Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

drill for our own oil

Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000spoon,Jun 18 2008, 12:23 PM
I say drill to keep a steady supply, not drive down the price of gas.

Ppl need to learn not to waste energy and learn to be more efficient.
This is the only way ppl will learn is to hit them in their wallets.

Govt should drill and sell to pay down the deficit. Make America rich like
Dubai.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by S2000spoon,Jun 18 2008, 12:23 PM
Ppl need to learn not to waste energy and learn to be more efficient.
This is the only way ppl will learn is to hit them in their wallets.
Here's what I don't understand about your statement. Why should oil be treated differently than any other commodity? Why should prices be held artificially high to curb consumption? Would you also limit supply of beef to keep people healthier? You get the point...

Be confident in the knowledge that when government dips its hand in the marketplace, consumers will ultimately suffer. Let's drill for our current needs and give incentives for renewable energy initiatives, as indicated by a previous poster. The two are NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Jun 18 2008, 12:08 PM
The best only sensible thing to do is get off of oil and find other sources of energy.
correction
Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Axel6,Jun 18 2008, 03:42 PM
Here's what I don't understand about your statement. Why should oil be treated differently than any other commodity? Why should prices be held artificially high to curb consumption? Would you also limit supply of beef to keep people healthier? You get the point...

Be confident in the knowledge that when government dips its hand in the marketplace, consumers will ultimately suffer. Let's drill for our current needs and give incentives for renewable energy initiatives, as indicated by a previous poster. The two are NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.
Doesn't the Govt have their hands in everything already?

If beef goes up...I'll eat pork....if that goes up....i'll eat chicken.

There are alternatives....no lesson will be learn if it doesn't hurt one way or another.

Funny thing happend no long ago...I see this lady roll up in her
Expedition. She walk into Starbucks with her friend. While standing
in line..I hear her compained about $4 gas and how she feels how
ridiculous it is that the govt isn't doing anything. While she orders
a 16 oz cup latte for $4. Maybe she shouldn't be driving an Expedition.

The way I see it...you give and they will always take.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by protokultur,Jun 18 2008, 03:49 PM
correction
Not sure about that...you get off oil...then electrice will go sky high.

Better to be efficient then to be wasteful.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM

Drilling is not the solution for these reasons:
1. Drilling for new oil will not effect prices for years.
2. We dont have enough oil to offset the global price of oil. Keep in mind that oil is sold globally. We dont even keep the oil that we currnetly drill for in America. it is a global commodity. Oil companies will make the money off the highest bidder.
3. Drilling will "appease" the American public. It is important that we keep the pressure on politicians and oil companies to find a solution to the energy crysis. The technology and know how is out there already.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Jeez, isn't the world is currently producing more oil than we are using. Why the price hikes? Speculators dumping trillions of dollars into commodities futures driving up the price. Congress just passing a bill to drill offshore like the Chinese are ALREADY DOING 90 miles off our SE coastline will drop the price immediately. Most of you guys just dont understand that it is not the fundamentals at play here anymore, perception is the new reality. We either have to regulate the trading going on in commodities (probably a bad idea) or .......
Fire up the drills!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2000spoon,Jun 18 2008, 01:01 PM
Not sure about that...you get off oil...then electrice will go sky high.

Better to be efficient then to be wasteful.
No, develop things like free abundant sources of energy....let's see.....THE SUN.

and oil will just be good for slicking your hair back.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Jun 18 2008, 10:08 AM
The best thing to do is get off of oil and find other sources of energy.
I'm with this guy.

Drilling on our own ground is great for the short term, but it's not sustainable. It would allow us to be lazy and not focus on the future.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by NEODYMIUM,Jun 18 2008, 11:22 AM
Why isn't shale oil produced at $50 per barrel economically feasible in a market that sells oil at $130 per barrel? What is eating this extra cost? Where are you coming up with $500, what does this account for?
questions questions
The $130/barrel we're seeing today is the result of oil produced at a cost of ~$10/barrel PRODUCTION COST.

Strip mining is still necessary for shale oil today AFAIK. I believe you strip mine out the shale oil itself, transport the raw material to a refinery where they (very simplified) heat it and gather vapors which when condensed vaguely resemble crude oil. Much refining is still necessary at this point.

Another interesting thing going on is the north pole. Canada has claimed ownership of it, uncontested, for a very very long time. There were in the past a few occasions where Russia contested it, and the US supported Canada on it. Then suddenly when oil is discovered there, Russia is contesting it again and now the US is contesting that they own it.

I do honestly think that shale oil is the answer, but I don't think it can work with our CURRENT prices and economy. The general cost of oil is going up, and it's going up to stay. Shale oil also has a lot of unique challenges around it. It wasn't that long ago that the oil sands in Northern Alberta were considered unrecoverable (~10 years?) and now they're singlehandedly the largest source of imported oil in the US. I suspect our dependence on foreign oil will continue for a while, but as prices rise and technology improves, shale oil will become a better domestic source of oil, although at a much steeper price.

I'm not a petroleum engineer, just an electrical engineer from an oil town Back home, just about everybody with a three digit IQ knows a fair bit about the oil industry.

Quick Reply: drill for our own oil