Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?
Yes, auto racing is a sport and the drivers are athletes
78.38%
Yes, auto racing is a sport, but the drivers are NOT athletes.
16.76%
No, auto racing is not a sport, but the drivers ARE athletes.
1.62%
No, auto racing is not a sport and the drivers are not athletes.
3.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?

Old 02-28-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Athletes are trained for different things. Accomplished power lifters don't make good endurance runners and vice versa. Both are athletes. Race car drivers more akin to endurance athletes, AND the must maintain an extreme level of focus for hours on end. e.g. if an endurance runner loses focus for a moment, he stumbles, maybe wipes out. A driver can hit a wall and kill himself. Further, Rusty Wallace and Jeff Gordon loose 8 - 10lbs every race while enduring cabin temps about 140. I sure it's similar for Trans-am, GT, etc. The pos/neg/lateral G's that F1 and Cart drivers endure is more than many other "athletes" could take for corner after corner and hour after hour. Just MHO.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:26 PM

Whoever says that racecar drivers aren't athletes says that out of ignorance. Drivers like schumey are in peak physical condition. I bet f1 drivers have body fat percentages akin to olympic track stars.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElTianti
[B]Do a track day, all of your question will be answered.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:56 PM

yes its a sport, no they're not athletes but that isnt a bad thing. just because someone is an athlete doesnt make them better than a non-athlete, it all depends on the field of interest.i'd rather be a race car driver than a "athlete".
Old 02-28-2003, 08:24 PM

IMO, yes race car drivers are athletes. anyone ever have experiene of driving a race car or go kart knows

it will requires a lot body strength and especially upper body strength to well control what they are

driving.

most great professional race car drivers (F1, Rally, GT...) will spend hours for work out each day to keep

their good shape and for their job, they also have their own trainners and people who give advise on

their meal plan fellow them everywhere and work with them everyday, just like other professional

athletes.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:06 AM

Any game where you can easily DIE at any moment is a sport.
Anyone who plays that game for several hours is an athlete.

Of course this does remove most popular "sports" from the classification. But hey, risking death brings it up a level doesn't it

-Ed
Old 03-01-2003, 11:01 AM

This is reminding me of the movie Kingpin when he goes to the tournament and sees all the big, fat, beer guzzling, smoking bowlers. "I'm in awe to be in the presence of such great athletes"
Old 03-01-2003, 07:13 PM

According to this USA Today article, driving a race car is the second hardest thing to do in all of sports:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
Old 03-02-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your friend consider baseball a sport? Because there are certainly some tubby guys out there playing in the majors...
actually I brought that up and yes, he does consider it a sport. I argued that baseball players spend a lot of time just sitting or standing around. I think baseball is a sport, but no more than auto racing.

Thanks kster, I will have to show my friend that article, Iam sure he will get a kick out of it!
Old 03-02-2003, 07:06 AM

Definitely "YES" and "YES".

Quick Reply: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?