Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Driverless cars.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
My point was that if we wished to avoid "talking out your ass" we best not assume that "there will be considerably less injuries and therefore considerably less lawsuits if you take the drivers out of the equation." Since human error is definitely *not* "clearly the leading factor in car accidents." It may be, but I didn't see that provided by the OP's graphic.

What was claimed was that "inattentive driving" accounted for only 25% of accidents and only 16% of fatalities. That leaves 75% of accidents and 84% of fatalities caused by something other than not paying attention. Weather factors account for many accidents where I live, and is the second leading cause of accidents in the US. Alcohol is the leading cause of accidents in the US, therefore improved public transportation and taxis would seem to offer more promise than driverless cars.

Over half of the fatalities in 2010 weren't wearing a seatbelt. One might assert that if everyone wore a seatbelt, fatalities could be reduced by half, which is much more significant than the 16% we'd assume a perfect driverless car system would produce. I don't believe that it's that simple, but it's clear money would be better spent encouraging seat belt use than promoting driverless cars if safety was ever really the main concern of these companies.

The fact is that Google and the other companies promoting driverless car technologies hope to make money selling expensive systems that don't really offer much in the way of improved safety compared to better car designs and improvements in seat belt usage.

You make it so hard to respond to you without making fun of you, but I'll try my best.

I clearly said "human error," which you, in a rather simplistic fashion fueled by your typical hubris, mistook as me saying "distracted driving" and proceeded to make deductive arguments built on this faulty premise. I'll assume for conversation sake that you're smart enough to understand the difference between the two and I'll refrain from dissecting the problems with your post and give you time to go, "Oh yeah, I did base my entire response on the fact that I thought you were talking about distracted driving exclusively when you were actually talking about human error in all forms, and therefore my entire rebuttal came across looking like a feeble strawman argument."

I don't disagree with much of what you said because your offering counter points to arguments you only thought I made. Try paying better attention next time and maybe don't get so worked up thinking you're going to school somebody and you won't make such obvious mistakes. In other words, anybody else would have not found themselves in your position because most people on this forum aren't so volatile that they post before they think.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really. Rather than concede points that aren't arguable, you pretend I didn't understand what you wrote? Wow, that's a novel debating method.

Why so sensitive? You can't pre-emptively accuse people of "talking out their ass" and not expect your own posts to be subject to some criticism. You made an assertion that is not supported by the facts. I pointed that out. It's not very sensible to get pissy or try to defend your opinions without facts. Acknowledge that you were wrong, support your opinion with data, or keep quiet. Wasting paragraphs attempting to seem rational while trying to insult the other person is just embarassing to watch. Mildly entertaining, but awkward.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Jesus Christ. How goddamn pathetic are you? I said that most accidents are caused by human error and you start in talking about distracted driving specifically. READ WHAT I FVKKING WROTE, brainiac. I said human error, as in all forms of human error, and you started arguing about distracted driving exclusively, which represents on a fraction of accidents attributable to human error. What part of that can your feeble mind not understand?

Simple question: Can you seriously not understand that human error encompasses distracted driving but is not limited to distracted driving? Now if you want to debate whether or not human error is the largest cause of accidents, that's one thing (which you'd seriously have to be out of your mind to think that something other than human error could possibly be a more significant factor), but that's not what you're doing. No, you're arguing against points I never made. Simply pathetic. You're like a goddamn genital wart on the balls of this forum.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Mr.E.G.,

I hope you enjoyed your time on S2ki.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k
Mr.E.G.,

That's weird that he got banned for all of that. I see equivalent flaming and trash-talking in Car Talk all the time from several other posters. I can't even remember ANYONE in this forum getting banned just for getting into a heated argument. :\
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by Slows2k' timestamp='1330397132' post='21457238
Mr.E.G.,

That's weird that he got banned for all of that. I see equivalent flaming and trash-talking in Car Talk all the time from several other posters. I can't even remember ANYONE in this forum getting banned just for getting into a heated argument. :\
I agree. That's crap.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1330399162' post='21457353
[quote name='Slows2k' timestamp='1330397132' post='21457238']
Mr.E.G.,

I agree. That's crap.
[/quote]

It's especially crap because so many of us are just as guilty of trolling, arguing, being rude to one another, and finally getting over it and continuing along with business. If Mr. EG is worthy of being banned, at the very least Steponme deserves a ban as well considering he's said equally bad/worse things.

Car Talk is a place where people can converge to talk about all makes and models of cars. The diversity also breeds conflicting opinions/personalities. And just like on other forums with "Car Talk" sections, it's normal for things to get heated.

A temp ban? Fair enough, but other people deserve one as well if we're going to be fair. A perm ban? EG didn't deserve that. No one in Car Talk truly does.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Personal attacks are against s2ki rules. The car talk forum shares those rules. If you can't not disagree without stooping to name calling find another forum.