Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

drill for our own oil

Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec9,Jun 20 2008, 10:25 AM
What he said. There is NO REASON to open up more land for drilling.

Only 17% of leased off-shore terriroty is being drilled. Some 33 million acres of off-shore terrirory is already premitted for drilling that simply isn't being drilled. These unused lands contain an estimated 25 billion barrels of oil and 328 trillion cubic feet of natural gas (thats an 11 year supply). The Minerals Management Service tells us that about 80% of all estimated off-shore fossil fuels are currently available for development.. and as I just mentioned, most of it is sitting idle.

On all U.S. land (on and off-shore), 68 million acres leased for drilling are sitting idle. If all these lands were drilled, it's estimated we could double daily U.S. oil production, and increase daily natural gas production by 75%.

I support drilling. Drill it all.. but I'm all ears as to why we need to open up more land when so much is already available.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GPMike,Jun 20 2008, 07:16 PM
Its because of retard libs. You know it and I know it...but they don't know it.
hey calm the heck down. first off im a lib and im fine with drilling because in the end i want to be able to drive my s. But its only costing me an extra $50-$100 a month right now which means once or two less days of drinking so w.e. lol

But we need to become less reliant on oil so more alternative energys which would also lower gas prices because we there would be less demand for oil so than we could fill up for alot cheaper

And its not the libs that are against drilling (well they are) but its the environmentalists that are stopping drillin in alaska and rocky mountains; etc.

I say drill wherever you need to if it means more oil. BUT first drill all the lands you already have leases for. AND go towards nuclear energy. We can stop using coal and have our whole electric grid work on nuclear energy and than we would be fine and self sufficient.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546,Jun 22 2008, 09:39 AM
hey calm the heck down. first off im a lib and im fine with drilling because in the end i want to be able to drive my s. But its only costing me an extra $50-$100 a month right now which means once or two less days of drinking so w.e. lol

But we need to become less reliant on oil so more alternative energys which would also lower gas prices because we there would be less demand for oil so than we could fill up for alot cheaper

And its not the libs that are against drilling (well they are) but its the environmentalists that are stopping drillin in alaska and rocky mountains; etc.

I say drill wherever you need to if it means more oil. BUT first drill all the lands you already have leases for. AND go towards nuclear energy. We can stop using coal and have our whole electric grid work on nuclear energy and than we would be fine and self sufficient.
Just becuase it's available for drilling doesn't mean you start poking holes in it. First you need some seismic to indicate that there is at least a decent chance of recoverable reserves at the site. Off-shore exploration, especially deep water, is extremely expensive. If companies had knowledge of economically recoverable reserves in waters currently available, you can be sure that someone would be drilling for it.

Get me a list of all the large electric markets in the U.S. that are currently open to having a nuke built to serve their needs. I'd be interested to see it. There is talk of building another one in N. Texas, but the last one almost bankrupted the company that built it because of all the lawsuits and the resulting delays in construction, etc.

If we are going to build nukes, and I think it's a good idea, then we need to have a standard "pre-approved plan" so that they can be build in a reasonable time for a reasonable amount of money.

It will take some time to change our transportation system from a petroleum based operation to something else.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CG,Jun 22 2008, 08:16 AM
Of course it's only short-term help. We need to press forward with new technologies. There is no way we can replace everything that uses or is made with oil in the next 5 to 10 years. Our cars are just a small part of the picture. IMO we need to be able to get to our oil in case other countries cut us off while we move forward with "better" energy sources.
Thank you.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Don't forget that just because we can get more oil out of the ground in the USA (and Canada), it doesn't mean we can refine it. We're still stuck in the vicious cycle if we can't refine it here and "sell it back to ourselves". A few of you are forgetting that hugely important fact. Our refining capacity is stretched thin as it is (97% ? 98% of max capacity right now?)...
Old 06-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jun 22 2008, 02:36 PM
Don't forget that just because we can get more oil out of the ground in the USA (and Canada), it doesn't mean we can refine it. We're still stuck in the vicious cycle if we can't refine it here and "sell it back to ourselves". A few of you are forgetting that hugely important fact. Our refining capacity is stretched thin as it is (97% ? 98% of max capacity right now?)...
While we do need more capacity I believe the current number is closer to 89%.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pe..._dcu_nus_m.htm

Even less, apparently. More like 83% as of March. So, still some room to grow there, though you've got only another 15% of "reasonable" capacity left.