Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?
Yes, auto racing is a sport and the drivers are athletes
78.38%
Yes, auto racing is a sport, but the drivers are NOT athletes.
16.76%
No, auto racing is not a sport, but the drivers ARE athletes.
1.62%
No, auto racing is not a sport and the drivers are not athletes.
3.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?

Old 02-27-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?

I had this discussion with one of my co-workers the other day. I think auto racing is a sport and race car drivers are athletes, but he does not. I guess it depends on what your definition of a sport is. Here is Websters definition:

sport - such an activity, esp. when competitive, requiring more or less vigorous bodily exertion and carried on, sometimes as a profession, accordng to some traditional form or set of rules.

athlete - a person trained in exercises, games or contests requiring physical strength, skil, stamina, speed etc.

His arguement is that they're just driving cars and any fat person can do it and do it well, you are not required to be in good physical shape to compete in motorsports.

I don't agree, the best race car drivers in the world are not what I would consider fat - Micheal Schumacher, Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Colin McRae, Richard Burns, Marcus Gronholm, Tommi Makinnen etc. Although there are some that are a little on the heavy side like John Force, for the most part race car drivers, at least the good ones, are not out of shape.

For Micheal Schumacher to drive for several hours subjecting his body to the imense G-Forces that a Formula 1 car can exert is extremely hard on the body and requires stamina. For Tommi Makinnen to slide a turbocharged rally car around tight roads with the steering wheel at opposite lock requires extreme skill, speed and reflexes and for Dale Earnhardt Jr. to drive a 700hp car at 180 mph a mere few inches from other cars for the better part of 4 hours requires skill and stamina also. I think people fail to understand the intense focus and concentration it takes and physical punishment they must endure. Some NASCAR drivers loose over 5 lbs during races where it is extremely hot from just sweat. The cars they drive are purpose built race cars, not Buick Park Avenues with dual zone climate controls and 7 speaker Bose sound systems - hell i get wore out from driving my Chevy on the highway for 4 hours at 65 mph.

With the exception of professional boxers and wrestlers (not that WWF crap) I have more respect for race car drivers than I do for other athletes including hockey, baseball, football, tennis, and basketball players.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with you. Most of those guys are in great shape. You have to be able to take the high temps and long periods of time spent in a racecar, it is very exhausting
Old 02-27-2003, 07:21 PM

Do a track day, all of your question will be answered. I can
crank out 7 min miles and I'm beat after a track day in my
S2000. I can't imagine what it would be like in a actual race
car.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Does your friend consider baseball a sport? Because there are certainly some tubby guys out there playing in the majors...

And what about those sports that require one to be fat? Sumo!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 PM

great shape? Ray Lewis is in great shape. Marshall Faulk is in great shape. Auto-racing is definitely a sport, but the drivers are a far cry from being athletic physical specimens. Being skinny does not equal being an athlete.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:48 PM

These guys are in amazing shape. The stamina required to click off 40+ consecutive laps at 10/10ths driving (and sometimes even moreso), with a range in lap times of less than 1 second... The full concentration required...
Old 02-28-2003, 06:45 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

<Being skinny does not equal being an athlete>

have you seen any marathon runners lately? What about the professional cyclists? BTW their resting heart rate range from 30-40 bpm.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:51 AM

No no no.

Generally, fit athletes are "skinny," but to assume that athletic = skinny is false reasoning. Athletic = skinny, but skinny
Old 02-28-2003, 07:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's more of an endurance and ability to remain focus. You can't be Randy Moss (take a few plays off) and do lap after lap at full tilt.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=78506

Quick Reply: Do you think auto-racing is a sport and are race car drivers athletes?