Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dodge is better?

Old 11-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different strokes for different folks. The neon is pretty impressive for the money. THat doesn't mean I'd trade or even consider it on top of my s2000. It's all based on your desires. There are going to be alot of cars as fast as or faster than the s2000 coming out it's called progress. It's like how the s2000 came out and totally surprised the germans by putting the spank on their roadsters. They went back and upped the engines and HP on their cars. Well now the s2000 is a benchmark to be surpassed. Maybe on the s2 change the engine will be different to reflect the changing market.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you go buy a neon then, I will take my lowly under-engineered, overpriced s2k. I mean come on guys, there is nothing more important to me than torque when it comes to purchasing a vehicle

BTW, you can beat the torque of the new super-duper neon by purchasing a wimpy ford focus and slapping a turbo on it! Any turd can be force-fed resulting in huge gains in torque & hp, but unfortunately, it will still be a turd. Not that the Neon is a oblong portion of fecal matter, but you get the point.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:21 AM

Trade your S... bla bla bla, I bought the S becasue that's what I wanted. There's nothing wrong with a little envy though. It's just like ordering food from a resturant. You order what you want, but when you see someone else's plate, you kind of wonder what there's taste like too. I drive American rental cars all the time and enjoy the torque of these cars, but I still perfer my S to a Mustang, Neon, or Camaro. However, just becasue I enjoy my car doesn't make me overlook the fact that I still believe that the car should have more torque. I've read reviews from people that do nothing all day but test cars and they claimed the same thing. I hope that all the fuss pushes Honda to improve the torque in the next S. There is nothing wrong with improvement fellas. I don't believe that the answer to my remarks is to go out and purchase a Neon. Then I would be complaing about the car breaking down on the Neon boards and the folks on there would tell me to buy a Honda. Which brings me to my next comment. Is there something wrong with forced induction? Why does it really matter what the company has done to the engine as long as the numbers look good. I know that the S is NA, and the Neon is Turboed, but regardless, the car is a performer with loads of torque. If this is what it takes to get torque out of a 4 banger, then why not do it? Can you guys imagine the next S with 280 hp and 250 lbs/ft of torque? OMG!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:39 AM

The greater the torque that is applied to the front wheels, the greater the torque-steer pulling on the steering wheel in the twisties.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:53 AM

I guess that's why Nissian's are always criticized for their torque-steer. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
Old 11-21-2002, 04:01 AM

.............Random Ramblings........

and this is all so relevant.... the s2000 vs Neon concept...
last night while i was out drag racing my s2000 i beat a ....
last night while i was out drag racing my s2000????
what ... do i have a bullet in my head???
drag race my s2000....why would i do that???

i guess i could jack the back all up and put some M&H Racemaster slicks on it...that would be pretty cool...
since obviously anyone could tell that the s2000 is designed as a drag racer....ooooo...and skinny tires on the front too....the only problem is that M&H slicks puncture easily...so I would have to be careful of the turbo Ne-on parts littering the streets...but thanks to the s2000 handling i can drive around most all of those...
except maybe the crank parts...

....who .....
in this thread ...
Neon lovers included...
would feel at ease in a Neon at 160+mph???

I used to own a Shelby GLHS charger...in 86...intercooler...the whole 9 yards...while you Neon boys were still playing with your Transformers .....it had 200+HP and gobs of tourque... and one wheel that was always losing traction.....

I need coffee
Old 11-21-2002, 08:41 AM

Wah, Wah, Wah! The Neon SRT's performance at the 19k pricepoint is pretty impressive. If it hooks up it will be quicker than our car and easier to be quicker in. Deal with it; the 350z and Neon SRT are only the beginning.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:54 AM

nastinupe1 = troll.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Read the articles more closely on the SRT-4 and you'll catch some interesting facts. I'm pulling these from memory of things that stood out in my mind.....

1)The test vehicle is a pre-production prototype, not a production model.

2)The prototype makes a bit more power than what is stated for the production model.

3)Engineers admit the engine management software is not finalized, and plan make it more conservative for increased reliability and longevity in the production models.

4)The prototype does not have any mufflers (only a resonator). Engineers believe they will be able to keep it this way on the production model, but the authors were skeptical.

5)The car is only capable of .85 on the skidpad. Camber is not adjustable on the Neon chassis.

6)The testers were not impressed by the chassis dynamics, as the car is not very comfortable or predictable at its handling limits.

Bottom line:
It seems like it would be very easy for Dodge to parade a souped up engine for the magazines to do some early testing on. Builds lots of interest, catches people's eyes. You may want to wait until someone does a road test on a real production model before believing everything that's being said.

My 2
Old 11-21-2002, 09:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nobody
[B]I could give a crap less about technology bragging rights.

Quick Reply: Dodge is better?