Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

driving impressions

Old 11-14-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default driving impressions

i work at a local Mitsubishi dealer that deals heavily in aftermark performace parts for evos, eclipses, galants all that good stuff. as a result we tend to get some interesting trades in. last night a very nice guy traded his 06 elise for a new EVO9 MR.

anywho, today i was asked by our sales manager if i like to take the elise out. i accepted and took the elise for alittle spin. disclaimer: i did NOT beat on the elise at all, i think its wrong to beat on a car that someone else is going to buy. that means no clutch drops,drifts, rental car stuff.

the elise is really an amazing little car. i did however hurt my lower back just getting in the damn thing, but other than that, wow. through the first 3 gears it pulls nicely, but power nose dives in 4th. i'd say it felt about the same as my modded S2000 as far as striaght line speed goes, maybe give the edge to the s2 over 80 or so. the handling was amazing, just like you hear. it just grips and grips and grips. i would hold harder than i had the balls to push it.

some of the things i didnt really like about the elise are kinda subjective. the 1zz toyota power plant is nice, but feels hesitant to rev and much like the s2k if it falls off the vvti cams its dead. the shifter was nothing specail, not even on par with the evo's and certainly not the s2k's. its totally impracitcal, hard to get and out of and really sucks for any kind of traffic. i stalled it twice driving slowly at low speed(3-5mph).

other than that, it was a real treat to be able to drive such a car.

the EVO was also a nice ride, althought i have probably driven more EVOs than s2ks this new 9 was very quick. at our dealer we sell WORKS parts and are in fact the pacific northwests only authorized distrubtor of their products. so on occasion we equip new evos with WORKS parts and then sell them. that is the case with the evo9MR. it currently has a WORKS drop in filter, WORKS full TBE, cosworth 272 cams, and a WORKS P2R reflash along with a WORKS evo9 white rabbit turbo pumping out 24psi with a 7700 rpm redline.

this car moves. with traction issues(thats right) at any speed in first gear its and odd feeling in a AWD car. second and third fly by and if you never lift it pulls just as hard into 6th. other than the insane power increase (about 380awhp) its your run of the mill EVO9MR. the evo is also the only 9( to my knowledge) to have cosworth cams and Ti springs and retainer. to WORKS and the fact that this car is still covered under the factory warrenty.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:48 PM

So how much does said bad-@ss WORKS-modified Evo9 cost?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM

46K....
Old 11-14-2006, 02:05 PM

damn...that's spendy.

I got my Evo IX SSL for around 31,299 MRs were 32,299. So that's another 13-14k...ouch. Comes with a factory warranty though..so that's cool. If you have that stuff put in after buying the evo is it still covered?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 14 2006, 03:05 PM
damn...that's spendy.

I got my Evo IX SSL for around 31,299 MRs were 32,299. So that's another 13-14k...ouch. Comes with a factory warranty though..so that's cool. If you have that stuff put in after buying the evo is it still covered?
as long as its a WORK part(s) then yes. you can bolt on 450whp and be totally cover under warrenty. WORKS is a bit spendy but have a modded evo under warrenty is almost priceless.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Nov 14 2006, 11:14 PM
as long as its a WORK part(s) then yes. you can bolt on 450whp and be totally cover under warrenty. WORKS is a bit spendy but have a modded evo under warrenty is almost priceless.
pretty cool.
so you do you have a price list or package list with installation fees I could look at?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 14 2006, 03:34 PM
pretty cool.
so you do you have a price list or package list with installation fees I could look at?
no, not really. i have a price list for all WORKS parts but they have my cost on them so that really wouldnt work out too well. for you though, just surf worksevo.com and let me know what your interested in and i'll give you employee cost for what ever your looking into.

if your looking for a decent jump in power and still having near stock drivablity i would recommend the TR-360 package:

WORKS drop in filter
WORKS TBE
WORKS P1 flash(7500 rpm redline and 23 psi in all gears to redline)
WORKS white rabbit turbo(stock 9 turbo thats been massaged for better flow)

that package is good for about 330awhp and i sell it for about $2700 before service tacts on labor. it takes about a day for the entire package to be installed and that includes the down time for me to ship your ecu to WORKS for them to flash it.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=versionJDM,Nov 14 2006, 11:54 PM] no, not really.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Nov 15 2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to buy right now, but maybe early next year. I have one question though about the white rabbit turbo. Can you get the package without that turbo? I am looking at works' website and they say it increases power above 22psi, but if i'm only boosting 23 psi I wonder how much it really helps? It seems like the most expensive piece and I'm not sure what is the real, tangible gain. Thanks for the info.

Also, I couldn't find the 360 package on their website. I could only fine the 340 which is no turbo, but has cams instead. Do you guys sell that one too?
ya, the TR packages are totally customizable(sp?). the white rabbit does make more of a diff than you'd think, but i understand where your coming from. you can make a TR any why you want, turbo and cams, just turbo, just cams. the cosworth 272's also idle alot smoother than the HKS or any other 272 i driven heard.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Nov 14 2006, 03:31 PM
some of the things i didnt really like about the elise are kinda subjective. the 1zz toyota power plant is nice, but feels hesitant to rev and much like the s2k if it falls off the vvti cams its dead. the shifter was nothing specail, not even on par with the evo's and certainly not the s2k's. its totally impracitcal, hard to get and out of and really sucks for any kind of traffic. i stalled it twice driving slowly at low speed(3-5mph).
I dont know who gave you your info but the Elise uses the 2zzge powerplant and uses VVTLi (or maybe its vvtiL) cams.

Quick Reply: driving impressions