Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Does the EVO have a strong residual value?

Old 05-05-2003, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the EVO have a strong residual value?

I am slightly thinking about getting an EVO as a more practical car (ha!) for the winter. I was wondering if anyone knew if the car has a high residual value on a lease. I was able to afford my S because the residual was fairly high.

For Scot and all others who have an EVO: Do you thik the EVO is more fun than the S? I know it is faster in a straight line and everything, but when it is all said and done, would you rather spend your sunday afternoon in an S or an EVO?
Old 05-05-2003, 06:31 PM

I doubt it's residual values will be very good. They will always be coming out with a better EVO (like every 2 years), and ask yourself this.

Would you buy a used EVO? If so how much would you pay for one with 5k on it right now? They sticker at what 28k, would you pay 22 for a slightly used one right now?

If you would then most likely other people will too, if you wouldn't....
Well you know the answer there.

All the fanboy's will get their EVO this year or next, then who's buying? They'll fly off the lots new, I just don't know if they will used.

Personally if they were selling EVO's with 10k miles for 20k I doubt I'd get the used one. Extra 150 a month in car payment, for a car you know wasn't abused is worth it, too me that is.

We'll see

P.S. I sold my WRX before the EVO and the STI were announced. I paid 24500 new sold it for 16 used. And that's a good deal looking back.

Subaru brought a better looking and driveing version out and the resale values dropped. The same will happen for these cars.

Just my thought,
-Ed
Old 05-05-2003, 07:00 PM

It is the first year in the USA. Residuals at this point are guesses. Typically, the first year of a specialty car they rate pretty high. What they guess will happen and what actually happens really have nothing to do with each other. If I were you, I would go into the dealership and fight for a high residual value. You have a good chance of getting it.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:04 PM

If they base it on the average mitsubishi then I would have to say no way. There's a reason why that company is practically giving away their cars with 0% financing and not having to pay for a year and all of their other promotions. The best way to find this out is to go buy a dealer and see what they can do and maybe they'll treat this car as differently in a lease as it is from the other mitsubishi cars.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:31 PM

fun is a subjective term....if by fun you mean you'll be in a car that handles better than an s2000, has a sick AWD system so it can be driven just as hard in the rain, pulls harder than an S at any speed, has way better steering feel/response than the S, is way more predictable at the limit(never have to worry bout anticipating that snap oversteer), and a car that inspires more driver confidence and interaction than almost anything i've ever driven....then yes it's more fun....the only thing the S has is the convertible.

*note* I love S2000s and am in no way "dissing" them, but the evo really is that good in these performance categories
Old 05-05-2003, 09:11 PM

All wheel drive by no means makes it safe to drive at 10/10ths in the rain the way you could drive in the dry. Having 4 wheels putting down power makes it easier to accelerate in the wet, but cornering and braking forces are still dependent on absolute traction which is diminished in the wet (the coefficient of friction is less, regardless of the tread design) Driven harder, yes...but driven just as hard as in the dry is a sure-fire way to wrap your new EVO on a tree or light pole or mother and kid. Rain is not a thing to underestimate or mess around with unless the situation is controlled.

Plus, i dont know about you, but I hate turbo lag...having driven a friend's dad's EVO (he owns a mitsubishi dealership), I *really* didn't like coming off a slow corner in first or second with the loud pedal flat and waiting for the tires to light up. for the money, give me a 350Z, RX-8, or S2000, even if they are "slower" in absolute terms. plus the evo looks like a 120 HP economy car with a huge wing and a body kit....yeah, that's class.

Though in the inevitable situation that an EVO revs on me from the next lane over, I'll smile and nod and let him go without putting up a fight.

Quick2K
Old 05-05-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Quick2K

Plus, i dont know about you, but I hate turbo lag...having driven a friend's dad's EVO (he owns a mitsubishi dealership), I *really* didn't like coming off a slow corner in first or second with the loud pedal flat and waiting for the tires to light up. for the money, give me a 350Z, RX-8, or S2000, even if they are "slower" in absolute terms.
Quick2K
That's because you obviously have no idea how to properly drive, and you fell out of boost mid-turn. The EVO is just as hard to drive as the S2000. Fall out of vtec mid-turn and you get something ALOT worse than turbo lag(and not only do you have to wait for the tires to light up, your gonna lite up your rear and snap oversteer, where as in the EVO this does not occur), again if you do let your rpm's fall this low, you simply do not know how to properly drive, but at least the EVO has AWD to handle the boost suddenly coming in. Try falling out of VTEC and then VTEC'ing mid-turn in the S and see how balanced that feels. I had NO lag problems driving the EVO, and I also had NO problems with it in the rain. Again, this also may have to do with knowing how to properly drive a car at its limits. I suggest you go learn how to do that, because it sounds like you simply dont have the skill/knowledge to extract the EVO's full potential. I'm in no way attacking you, I just think by the type of stuff you said in your post(didn't know how to handle the turbo lag, falling out of boost mid-turn, etc) that you really have little experience driving using the proper form and technique for high performance cars.

btw the 350Z, RX8, and S2000 are slower in absolute terms, non-absolute terms, and any other kinds of "terms" you can come up with!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:49 PM

*raises eyebrow*

sheesh, back off...I wasn't trying to take potshots at your driving, now was I? and no I'm not a race driver, and yeah, i probably did fall out of boost; are you planning to drive your EVO around like you were on a track when you're on the street? i should hope not. Lag was a problemfor me , i never said it would be for anyone else...some people might like the characteristics it gives because it's like an on/off switch with a delay to think about whether you really want it or not. *shrug* You're absolutely right about the S2000 being tricky, twitchy, snappy, and unforgiving at the limit. I think CAR magazine said it best in that it's chassis has a "voracious appetite for hedges."(Gotta love the british)

I don't have problems in my S in the rain either, but no one in their right mind is going to tell you "oh, yeah, it's perfectly fine to drive the same in wet and dry weather because dammit, you've got all wheel drive and that makes you invincible and exempt from the laws of physics." Dead is Dead, AWD or not.

I'm not attacking you personally...i had no intent to before, and no intent to now. So next time, watch your mouth because we're all nice people who enjoy cars. I don't care what car is faster than another, I like certain ones more than i like others. Dont get me wrong, I had an absolute blast driving around La Jolla at 7/10s in the evo (a blue one...i dont like the color). And regarding my driving, while no Mario Andretti I can hold my own on the AutoX course...I simply save my race driving for where it belongs, and personally a car's road manners matter more than its track demeanor because I can't afford to have a dedicated race car.

I voiced my opinion, and you could learn to counter without resorting to personal attacks. Take a chill pill...I didn't perceive any of what I wrote to be offensive, I was just disagreeing about the all-conquering-ness of the EVO. To each his own...lets not allow this board to degrade into a personal vendetta forum like most other enthusiast clubs; I thought we were more mature than that.

Quick2K

P.S. I'd rather drive a Miata than an EVO because at least the Miata wont get mistaken for a standard Lancer with a body kit. A fast Lancer is still a Lancer....an STi is a fast WRX, which is a fast Impreza. exclusivity...sure, but I would prefer something that wont be mistaken for a lesser model. even if it means i'll get dusted at the stoplight drags or the Autocross or whatever.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:01 PM

damn sorry man, i didn't mean to come off like an ass. Therein lies everything. The EVO was in no way intended for this everyday drivability you speak of. The car demands constant attention and constant driving. The thing doesn't even come with cruise control for that reason. I would definitely drive it using the same techniques I would use at the track. Not necessarily at the same speeds, but I would certainly do things likerev match, heel-toe, and hold boost through corners all the time(just like I do in the S) with maybe an occassional drift when the road is extra empty. Performance is what its all about for me, and the evo compromises virtually everything for performance and durability. That is why, you can see, that the evo is practically my dream car. I'm the guy rev matching and apexing whenever I get the chance, that's what gets my rocks off right now. To you its road manners, and i'm sure you greatly take into consideration the "chill factor" of a car aas well. The S2000 is obviously sleek, 2dr, roadster that is often confused for something like a porsche. The s2000 def wins in chill factor!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:47 AM

Trust me man, slow down in the rain and snow. Don't forget about black ice either.
Tires have their limits, no drivetrain can overcome that.
Do not drive aggressively in bad weather, it will eventually bite you.

Not knocking your driving skills, AWD is kinda like an s2k at the limit. Feels great until it all goes wrong.
Sure awd you can push it even harder over the limit. WAY over the limit.

Be humble behind the wheel of that thing, AWD can make you feel like a super man.
It's quite tempting to keep pushing your limits.

Be careful,
-Ed

Quick Reply: Does the EVO have a strong residual value?