Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

do rotory engine exhausts have cats?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy do rotory engine exhausts have cats?

not to stire up the fight over how to put out fires, but...

in the thread about the rx8 that causght fire. everyone kept saying that the oil and fuel in the cat was ingiting. i thought that the rotorys didn't have cats, and that is wht they get suc bad mpg cause they just run super rich and the extra fuel ignites in the exhaust.

i could be wrong, but i could have sworn that that is what it said when i was reading about them...

Just as the shape of the Wankel combustion chamber prevents preignition, it also leads to incomplete combustion of the air-fuel charge, with the remaining unburned hydrocarbons released into the exhaust. While manufacturers of piston-engine cars were turning to expensive catalytic converters to completely oxidize the unburned hydrocarbons, Mazda was able to avoid this cost by enriching the air/fuel mixture and increasing the amount of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust to actually support complete combustion in a 'thermal reactor' (an enlarged open chamber in the exhaust manifold) without the need for a catalytic converter, thereby producing a clean exhaust at the cost of some extra fuel consumption. World gasoline prices rose sharply at the time Mazda introduced their Wankel engine, making the cleaner exhaust/increased fuel consumption tradeoff an unwelcome one for consumers.

thats from wikipedia

so they either changed it for the rx8 or i'm really confused... especially cause there was one guy who really sounded like he knew about them, and i believe he ever refered to the cats as the culprit for the fire

sorry i had to make a whole thread just for this, but the other one was closed because of the bickering about how to put out a fire. and don't bring that s**t in here either
Old 01-29-2009, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they have CATs. One reason for the bad MPG is they send unburnt fuel down the pipe to keep them cooler so they meet requirements for the life of the CATs.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555' date='Jan 29 2009, 03:12 AM
not to stire up the fight over how to put out fires, but...

in the thread about the rx8 that causght fire. everyone kept saying that the oil and fuel in the cat was ingiting. i thought that the rotorys didn't have cats, and that is wht they get suc bad mpg cause they just run super rich and the extra fuel ignites in the exhaust.

i could be wrong, but i could have sworn that that is what it said when i was reading about them...

Just as the shape of the Wankel combustion chamber prevents preignition, it also leads to incomplete combustion of the air-fuel charge, with the remaining unburned hydrocarbons released into the exhaust. While manufacturers of piston-engine cars were turning to expensive catalytic converters to completely oxidize the unburned hydrocarbons, Mazda was able to avoid this cost by enriching the air/fuel mixture and increasing the amount of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust to actually support complete combustion in a 'thermal reactor' (an enlarged open chamber in the exhaust manifold) without the need for a catalytic converter, thereby producing a clean exhaust at the cost of some extra fuel consumption. World gasoline prices rose sharply at the time Mazda introduced their Wankel engine, making the cleaner exhaust/increased fuel consumption tradeoff an unwelcome one for consumers.

thats from wikipedia

so they either changed it for the rx8 or i'm really confused... especially cause there was one guy who really sounded like he knew about them, and i believe he ever refered to the cats as the culprit for the fire

sorry i had to make a whole thread just for this, but the other one was closed because of the bickering about how to put out a fire. and don't bring that s**t in here either
This is probably from the late 70's when the engine was first being made.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 AM

Wankels get bad gas mileage because they have a lot of combustion chamber surface area vs the volume of the chamber. That means a lot of heat from the combustion is absorbed into the walls of the chamber and in turn absorbed by the cooling system.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 AM

Yes, they do have cats. In fact one of the typical FD mods is to replace the cat with a straight pipe because the it tends to cause more backpressure and trap more heat. That said, it can make it, um, challenging to pass emissions tests thereafter.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM

every street legal car you see that isn't from the 70's i think i forget what the abbreviation is otherwise i'd look it up, has a cat unless someone replaced it with a test pipe
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Late 80s RX7s had 3 cats, which when they failed, cost tonnnnns to replace.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyCB' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:43 PM
Late 80s RX7s had 3 cats, which when they failed, cost tonnnnns to replace.
Yeah, actually I should have said that even the FD had 2 cats. The "precat" was the one that was notorious for clogging up, trapping heat in the turbos and causing engine failures. Everybody replaces that with a straight pipe.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, well the way wiki was saying ir, they just had that extra gas to burn off anything, it does make more sence that they would have a cat
Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM

My 1989 RX-7 GTU had 3 cats. that i replaced with one test pipe after the cats clogged up. i remember they where crazy expensive to replace!

Quick Reply: do rotory engine exhausts have cats?