Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drivers of Automatic/Flappy Paddle Cars

Old 08-24-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Originally Posted by Driven' timestamp='1440431457' post='23724422
Mind you, I enjoy rowing thru the gears, heel-toe gear changes, etc, etc...
BUT, I absolutely love paddling thru gear changes. Coming into a corner, pulling back a few times for the downshifts... it's just absolute fun. Then, when I'm tired after a long day at the track, I can put it in auto, and enjoy a leisurely drive. Oh, do I want to romp on it at an onramp? Sweet, put it back into manual mode, go for it.

While most systems made in the past 5-10 years have been quite good, some still struggle in stop-and-go traffic. Even though, I'd much rather have that than riding a clutch in stop and go traffic.

Worst part about paddle-shifters though, neutral isn't as intuitive or easy to engage in case you need to do so.
Second worst part, cost to repair. I can replace and rebuild my gearbox in my garage. Not sure how I'd fix a flappy-paddle box.
Third worst part, people complaining about "no manual". :/

Bottom line, is it more fun? To me, absolutely. It has a DCT or a clutch based system... not an automatic with flappy-paddles.

Reference: I worked as an instructor at one of those "arrive and drive" type of venues for high end cars. I've logged thousands of miles driving these cars on and off track, as well as even more sitting right seat.
What car do you have with the paddles?
I personally do not own a car with paddles... but I was cross-shopping the Alfa Romeo 4c with my current car (which is a manual).

I've driven on track and on the street all of the "common" exotic/super cars (ie. 458, scud, superleggera, aventadour, etc).
Old 08-24-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

A proper flappy-paddle gearbox:
  • In heavy traffic: is soooo much less aggravating than a manual. Big win.
  • In day-to-day traffic: fades into the background, and thus doesn't bring any fun to the table. Takes away from the drive.
  • In spirited driving: delivers a great degree of performance and control, and really elevates the experience of controlling the car with steering and throttle and listening to what the car is telling you. Another big win.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the DSG in my S4. As stated before, the Audi DSGs do amazing things. The revmatch capability in mine (in sport mode) is quick and the gear changes are lightning fast. I have taken one or two spirited drives on some very twisty roads and being able to concentrate on steering has been a real learning experience. Same road on the S was as fun but more stressful in working the gears. And when I am driving around town, leaving it in auto mode is a great plus!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al
I've never driven a car with a good automated manual system, and I likely will never own one of the "good" ones unfortunately. I'm trying to figure out a plan to somehow save the S and still get a car that both me and the wife can drive, but it'll have to be a real soul-sucker given the cost of having 3 cars. I hate growing up.
"never" is a long time. Most manufacturer are phasing out manual, heck they are phasing out the driver for that matter. in 20 years, I think automated cars will be the norm. However before that, I see automated systems being better than manual.

I have 3 cars: manual, paddle, and auto
the paddle car is the most fun but not an apple-apple comparison. As good as the S2000 manual is, for the overall package, the paddle car is better (ie more fun).
Old 08-25-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
They make aggressive track driving more manageable and street driving more boring. So basically, for 99.5% of my driving, it's a "lose".
This. As a daily driver it's an automatic, if you're trying to take turns fast it makes it simpler. But if you want more involvement like thinking about how you're going to shift to make it around the next bend... thats where you lose out.

I had a MKV R32, only came with the DSG transmission. It was really nice to drive to work in traffic, but when we did group drives it was not as fun as an s2000. It's better than a regular automatic, but definitely minimal involvement.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Why buy an automatic and not use it? I can never remember which paddle does what so don't bother. Besides, real men are content to let their children and gears shift for themselves.

-- Chuck
giddyup!

darcy
Old 08-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Love the BMW Sport Auto transmission and the DCTs.

I have driven the E92 M3, the F82 M4 and our own 435i M-Sport, all auto and all out. Put it in sport manual and you can hold it at redline all day. Never a money shift either.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the pleasure of taking some short rides today in a new Z06 and 911 GTS. Both manual, and both gorgeous in white. We all surely know what they look like but just so that I don't get hit with the TITTYWOP:

Given I rode shotgun and the rides were barely 10 minutes each, there's nothing worth mentioning that nobody already knows. I did ask the Porsche driver why he didn't opt for the PDK, and his answer was basically that he preferred the manual was all. If he had wanted the auto he would have went with the GT3. Also, I commented about how I didn't think Porsche exhaust notes were all that great, and while the GTS's wasn't better than the Z06's it did sound worlds better on the inside than any Porsche exhaust I've heard from the outside.

The Z06 was like warp speed. I want one.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I've driven Cayman S with PDK many times and it's not as fun as a manual; plain and simple. Faster - yes, better in traffic - yes. Onless you drive mainly stop & go traffic or your paycheck rides on your finishing in 1st place, I'd stick with manual.
Apparently, he thought so too. He's traded in the Cayman S tomorrow on a new 991 with a manual. He too realized that it's more fun to drive a manual and the whole point of owning such cars is having fun (a couple of other factors in his decision as well).

Anyone looking for '14 Cayman S with like 8K miles, Herb Chambers has one on the lot... The car is mint. I'll drive the 991 on Monday when I am back in town. 991 looks great in the pictures. Seal grey, duck tail, ventilated seats, GTS package...
Old 08-31-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
They make aggressive track driving more manageable and street driving more boring. So basically, for 99.5% of my driving, it's a "lose".
That's a good one....

OP, pay off your S2000 and keep your garage clean. a free car that takes up little space in the garage will stay off your wife's radar...

I searched long and hard for a manual in my daily S4, I never regret seeing the stick in-between the seats. any drive is fun and so far haven't bitched about being in traffic. it will likely be the last DD with a manual in it and heal toeing, rev matching will be as popular as making mixed tapes sorry mixed CDs with the younger generation, indeed a lost art...

Now if you ask me to get into a car on the track especially one I don't know I'd rather have the paddles, no doubt the car can shift and "heal toe" better than me and yeah money shifts... ouch.

Quick Reply: Drivers of Automatic/Flappy Paddle Cars