Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?
Yes, auto racing is a sport and the drivers are athletes
78.38%
Yes, auto racing is a sport, but the drivers are NOT athletes.
16.76%
No, auto racing is not a sport, but the drivers ARE athletes.
1.62%
No, auto racing is not a sport and the drivers are not athletes.
3.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

They've monitored F1 drivers and found them to have a SUSTAINED heart rate of 180+ bpm for the ENTIRE RACE! They lose 8-10 lbs of body fluid in a single race.

Only an athlete can sustain those levels for such an extended period of time.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon is 100% correct.

And, I also believe, the original question is a bit too vaugue, and here is what I mean.
I think the type of racing needs to be considered when factoring in a driver being an athlete. Are F1 drivers athletes? You bet! Are some of those old overweight NASCAR drivers athletes? No.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Luckyaze,Dec 2 2008, 06:39 PM
Have you ever track your car for a full day? Now try doing that competitively at the highest level in the world. That require so much skill, stamina, endurance etc.

BTW, if you never been to the track and drive your car then forget what I just said.
I have not tracked a car for a full day but I have tracked a cart for a full day many many times, and there is no power steering in those

My point might have been missed and even if it wasn't missed I still stand by it.

Like Triple-H said, it all depends on the platform we are talking about. Like I said in my previous post, I would consider F1 and LeMans racers to be athletes on most levels. Other types of racing like NASCAR and Drag Racing I do not consider athletes just because of that profession. Are some of the NASCAR drivers athletes, sure! Are all of them, nope, not IMO. Same goes for Drag Racing.

Just because I can play Wii Tennis all day does not make me an athlete does it? I play at a very high level and have never been beat to this day and I seriously have lost 5 lbs in 4 hours of playing Wii Tennis once
Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are completely ignorant if you think race car drivers aren't usually tremendous athletes. F1 drivers are some the fittest people on the earth.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by MrBean1,Dec 2 2008, 08:31 PM
I would say it is a sport but I don't think the drivers are Athletes. It's kind of like Golf...
I'd bet every cent you have that you haven't taken part in ANY competitive racing in cars OR motorcycles. Athletes are individuals that have finely tuned physical abilities, it doesn't mean you have to run a 6 minute mile in order to be an athlete. Almost every sport has a huge portion of their players that wouldn't fit this catagory except basketball.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

[QUOTE=Chris S,Dec 2 2008, 08:29 PM] I'm aware of that test (by the National Sport Institute in Englewood, CA), and it was soccer that was found to be most strenuous, followed by motocross.

I've raced motocross and done plenty of DE's (basically racing w/o the prizes and timing), and there is absolutely no comparison. Motocross is the toughest physical activity I've ever done, over motorcycle road racing, mountain bike racing, road cycling, anything on 4 wheels, 1/2 marathon, etc. Big difference between manning the controls of a car vs. having to physically manhandle a 220+ lb. bike that's trying to buck you off over really rough terrain.

From http://blazeof-glory2.blogspot.com/2008/08...-demanding.html

"Most of those that are around the industry and who closely follow the sport of motocross will tell you that motocross athletes are some of the fittest athletes in the world. Someone who would know is Dr. Jeff Spencer, who has trained athletes like Lance Armstrong and Chad Reed. When asked to compare the fitness level of Lance Armstrong to a top motocross racer, Dr. Spencer said,
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM

That's Ruben Xaus on the left, me on the right just after I beat him in one of the muddiest races I ever did. It was at the World Offroad Championship Series (WORCS) race @ Cycle Ranch (just south of San Antonio) in 2/05.

He was a super cool, very friendly guy, & my friend and I had a great time hanging around and chatting w/ him. Said he bought land in Helotes after Colin Edwards got him interested in TX.

I went to the Moto GP race @ Sepang later that year, and I couldn't even get anywhere near him to say hi!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:54 AM

Old 12-05-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Dec 4 2008, 01:42 PM

That's Ruben Xaus on the left, me on the right just after I beat him in one of the muddiest races I ever did. It was at the World Offroad Championship Series (WORCS) race @ Cycle Ranch (just south of San Antonio) in 2/05.

He was a super cool, very friendly guy, & my friend and I had a great time hanging around and chatting w/ him. Said he bought land in Helotes after Colin Edwards got him interested in TX.

I went to the Moto GP race @ Sepang later that year, and I couldn't even get anywhere near him to say hi!
Ruben needs to quit crashing Sounds like a cool damn day. I've met him before as well but never hung out with him.

Colin just tested the 'Stones and he really likes the front so hopefully next year will be his best, and it better be because it might be his last. Jump on Colin's site some time and say whats up!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Put a NASCRAP driver in a F1, LeMans, MotoGP and they won't last one lap.

SOME motorsport drivers are athlete, not all. I hardly consider drag racing drivers athletes. I mean how fit do you have to be to endure a few seconds of acceleration?

Quick Reply: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?