Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dodge Viper RST10 ACR Nurburgring in record 7:22.1

Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Sep 1 2008, 12:03 AM
Then shell out $140K for it. Yeah, the 911TT is nice, but I'd take an F430 any day of the week. Yeah, the F430 is nice but I'd take a Carrera GT any day of the week.

Not saying it's Chrysler's fault or Nissan's fault, just saying that the ACR, which is as track-ready as can be, shouldn't be just compared to the GT-R or 911TT. If there were a more track-dedicated version of the GT-R, then it's a fairer comparison. Who compared? Spec did.

As for getting faster time, maybe, maybe not. The driver said he pretty much extracted as much as he could, and that he could probably go a tiny bit faster, but not much. So based on his comment, the answer to your question is "yes".
Someone really loves the GTR I know how much a tt Porshe costs and i also know a GTR isnt even in the same league. Show me one guy driving one on the street that has not paid over sticker. This is the same thing that was going on in 1991 when the NSX was brought here.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=AlX Boi,Sep 1 2008, 12:43 AM]Why is it that when this guy hits the rev limiter, the engine just bounces it but still keeps the power going?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that looks like a BLAST!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an amazing car, I can't wait to get my hands on a Viper
Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Aug 30 2008, 03:59 PM
This is a 600-hp track car running with R compound tires and driven by a pro-racer, accompanied by a team of engineers to tweak and adjust after every lap. A few seconds under the ZR1 and base GT-R is not that impressive. On the other hand, the ZR1's 2-second advantage over the base GT-R is not that impressive either, considering it has almost 640hp and much lower weight.
I am growing sooooooooooo very tired of the Cheerleading for the GT-R. Its a great car but takes the driver out of the equation.............how fun is that?

The Viper ACR IMO is an amazing car, what a real sports car should be, less electronic bullshit, just pure balls..............
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 AM

So word from the driver and Dodge is after reviewing the first few laps they told him to shift to 5th. He argued and said it was faster to stay in 4th. He continued to drive that way and broke the record. Hard to say who was right, but he seems fast enough!

I can see it both ways. The only place I really think he needed to shift was on the long straight. But, with the Viper's gearing it might not of helped much at all. A few times you will see him him the limiter then back off and keep right near the limit. This way the car isn't bucking around as he enters a corner.

For the comments about only 4 gears in a super car. In all honesty the Viper only needs 4 gears. There is a lot of speculation about whether or not the driver ever needed to go into second even. The car has torque most of us have never experienced. I've only driven a 450HP version and it was incredible.

All the speculation says to me if they had more time they could of gone faster. Maybe they or someone else will later. I don't care who you are 4 laps is not a lot and is in no way your fastest in a new car. The car is capable of more. All the tests in the US say it's in a totally different league then the other cars mentioned in this thread.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Sep 1 2008, 06:20 AM
Its a great car but takes the driver out of the equation.............how fun is that?
People claim things like this about the evo too. It's just not true. I can't say what it's like to drive a GTR, but many reviews have said it's simple to drive up until the limit of adhesion and then it really lets go. This is consistent with stiff chassis and very sticky tire'd cars. This is what they do. The evo drives much the same way with R-compounds on. It feels like it drives itself until you approach it's limits and then it gets hairy. I would assume the GTR drives the same way. It will be easy for mortals to get decent lap times, but the fastest times will only come in the hands of great drivers.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...post&p=14219450
Quote from the Leguna Ariticle:
Given his enthusiasm, and the GT-R's impressive track numbers, why didn't Pobst rank the GT-R higher than fifth? "While it predominately understeers slightly, it can easily be provoked into snap oversteer. That was fun, but the GT-R is violent when it breaks loose; the R8, in contrast, drifts sweetly. The "R" mode really isn't a race mode-there's still a lot of stability control working, which is fine for the average guy but frustrating for me as a race driver. And before you turn stability control completely off, boy, you'd better have a lot of car-control clinics under your belt. The R8 is much more refined, a muscular dancer. The GT-R is a wrestler."
Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacknot,Sep 1 2008, 04:48 AM
Someone really loves the GTR I know how much a tt Porshe costs and i also know a GTR isnt even in the same league. Show me one guy driving one on the street that has not paid over sticker. This is the same thing that was going on in 1991 when the NSX was brought here.
People have been getting them 5k over sticker. 75K is a bargain. If money was no concern, obviously most people (including me) would take the Turbo, but this is reality and a 60K price difference is steep.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacknot,Sep 1 2008, 04:48 AM
This guy: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=625436

What league is that? Yes, they're not in the same performance league because the GT-R beats the 911TT on all tracks they've ever been tested on. Let's face it, the 911TT is outmatched by both the GT-R and Z06.

Anyway, back on topic...
Old 09-02-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GTR is the best car ever.

we should convert every car forum into www.gtrftw.com

/thread.

/sarcasm.

the viper sounded mean as **** i freaking love it!!!!

and i had an Evo and while it does get a bit hairy approaching the limit this translates to a somewhat boring drive when on the streets...for instance i enjoy driving the s2000 on the streets much more, i.e. when i'm not pushing a car to its limits. i sold my Evo and got the gc impreza mainly just to have a more "natural feeling" car as well...every car has shortcomings and to me a "perfect car" on paper doesn't translate to the perfect car when you're driving it.

so say if the GTR is an Evo amplified in every performance category, and a viper acr is a much angrier version of the s2000 then i'd prefer the viper's driving dynamics.

but hey, different strokes for different folks, and i'm not trying to convert everybody with my personal preferences. respect for other peoples' likes and dislikes goes a long way.

but what do i know, GTR is the best. the vspec will run laps around the earth to reverse time so we can all go back to the beginning of automobile making and make everybody drive GTRs by making only GTRs.

(sorry)

Quick Reply: Dodge Viper RST10 ACR Nurburgring in record 7:22.1