Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Do "most" people buy cars because of potential performance (image) ?

Old 01-08-2004 | 08:30 AM
rai

Default Do "most" people buy cars because of potential performance (image) ?

I'm talking about the average E55 or AMG S65 or Cayenne turbo etc...

You know how people buy SUVs for "go anywhere" capibility yet 95% never go off-road. Well what about these 12 second cars and trucks? With the 55-75 mph speed limit who needs 180mph cars?

Seems like in most instances you can get as much real world performance out of a S2000 as a 911 tt. I know the tt willl stomp a S2000, but if you do a 4 second 0-60 start (on the street), you're in trouble with the law.

This guy I know with a 911 tt, drives slower than I do in my little S2000.
Old 01-08-2004 | 09:09 AM

That's part of it. Part of it is to impress their friends/status. I was talking to a Merc dealer and he said lots of folks just want the one with the biggest number on the back. No idea of the performance potential.
Old 01-08-2004 | 12:29 PM
Banned

Who needs the speed limit?

Seriously, the logic that says the ability to drive over 70 mph is wasted because the speed limit is only 70 mph is ignoring some very important facts. One, unless a police oficer sees you do it, they can't give you a ticket for doing it (regarding speeding). Two, some people drive on racetracks, where there is no speed limit to hamper them. Three, in many cases, an engine that can propel a car to 70 mph very quickly can also drive at twice that speed, but that doesn't mean the driver ever intends to do so.

I drove a 4-wheel drive truck for years, not because I needed one to get to work every day, but because it snows where I live, and four wheel drive is just common sense in the winter. Also, if I am going to buy a truck, the extra cost of getting four wheel drive is not excessive, and where I live I will get most of that additional cost back when I sell it. Seems kind of silly not to buy four wheel drive in a truck, unless you really don't want to spend the money.

You get more than "go anywhere" capability with a new full-size 4x4 pickup or SUV, you also have the ability to tow large loads, carry large, heavy cargo, and a very safe structure in the event of a mishap on the road. Assuming the truck you see on Monday morning on the way to work is never used for anything more taxing than hauling one person is kind of ignorant, many people don't tow their boat or camper to work every day, or haul furniture everywhere they go. Often the truck is under-utilized, but that doesn't mean it is never used for anything other than as a commuter car on dry, paved roads.

And I have never gotten a ticket for acceleration, they all were for maintaining an average speed 15 mph or more in excess of the posted speed limit. Making 4.5 second 0-60 blasts will not get you a ticket unless you do it in front of a police officer in an unsafe situation.

There is also a very valid school of thought that says not having enough acceleration to get out of the way of a semi when merging onto a freeway is dangerous, whereas having a car with potential to perform beyond what you ever intend to use won't cause any safety problems in and of itself.
Old 01-08-2004 | 12:49 PM

Seems like in most instances you can get as much real world performance out of a S2000 as a 911 tt.
Not really. Both cars are fantastic in their own way, but the ability to go from 20-60 or 70-90 in a blink makes things a bit more interesting in the 911 turbo.

I know the tt willl stomp a S2000, but if you do a 4 second 0-60 start (on the street), you're in trouble with the law.
See above, power at speed is more addictive and perhaps a bit more usable too. 0-60 is a worthless endeavor in my opinion. What
Old 01-08-2004 | 03:01 PM

I dunno Steve. When I drive the Jeep G.C. I press the gas just as hard but I physically can't be as aggressive (read: being an ass) as in the vette. My girlfriend complains in the vette but I say, "honey, I'm trying to drive the same, honest."

There's definitely some status-thinking going on in the whole SUV thing. That's one reason I think BMW, Porsche, MBZ, and Land Rover have an edge in their ability to charge more.
Old 01-09-2004 | 02:44 AM

I have to agree with steve's analysis.

One other point, a hybrid can break the legal speed limit, but take it to the track, and you would have ALOT more fun in the s2k, 911 TT than a Hybrid.
Old 01-09-2004 | 04:03 AM
rai

I see your point, but what I'm saying is how many cars are taken to the track? I bet less than 5%.
Old 01-09-2004 | 04:34 AM

I think the vast majority of Corvette owners buy the car for image (OF COURSE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS!). It's the same mentality of a Dentist buying a Harley. Both vehicles have an American Icon image and are absolutely worshipped for the image and not the performance. People who buy these icons usually have never had a sports car or a motorcycle before and really don't consider any of the cars' competitors. How many of the stereotypical vette owners test drove a M3 before buying an automatic vette?

I can't tell you how many people I know who want a Harley and think they Harleys are the best thing since slice bread. These people have NEVER ridden a motorcycle before and they couldn't tell you one logical reason for their choice in two wheelers.

A mustang can be lumped into the same category. To a lot of people, any other make/model isn't even a consideration.
Old 01-09-2004 | 08:58 AM

that's why I got my S, for my status quo... j/k
both of my brother bought a benz for status quo. They both regret it now. Older one w/ CLK 430 wants to trade it in for a Ferrari (he passed on a 911 when he got the benz).
My little brother just bought an Acura TSX and he loves it more than his C240.
Me, I'm happy w/ mine. I just want to add another car to my collection as soon as I pay this one off. I'm leaning more towards Evo8 and G35 coupe, both look great w/ nice performance, and oh yeah, status quo...