Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Which do you prefer?

Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Dec 24 2007, 08:04 PM
archie, i think you along with most people dont understand that us 135i folk arent interested in the 335i. Yes its more beautiful and elegant and have more room but we still want something more compact. Whose to argue with a car thats 200lbs lighter and has the same power??

If I had to pick between the EVO and STI I would go with the EVO. I would not pay 40k for a hatchback; AWD or not. If I want real utility then I would pony up for an SUV. The only space advantage the STI has over the 135i is the extra doors. The seats fold flat in the bimmer also.
I do understand that but since he's planning on keeping the S2k and wasn't thrilled about the 135I's looks thought it might be a consideration.I'm sure the 135I is gonna be more fun to drive, lighter and more nimble= more fun.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1nner
Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Dec 24 2007, 08:04 AM
archie, i think you along with most people dont understand that us 135i folk arent interested in the 335i. Yes its more beautiful and elegant and have more room but we still want something more compact. Whose to argue with a car thats 200lbs lighter and has the same power??

If I had to pick between the EVO and STI I would go with the EVO. I would not pay 40k for a hatchback; AWD or not. If I want real utility then I would pony up for an SUV. The only space advantage the STI has over the 135i is the extra doors. The seats fold flat in the bimmer also.
I'm not sure if Rai is necessarily a "135 folk," though.

I'd have to disagree with the utility of a hatch. Hatchbacks are enormously more useful than cars with a narrow trunk opening. Try putting 3x3ft box in a traditional trunk...

I came to that realization when trying to ship a differential and trying to jam that thing in the trunk of a sedan sucked donkey balls. I had an old Ford Probe over a decade ago that I stuffed full of random crap.

Hatches and wagons.

But Rai has a minivan and an MDX, so utility isn't really a big concern for him.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:40 AM

Normally, lighter and more compact would be nothing but good w/ regard to driving dynamics, but I've read more than one review which stated the 335 outhandles the 135 due to better weight distribution.

Still, the 335, as great as it may be, isn't a substitute for a sports car IMO. Hopefully the 135 will be, or at least come a bit closer.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 AM

I my hatchback, and I paid way more than $40K for it w/ no regrets!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:46 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Dec 24 2007, 08:42 AM
I my hatchback, and I paid way more than $40K for it w/ no regrets!
true
Old 12-24-2007, 07:51 AM

STI all the way. There aren't any cars out there that look like it. It's low, wide, and mean. The aftermarket has already gotten a hold of it and it is beastly. This car is no joke.

It might be a hatchback but it isn't ugly at all. Driving impressions of it have been excellent and it is in no way a downgrade to the previous model like the Evo is.

I really like the fact that it has fold down rear seats. I won't use the space but I would like to think I have a two seater
Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Dec 24 2007, 08:40 AM
Normally, lighter and more compact would be nothing but good w/ regard to driving dynamics, but I've read more than one review which stated the 335 outhandles the 135 due to better weight distribution.

Still, the 335, as great as it may be, isn't a substitute for a sports car IMO. Hopefully the 135 will be, or at least come a bit closer.
I've read them ALL Chris. All of them have provided no numbers other than what the manufacturers have stated. Hopefully early in the New Year we well get some actual numbers. BMW purposely dialed in a shitload of understeer at the limits. I've also read on EVO forums and STI forums that the car is a swaybar away from being a monster. Personally, I'm not interested in that. Just give me a reflashed luxo GT and I'm game.

And I've noticed that Rai isnt ''135i folk''

Dont get me wrong though. I have looked at both the STI and EVO cars in their base applications. Its just that when I'm spending 35k-40k, I expect a certain degree of luxury/prestige. There, I said it. I'm human.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM

It is interesting that to some, prestige is a good thing and, to others, its a negative (like myself). One of the reasons I'm drawn to the s2000 (although I do not own one) is that 'lack of prestige'.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by offtopic,Dec 24 2007, 08:58 AM
It is interesting that to some, prestige is a good thing and, to others, its a negative (like myself). One of the reasons I'm drawn to the s2000 (although I do not own one) is that 'lack of prestige'.
Indeed it is. I'm sure you show prestige in some other way though. I myself am aattracted to cars and houses. Not so much clothing, shoes etc. I have no problem telling someone I drive a Honda. But the fact that the car is a BMW dosent hurt. I mean people work their whole lives in order to afford such prestigious machines at an older age.

Quick Reply: Which do you prefer?