Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dodge Magnum Hemi Test Drive

Old 01-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaundesjardins,Jan 3 2005, 08:05 AM
In many way those cars are not excessive. They only have 2 seats, hardly a trunk to speak of, the S2000 is a small car etc.

I'm not against excess in moderation but I don't see the need for huge, over the top in every way vehicles as daily drivers (H2, Escalade, Suburbans even Magnums)

Super cars are not used as daily drivers, they are toys for the weekend so in my mind can't necessarily be compared to the likes of SUVs.

I love the S2000 (that's why I come to this site) and I dont feel superior in any way to anyone. I don't see how someone could have thought that but.....
I'm also not this enviro-freak, I'm just a person that likes to live fairly modest yet I'm very happy with what I have.
When I hear about people buying something like an RSX as a "beater" car itjust makes me shrug my shoulders. A lot of showoffs on here I guess.
Why do you respect the S2K when it gets horrible gas mileage? I am kind of confused why you post on this board, you are using this "everyone else is showing off" to cover up your inadequacy with driving a tiny econo-box-death-machine made of plastic that you will almost surely die in during a high speed accident.

The Magnum actually gets around 30mpg on the freeway due to it's shutting down half of the cylinder, I bet you didn't know that huh? Better gas mileage than probably 75% of the cars on the road, if not considerably higher I am guessing. 30mpg is not a whole lot lower than your Echo even.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 AM

According to dodge's own website it get's 25mpg which is about half of what my echo does. But besides that, the s2000 is designed as a weekend car, a car most would drive less than 10,000 miles a year. Not a daily commuter.
Why do you say the S2000 has "horrible" gas mileage when it gets better gas mileage than the Magnum which you say gets better gas mileage than "75% of cars" I did know about the cylinder shut off on the Magnum, not news to me. It's a great idea, no doubt about it. Oh and trust me, I have no problem driving a echo hatchback, no inadequacy here. I guess that's the problem. Some people buy certain cars to make them feel a certain way about themselves. I don't see cars that way. A car to me can be practical or it can be fun or even both but it won't make me feel like anyone else. I was originally going to buy an s2000 (which is why I come to this forum) but decided to wait so that I could pay off all my school loan and buy a house. (much more important things in my book)
Anyhow, I'm not on here to make ennemies and I feel some of you are somehow insulted by what I type. I'm just speaking my mind, like a few of you have already posted in this thread, you have chocolate and you have vanilla. To each his own I guess. I just don't think I understand why some people do certain things.

BTW my "death machine" did quite well in crash tests"
http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/toyota/echo/safety/
Old 01-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by shaundesjardins,Jan 3 2005, 05:14 AM
Yes.
Unfortunately some people feel the need to show everyone how "successful" they are by also showing us how stupid they are.

I'm genuinely happy with most things I buy because it's genuinely what I need and not what's cool or what will impress people I don't even know.
Some people above me already stated this but let's really drive this point home:

It looks like you are an owner of an S2000. An S2000 is not genuinely a car that someone needs. So I guess the point you are trying to make is that a car has to be practical and used for something. Well then you go on to say two seat roadsters, like the one you own yourself,

".....they are toys for the weekend so in my mind can't necessarily be compared to the likes of SUVs."

Why would'nt you put them in the same catogory titled "unneccessary"?? Why are you giving a weekend car an ok but not SUVs? I think SUVs are 1000% more practical then a two seater roadster. I know it may sound crazy but some people actually tow stuff, move stuff, etc.

Isn't somebody quite the hyprocrite?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by hellothere,Jan 4 2005, 09:07 AM
Some people above me already stated this but let's really drive this point home:

It looks like you are an owner of an S2000. An S2000 is not genuinely a car that someone needs. So I guess the point you are trying to make is that a car has to be practical and used for something. Well then you go on to say two seat roadsters, like the one you own yourself,

".....they are toys for the weekend so in my mind can't necessarily be compared to the likes of SUVs."

Why would'nt you put them in the same catogory titled "unneccessary"?? Why are you giving a weekend car an ok but not SUVs? I think SUVs are 1000% more practical then a two seater roadster. I know it may sound crazy but some people actually tow stuff, move stuff, etc.

Isn't somebody quite the hyprocrite?
I don't own an S2000.

A car like the S2000 is not essential. That's the point and no one will argue that.
What I'm talking about is these people that claim they "need" an 8 seater SUV to tow him and sometimes even his wife around (although only on weekends because they each have their own H2)
That's what I'm talking about, that kind of attitude.
I've seen it a lot while living in the US, hell I even see it here in Canada on occasion.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:25 AM

i dont think you will find too many people out there with a huge SUV and then a pair of Hummers at home. Your trying to be logical in your explanation and explain why people don't need extravegant things like impractical vehicles, but then you yourself in your explanation state these grossly over-exagerated illustrations (a huge SUV and a pair of Hummers at home) to try and further your point. sorry it doesnt work

also, if you are not an owner, then why do you identify yourself as an owner? i bet i know. in your very own words too: "to be cool to other people that you have an S2000"?

p.s. don't take what i write personally, i'm just an arguing bastrd
Old 01-04-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by hellothere,Jan 4 2005, 10:25 AM
i dont think you will find too many people out there with a huge SUV and then a pair of Hummers at home. Your trying to be logical in your explanation and explain why people don't need extravegant things like impractical vehicles, but then you yourself in your explanation state these grossly over-exagerated illustrations (a huge SUV and a pair of Hummers at home) to try and further your point. sorry it doesnt work

also, if you are not an owner, then why do you identify yourself as an owner? i bet i know. in your very own words too: "to be cool to other people that you have an S2000"?

p.s. don't take what i write personally, i'm just an arguing bastrd
wow, that's weird. I never noticed it says owner for me. I have no idea how that got there. Better go take a look at my profile.
weird.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:49 AM

yea thats weird cause usually you have to type in your VIN # to get owner status...must have been a glitch
Old 01-04-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I have the same thing and I don't have an S2000 either. It even picked my color for me.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:02 PM

yeah mine was set to a 2000 silverstone too.
must be a glitch for sure.
I have never implied I own an s2000 because I don't.