Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dodge Caliber

Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caliber

Well, the Odyssey was in the shop for about a week after a hit-and-run that we got stuck with. While it was in the shop we were given a Dodge Caliber.

Pros:
I really liked the look of it. Sharp lines, good proportions, nice face

then i drove it....

Cons:
No Power...it got LOUD and didn't want to move
Interior plastic's lines didn't match up
Interior plastic was very hard....felt brittle
Absolute feeling of being disconnected from the road when steering
Suspension felt very soft (could be a good thing) but it made cornering at any speed feel like I was just along for the ride.

Overall, I was disappointed. I've owned 5 Hondas, 1 Mazda, 1 Toyota, 2 Oldsmobiles and a Buick. ...when compared to any of them, this nearly new car just truly was upsetting. I really wanted this cool little car to be fun also.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 PM

From what it sounds like, not any different from the typical criticisms of Dodge in the past decade or two.

Sad news for a new car. Stuck with the same formula that turned people away.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:05 PM

Yeah, it really is sad. I don't understand how people can test drive that and be impressed enough to buy it. Can get SO much more for the same $
Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Sounds nearly identical to my recent G6 Rental experience.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I have had them as rentals in Hawaii and I agree with everything you said. I thought it was a piece of crap. Another thing I would add is that it has a very high beltline and has some visability issues, especially if you are short. You get a giant plastic dash in your face.

I have had neons for rentals before and liked them. I thought this was a step back. The only thing it had in its favor was space.

I recently had a chrysler minivan as a rental while the subie was in the shop. It drove just fine, but the interior is horrible and ergonomically awkward. Then a couple days later when I had to have my car re-fixed for the same problem they gave me a Forrester loaner. Hideously ugly exterior, goofy empty space interior, but I have to admit, it rode and drove very nice for what I was expecting. As a loaner or rental, I would take one anytime.

For you standard rental fleet type cars, I have always like most of the economy cars (cobalts and neons), and I really like Malibus because they have space and drive just fine.

I spents some extra to get a firebird convert in Hawaii on one trip that was seriously the worst car I have ever driven, and pontiac Grand Prix's and Bonnevilles I had as free rental "upgrades" were so awful I could not wait to return them.

Since I have to go visit the wifes family once or twice a year in Hawaii I rent cars there a lot. I WANT the cheap econobox. Gas is pricey, the lanes are narrow, and parking spaces are small. Gimme the cheap tiny car please!!!! But next time they try to hand me the keys to a Caliber I will see if they have something else. I feel the same way about the Chevy PT CRuiser copy whatchamacall it (HHR?). But actually PT cruisers themselves are decent for a rental.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 AM

I couldnt agree with the OP more!
We rented a Caliber in Hawaii on our Honey moon WE liked it because it was roomy WE drove all the around Oahu in one day and it was nice no just sit in felt pretty comfy compared to beingcrammed on a bus with lots of strangers. But as far as performance what a pooper at the end of the day Monica said she wished she'd let me rent the Charger like I wanted (She talked me into the Caliber because it was more fuel efficient and would be easier to get the boogie boards in and out of, which was really nice ohhh Hawaii .... sorry reminessing there
back to topic when going up hill with the pedal mashed ot the floor at one point I thought the engine was going to give out on me, the hill wasnt that steep and wer could only go 20 or 30 mph the speed limit was 55 people were passing us, it was embarrising
My father once said Daimler does not know how to make a Auo tranny. I will never question that statement again..