Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?
Yes, auto racing is a sport and the drivers are athletes
78.38%
Yes, auto racing is a sport, but the drivers are NOT athletes.
16.76%
No, auto racing is not a sport, but the drivers ARE athletes.
1.62%
No, auto racing is not a sport and the drivers are not athletes.
3.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody can convince me that John Force is an "athlete."

There are some drivers who are athletic, but I hardly consider drivers to be athletes when compared with real specimens.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmies,Dec 1 2008, 02:08 PM
Nobody can convince me that John Force is an "athlete."

There are some drivers who are athletic, but I hardly consider drivers to be athletes when compared with real specimens.
Do you think that John Force is a person trained or gifted in contests involving physical agility and stamina?

OR

Do you think that he's a participant in a sport?

Yes, he's an athlete.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Uhm, DUH.

Motorsports are sports and the drivers/riders are athletes for shizzle.

Sheesh if we have Olympic curling, motorsports better be considered a sport!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Dec 1 2008, 01:40 PM
I answered double no.

I think driver are higly skilled and it is a competitve event that requires some endurance but I don't find them to be athletes.

Would horse jockey's be athletes? Or would it be the horses.

I say it is not a sport because the work is being done by a machine, and the endurance is sitting in a car concentrating and enduring heat and mental exhaustion. It aint running up and down a court and using physical skill to dunk on Shaq.

I know people will disagree, but thats how I view it. I have great respect for their skill, but poker players have skill and endurance, but it aint a sport and they are not athletes either.

I see most people view it differently than me but this board is full of auto racing fans. Put the same question on a basketball board and you would probably have different results.
I take it you've never been go-karting or hanging off the side of a motorcycle. I won't even get into the physical demands things like LeMans or F1 racing put onto someone.

I guarantee that if you do an an endurance karting event that you'll change your tune about how physical motorsports are.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 PM

i do go karts and requires a lot of training like running all the days 30 minutes to 1 hour and also i go to the gym to make some muscles... race cars drivers also need a good phisical preparation especially those who run open wheel because is more difficult with more G s Forces ...
Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Dec 1 2008, 02:28 PM
Do you think that John Force is a person trained or gifted in contests involving physical agility and stamina?

OR

Do you think that he's a participant in a sport?

Yes, he's an athlete.
Athlete:

Not Athlete (got more chins than Chinatown:
Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=xpander4,Feb 28 2003, 03:12 AM] great shape?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vader1,Dec 1 2008, 04:40 PM
I know people will disagree, but thats how I view it. I
And your view is wrong. Fact is, F1 drivers, and many other drivers in other series are serious olympic quality fit athletes. Go do your research before you arrive at "a view."
Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by GPMike,Dec 1 2008, 05:35 PM
And your view is wrong. Fact is, F1 drivers, and many other drivers in other series are serious olympic quality fit athletes. Go do your research before you arrive at "a view."
Your point here is off base. You are saying that these F1 drivers are athletes because of what they do when they are NOT driving. The question asked was "Do you think race car drivers are athletes?". Meaning does it make someone an athlete just because they race?

My answer to that is NO, race car drivers are not considered by me to be athletes just because they race cars/bikes. Are most of the good racers in great shape and athletes, probably

I consider an athlete to be someone that uses their body as the major tool to compete. Racers have to endure a lot and also have to have great endurance but the machine is doing most of the work. For the record I raced carts when I was younger so I do understand how much strength it takes to be good.

Yes, some athletes use tools in other sports like baseball, pole vault, etc but their bodies do a large majority of the work.

That all being said if you asked me if professional race car drivers are usually in as good if not better shape then athletes, my answer would be a very strong YES! Greg Biffle is a friend of my fathers and although he is small, he is in great physical shape and very strong He is fast on his feet too
Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM

if you answered "no" to this poll... youve never raced a car on a track or autox.

Quick Reply: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?