Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Do you think a car can be TOO fast?

Old 05-28-2003 | 06:59 AM

A car is never too fast. For me.

Too fast for the 90-year-old Grandma that can't tell her grandson from an oak tree? Yes.

Too fast for one who knows how to drive a car 10/10ths, to its full potential, and still keep it shiny side up? No.

For most of us, I think a car will never be too fast; it's just faster than we can exploit on public roads.

EDIT: This reminds me of a little story. My neighbor, a freshman in high school, is always begging me to take him for a ride whenever I have one of my cars over (they all sleep at my dad's, and I live with my mom). And sometimes, he'll ask if I can take some of his friends for a ride. Usually, I'm in a good mood and take them out - no big deal.

This one time, in the E55, however, I had 4 of his friends as passengers (3 boys, 1 girl), and did a few acceleration runs down FM-2920 (posted speed limit 55mph). I would basically just accelerate hard to 60mph, cruise, hammer it to 120mph, slow down, etc. And for "Round 5," as they called it, I accelerated full-throttle from 0-120mph then clamped on the binders ABS-pending. I guess the g's were just too severe for little miss prissy to handle; I had to pull over so she could throw up her lunch.

My point is that not everyone can take it. So yes, to some people, cars CAN be too fast.
Old 05-28-2003 | 03:56 PM

i don't know. There was an article in evo about the TVR chairman who said their modified TVR was way to fast for street use. something like 900 HP in a 2500lb car.
Old 05-29-2003 | 06:13 AM

Depends on how the power is delivered. A "peaky" 900 hp would be absolutley ideal for street use. A torquey 900 hp (like a turbo viper) would be very undrivable. Say you make 900 hp at 9000 rpms. Geared reasonably, you could have a mild mannered daily driver that is only putting down around 200 hp to the wheels in its cruising gear. Step on the throttle at that point and you'll get s2000 like acceleration at best. But at the same time, you'll be able to access warp speed with proper downshifts.
Old 05-29-2003 | 06:13 AM

Originally posted by alexf20c
A car is never too fast. For me.

Too fast for the 90-year-old Grandma that can't tell her grandson from an oak tree? Yes.

Too fast for one who knows how to drive a car 10/10ths, to its full potential, and still keep it shiny side up? No.

For most of us, I think a car will never be too fast; it's just faster than we can exploit on public roads.

EDIT: This reminds me of a little story. My neighbor, a freshman in high school, is always begging me to take him for a ride whenever I have one of my cars over (they all sleep at my dad's, and I live with my mom). And sometimes, he'll ask if I can take some of his friends for a ride. Usually, I'm in a good mood and take them out - no big deal.

This one time, in the E55, however, I had 4 of his friends as passengers (3 boys, 1 girl), and did a few acceleration runs down FM-2920 (posted speed limit 55mph). I would basically just accelerate hard to 60mph, cruise, hammer it to 120mph, slow down, etc. And for "Round 5," as they called it, I accelerated full-throttle from 0-120mph then clamped on the binders ABS-pending. I guess the g's were just too severe for little miss prissy to handle; I had to pull over so she could throw up her lunch.

My point is that not everyone can take it. So yes, to some people, cars CAN be too fast.
So spinning the tires (345s) in fourth gear at 140 doesn't seem a little uncontrollable to you. You can handle 1100 RWHP in a 3400 lb car?
Old 05-29-2003 | 06:43 AM

If I did have a car that powerful, yes, I think I would be able to control it. Just feather the throttle.

I've never had to feather the throttle at 140mph, but there's a first for everything.
Old 05-29-2003 | 07:05 AM
Banned

Stepping up from an s10 to an s2000 was a huge change and I found my self nervous behind the wheel at times. I've gotten used to the speed and would love a faster car. I would say a 4 sec. 0-60 would be my limit for the streets. On the track I'd say 10 or 11 seconds in the quarter. Those pro drag racers that pull 300 mph trap speeds are insane!
Old 05-29-2003 | 07:50 AM
20 Year Member

Alex,
Do you do any autocrossing, dragracing, or roadracing? If not, you're probably not as good of a driver as you think. Do you run at the TAMSCC autocrosses? If not, that's a good start. I thought I was a good driver until I started autocrossing. You realize how sucky you are at the limit with a vehicle. Doing a 60-120mph run in an E55 is nothing. Having a deer jump out at your car while doing 120mph is a whole different story.

On the topic of too fast, I think you become desensitized(sp?) to speed over time. When I had my Del Sol Si I thought it was fast. Then I stepped up the Prelude VTEC and it felt like a screamer and it was by comparison. Then I got the Vette and it felt like a freaking rocketship in comparison. Then I started modding the Vette...so on and so on... The Vette still seems quick, but I'm used to it and have raced the heck out of it at every racing venue there is, so I'm very comfortable with it and feel very confident about stepping up to something quicker. Unfortunately, there's not many stock automobiles running faster than 12.2's on street tires.

It's all relative....
Old 05-29-2003 | 08:50 AM

QUIKAG,
Yes, I've been kartin competitively since I was 5, and in the past 5 years, I've auto-x'd and tracked my cars quite regularly at TWS. Also made a few quick passes at HRP.

Not to mention the little 'obstacle courses' my dad and I set up at empty parking lots.

So ya, I'd like to think I know how to drive.

WHOOP!
Old 05-29-2003 | 10:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by suvh8r
[B]But when will it stop?
Old 05-29-2003 | 12:12 PM

[QUOTE]

Off the street, no.

Quick Reply: Do you think a car can be TOO fast?