Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?
Yes, auto racing is a sport and the drivers are athletes
78.38%
Yes, auto racing is a sport, but the drivers are NOT athletes.
16.76%
No, auto racing is not a sport, but the drivers ARE athletes.
1.62%
No, auto racing is not a sport and the drivers are not athletes.
3.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?

Old 03-02-2003, 03:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't bother arguing with your co-worker. You need to actually go racing to really know what's involved in racing. Something your co-worker obviously doesn't do.

I used to think driving a sports car in a race event was no big deal too, but after three or four auto-cross events, I know better.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In top series such as Formual 1, the succesful drivers are Olympic Athlete fit. Resting pulses in the 30s, low single digit fat percentages, hours a day work outs. Early to bed, low drinking, good diets are standard fare.

You have to concentrate incredibly hard to do well in racing, and for long periods of time. You have to do it to know how hard it is. I'm talking about road course / autocross stuff here.

Stan
Old 03-03-2003, 03:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, unless you have some notion that the words mean something different than the dictionary definition.

sport (sp
Old 03-03-2003, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto racing is a sport, and the drivers are athletes, let there be no question about it.

And those silly games that involve balls, that is all they are; games.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:20 PM

bump
Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kwhitepanama,Dec 1 2008, 03:20 PM
bump
Really? 5 years

motorsports is the only sport, everything else is just a game
Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Optikal,Feb 28 2003, 03:44 PM
Or get they guy out for 15 minutes on a go kart track.... and see how those forearms feel.
Simply put, racers are athletes.
My last time to Indy, I went to an indoor karting track and after one 15minute session, I was whooped! That's truly an endurance sport!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I answered double no.

I think driver are higly skilled and it is a competitve event that requires some endurance but I don't find them to be athletes.

Would horse jockey's be athletes? Or would it be the horses.

I say it is not a sport because the work is being done by a machine, and the endurance is sitting in a car concentrating and enduring heat and mental exhaustion. It aint running up and down a court and using physical skill to dunk on Shaq.

I know people will disagree, but thats how I view it. I have great respect for their skill, but poker players have skill and endurance, but it aint a sport and they are not athletes either.

I see most people view it differently than me but this board is full of auto racing fans. Put the same question on a basketball board and you would probably have different results.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

vader - I hear what you're saying...and I think motorsports is very unique in that the tool is such an important factor for the "sport". Consider archery though? It is definitely not as physically demanding as motorsports, but takes as much concentration and precision. Would you consider archery a sport? If not, then my point is moot

Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Dec 1 2008, 01:40 PM
I answered double no.

I think driver are higly skilled and it is a competitve event that requires some endurance but I don't find them to be athletes.

Would horse jockey's be athletes? Or would it be the horses.

I say it is not a sport because the work is being done by a machine, and the endurance is sitting in a car concentrating and enduring heat and mental exhaustion. It aint running up and down a court and using physical skill to dunk on Shaq.

I know people will disagree, but thats how I view it. I have great respect for their skill, but poker players have skill and endurance, but it aint a sport and they are not athletes either.

I see most people view it differently than me but this board is full of auto racing fans. Put the same question on a basketball board and you would probably have different results.
The only way that your post makes any sense at all is if you ignore the definition of the words.

If you can do that, I can say that I do not view the S2000 as a car, I think of it more as a motorcycle. That makes just about the same amount of sense.

Quick Reply: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?