Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

diminished value?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diminished value?

My 05 GPW was recently backed up into by a truck in a parking lot. There was a huge dent in my driver's side rear quarter panel. Insurance found the other party to be liable and paid for the repairs ($4k!). My question is.... how would this impact the resale value of my car? I recently took it to CarMax for a trade in value and they appraised it for only $12k (my car has 55k miles) while the Kelly blue book value for a car without the accident was 18k. Is it worth going after the other party's insurance for diminished car value?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

You'll never get a dime out of insurance for "diminished value", don't waste your time. I doubt you'd get 18K for it on trade-in without the accident history. My guess is more like 13-14K on trade-in without the damage.

The only way to get money would be if you had an "agreed value" policy, which is typically for collectors cars which aren't driven much as the value is assumed constant through the term. Regular cars are constantly depreciating.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a sizable check for diminished value on my Lotus and a check for Loss of Use while it was down for repairs (since it was my weekend toy). I contacted the insurance company for the party at fault. They sent an independent appraiser after the repairs were made to write up a report. Then the insurance company tried to low ball me. I provided documentation for similar cars with clean and bad carfax reports and we negotiated for a while until we settled.

On a S2000 you might have a hard time but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Darn. I guess I'll have to take the loss.. : (
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I got a sizable check for diminished value on my Lotus and a check for Loss of Use while it was down for repairs (since it was my weekend toy). I contacted the insurance company for the party at fault. They sent an independent appraiser after the repairs were made to write up a report. Then the insurance company tried to low ball me. I provided documentation for similar cars with clean and bad carfax reports and we negotiated for a while until we settled.

On a S2000 you might have a hard time but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot!
How did you get the documentation on similar car values? Dealers won't give me anything in writing.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fought for a year to get a diminished value settlement after my wife's car was rear-ended. Got professional appraisals based upon the repairs done and the carfax records. Went to the state insurance commissioner (all they do is write letters but it is a little extra pressure) and threatened legal action. Eventually settled the claim for 24% of the blue book value.

My own insurance company was pretty worthless and I had to handle the claim against the other company myself.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
I fought for a year to get a diminished value settlement after my wife's car was rear-ended. Got professional appraisals based upon the repairs done and the carfax records. Went to the state insurance commissioner (all they do is write letters but it is a little extra pressure) and threatened legal action. Eventually settled the claim for 24% of the blue book value.

My own insurance company was pretty worthless and I had to handle the claim against the other company myself.
wow seems like a headache...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:46 PM

21% is typical "lost value" that I have had no problem collecting.
The assigned claims agent will pull your chain and bluff about " they don't pay lost value"......BS!
If you have signed off on the repairs without commenting or requesting you may be SOL, but if not, go for it.

Different world if injuries are involved, YEMV.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TwoRs
21% is typical "lost value" that I have had no problem collecting.
The assigned claims agent will pull your chain and bluff about " they don't pay lost value"......BS!
If you have signed off on the repairs without commenting or requesting you may be SOL, but if not, go for it.

Different world if injuries are involved, YEMV.
Yeah I made sure not to cash out their check for repairs because they said signing the check is "contingent to releasing of liability"...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Also depends on the state. Certain states are much easier than others.

Quick Reply: diminished value?