Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Discussing Hyundai as a Company

Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discussing Hyundai as a Company

For many many years, many have laughed at Hyundai for being a cheap econobox car company that had to basically bribe their customers by offering them ridiculous warranties.

If we remember, these are the same symptoms that Honda and Toyota faced when they first brought their little econoboxes to the land of the tank mobiles. More importantly, Lexus, was the laughing stock when they tried to compete with Mercedes and BMW. After a number of years, Lexus actually surpassed BMW and Benz in every important category for the ultra luxury class. They laughed no more, and not only that, Lexus FORCED all the car companies to get their heads out of where the sun don't shine and improve.

I believe Hyundai is the new Lexus. They have invested over a decade into building trust with their customers, by providing good quality (reliability wise) transportation at a very reasonable value, and are NOW jumping into the higher end class. While they are not yet on the BMW or Mercedes level, IMHO, in 5 years or so, they will surpass them, just like Lexus did. The Genesis (coupe and sedan) are both phenomenal cars) and are made even more attractive due to their price and their quality. I think both cars will sell very well, and during these hard times, people are really wanting the most for their money. Furthermore, I think Hyundai is a big threat to the American auto industry, providing far superior products for, more often than not, less money.

Anywho, anyone had any thoughts on the subject?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... Interesting point you're making.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 PM

I'd admit. Back in the day, I thought Hyundai as a cheap econo-box and I had absolutely no respect for their cars. I use to think they were crappy and cheap, and a POS. But now, they're up to their game providing a lot of features of cars more expensive and better bang for your buck.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mystiqueskillz,Feb 13 2009, 03:23 AM
I'd admit. Back in the day, I thought Hyundai as a cheap econo-box and I had absolutely no respect for their cars. I use to think they were crappy and cheap, and a POS. But now, they're up to their game providing a lot of features of cars more expensive and better bang for your buck.
Most older American guys I've met who were around when Honda/Toyota began bringing over their little puny 1.4 liter motors were laughing when they were driving big V8 Buicks and whatnot. If you take your quote above, and substitute with work Hyundai with Honda or Toyota, the story would remain the same.

The Germans never expected that the LS400, 430, and now the 600 would be even close to their S class/7 series, not to mention BETTER!!!

There are a lot of big things happening in S.Korea. Their electronics went from POS's to top of the line, and now, I think their cars will crawl up that ladder as well.

Hell, if I told you guys 5 years ago that Hyundai will win N.American Car of The Year, you would think I'm hitting the crack pipe too hard.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What most Americans don't know is that cars are not the top thing Hyundai produces. They are the worlds largest big ship builder (tankers) and have some serious interest in the Asian steel industry. They also build electronics and supply a lot of vehicles to the South Korean Military. You've probably seen some Hyundai construction equipment working on road construction or another big project. If you live near a port or heavily-used commercial train tracks, you've probably seen more Hyundai containers than Hyundai cars driving on the street.

They're a monstrous company with assets in more fields than Toyota ever dreamed of. Forget the Germans and the American automotive manufacturers though....it is the Japanese the Koreans want.

Years of wars between Korea and Japan (usually with Korea losing or being occupied) has fueled a cultural drive to dominate Japan. They've turned this drive into a business push instead of militaristic battle. Despite what their marketing department might show you, they are after the Japanese.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Hyundai won't be considered a luxury brand to any degree until their dealerships catch up with their quality and reputation -- that is a long way off.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Feb 13 2009, 04:37 AM
What most Americans don't know is that cars are not the top thing Hyundai produces. They are the worlds largest big ship builder (tankers) and have some serious interest in the Asian steel industry. They also build electronics and supply a lot of vehicles to the South Korean Military. You've probably seen some Hyundai construction equipment working on road construction or another big project. If you live near a port or heavily-used commercial train tracks, you've probably seen more Hyundai containers than Hyundai cars driving on the street.

They're a monstrous company with assets in more fields than Toyota ever dreamed of. Forget the Germans and the American automotive manufacturers though....it is the Japanese the Koreans want.

Years of wars between Korea and Japan (usually with Korea losing or being occupied) has fueled a cultural drive to dominate Japan. They've turned this drive into a business push instead of militaristic battle. Despite what their marketing department might show you, they are after the Japanese.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Feb 13 2009, 07:23 AM
Hyundai won't be considered a luxury brand to any degree until their dealerships catch up with their quality and reputation -- that is a long way off.
as well. Great points on this thread. Hyundai's car division is just one of many sectors and yes, hyundai is after japan.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work with Hyundai, although it is their marine division. They are the 3rd largest ship maker in the world and they are growing. I had no idea they made ships before I took this job and now I would have no problem buying any of their products.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,875 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Never really had any disrespect for Hyundai even since the days of the old Excel back in the late 80's. They were simply offering affordable cars for the masses just as Daewoo wanted to do in recent years. Their styling in the past has been questionable, but they seem to be making strides to correct that with the current lineup.

I agree with what some of the above had said, they are simply trying to do what Toyota/Lexus has accomplished and I wish them well. Competition is a good thing.

Quick Reply: Discussing Hyundai as a Company