Mustang GT convertible, that would have been ideal.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM

the LS3 comes pretty tame from the factory. If you really want to hear that LS motor, all it needs is headers.. man what a difference it makes...
Ironically, the Camaro is based on the G8 chassis and i love that car, but don't like the Camaro at all!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 AM

Hardtops suck. Sometimes you HAVE to own one, but every car is improved with the droptop option. I think this was the mistake Cadillac made with the Cimmeron and AMC made with the Gremlin.

I started drinking early today. Cheers.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Business as usual then.
What is usual?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Me and the wife are flying into LAX in two weeks and renting a SS Convertible and taking a week to drive the PCH. I originally wanted the Corvette convertible, but they didn't offer unlimited miles (Hertz) so I settled for the Camaro. The only other convertibles offered are the Volvo C70 and the Chrysler 200, so with those options in mind the SS seemed to be the best choice. I do wish they offered a Mustang GT convertible, that would have been ideal.
That is a fun drive. The wife and I did that for our honeymoon. Flew to LA, rented a 128i vert and drove up PCH all the way to SF and back stopping along the way to eat, play golf and relax. There's a really fun stretch between Hearst Castle and Carmel through the mountains with tons of twisties and great views. The GPS said 1.5 hrs to make it through the stretch, I made it in 38 minutes driving like it was an autocross
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

The PCH is a decent drive, the better roads are on the coastal highway above SF!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
That is a fun drive. The wife and I did that for our honeymoon. Flew to LA, rented a 128i vert and drove up PCH all the way to SF and back stopping along the way to eat, play golf and relax. There's a really fun stretch between Hearst Castle and Carmel through the mountains with tons of twisties and great views. The GPS said 1.5 hrs to make it through the stretch, I made it in 38 minutes driving like it was an autocross
This will be for our 1st wedding anniversary, really didnt have a chance to do anything for our honeymoon so we decided to do something special. We have a few places we want to visit ( Hearst Castle, Solvang, Alcatraz, Monterrey Bay Aquarium, Pebble Beach, etc.) but no set schedule. Looking to just enjoy the drive and explore the coast.

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
The PCH is a decent drive, the better roads are on the coastal highway above SF!
We are planning to fly into LAX and drive directly to San Francisco on the first day, then work our way south till we end up in LA again. Any specific areas in San Fran and north that you recommend? Like I said above, we don't have a set schedule, just certain places we would like to see.

Quick Reply: Driving an SS for the week