Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Diesel.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel.

The engine technology ... not the clothing brand.

Discuss.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about this guy
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM

diesel is nice
I want an audi A6 3.0 TDI 6 MT
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM

so, I never really had any interest in diesel until recently; then we picked up the 335d.
For DD duty, I would say it is awesome. Monstrous torque; doesn't really matter what gear you're in - when you step on the gas, it goes and goes fast.
There is a very small turbo lag which almost feels like you're waiting for the auto to downshift when you're in first (maybe you are; haven't driven it enough to tell-it's my wife's car). On the downside, it revs to only 5500 or thereabouts (could be 6k), which just seems strange...an extra 1-2k really changes the feel of the car.
Mileage for far is TBD, she's turning 25mpg in 100% city driving <35mph with a lot of stop signs and lights; her first road trip will be next week and I'll get a read on HWY mileage. Should be high 30s to maybe 40 depending on the elevation changes and speed limit.
Some annoying things like the Urea refill (covered during the free maintenance period for BMWs), some odd behavior periodically the fans will run in the garage for 15 minutes as part of the diesel particulate filter cleaning cycle (it's normal, just weird...makes your garage smell like something is burning).
Diesel availability is decent, about 1/3 of stations around my house have it.
The economics absolutely make sense when you factor in tax credits, etc.
It's great going 500 miles on a tank; way fewer fill ups.
It's relatively quiet, doesn't smell, no smoke (ha).
As someone else put it, it has more torque than a Hemi and better mileage than most 4 bangers, what's not to like?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ That is about as accurate a description of MODERN Diesel as I have heard. It always makes me chuckle when I hear people saying how dirty, stinky and nasty diesel is. I HATE the smell of stinky diesel more than anyone I know, but I also know that modern diesel makes much more sense than modern hybrids.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM

I guess none of the -1 f@#ktards know anything about diesel. Great job!

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
what about this guy
Dammit, hahaha, I should have put him in the exclusion list

Originally Posted by dombey
so, I never really had any interest in diesel until recently; then we picked up the 335d. For DD duty, I would say it is awesome. Monstrous torque; doesn't really matter what gear you're in - when you step on the gas, it goes and goes fast.There is a very small turbo lag which almost feels like you're waiting for the auto to downshift when you're in first (maybe you are; haven't driven it enough to tell-it's my wife's car). On the downside, it revs to only 5500 or thereabouts (could be 6k), which just seems strange...an extra 1-2k really changes the feel of the car. Mileage for far is TBD, she's turning 25mpg in 100% city driving <35mph with a lot of stop signs and lights; her first road trip will be next week and I'll get a read on HWY mileage. Should be high 30s to maybe 40 depending on the elevation changes and speed limit.Some annoying things like the Urea refill (covered during the free maintenance period for BMWs), some odd behavior periodically the fans will run in the garage for 15 minutes as part of the diesel particulate filter cleaning cycle (it's normal, just weird...makes your garage smell like something is burning).Diesel availability is decent, about 1/3 of stations around my house have it. The economics absolutely make sense when you factor in tax credits, etc. It's great going 500 miles on a tank; way fewer fill ups. It's relatively quiet, doesn't smell, no smoke (ha).As someone else put it, it has more torque than a Hemi and better mileage than most 4 bangers, what's not to like?
Outstanding post, this is what I wanted to hear about, like the peculiar fan behavior and fuel availability (you didn't have any problems figuring out my "tricky" topic title ).

Your post is even more relevant that you might know, since I've been kind of ruminating over another X5, but specifically the diesel model.

I've been trying to figure out the fuel price difference vs. mileage difference, but certainly, having better range is outstanding. We just recently did one our PA roadtrips and I was thinking about that as a model for savings. Love the insane torque, I think the 35d X5 is like ~450 @ 1700RPM or something close.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by [DT
;21139751]I guess none of the -1 f@#ktards know anything about diesel. Great job!

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' timestamp='1320784372' post='21139458
what about this guy
Dammit, hahaha, I should have put him in the exclusion list

Originally Posted by dombey
so, I never really had any interest in diesel until recently; then we picked up the 335d. For DD duty, I would say it is awesome. Monstrous torque; doesn't really matter what gear you're in - when you step on the gas, it goes and goes fast.There is a very small turbo lag which almost feels like you're waiting for the auto to downshift when you're in first (maybe you are; haven't driven it enough to tell-it's my wife's car). On the downside, it revs to only 5500 or thereabouts (could be 6k), which just seems strange...an extra 1-2k really changes the feel of the car. Mileage for far is TBD, she's turning 25mpg in 100% city driving <35mph with a lot of stop signs and lights; her first road trip will be next week and I'll get a read on HWY mileage. Should be high 30s to maybe 40 depending on the elevation changes and speed limit.Some annoying things like the Urea refill (covered during the free maintenance period for BMWs), some odd behavior periodically the fans will run in the garage for 15 minutes as part of the diesel particulate filter cleaning cycle (it's normal, just weird...makes your garage smell like something is burning).Diesel availability is decent, about 1/3 of stations around my house have it. The economics absolutely make sense when you factor in tax credits, etc. It's great going 500 miles on a tank; way fewer fill ups. It's relatively quiet, doesn't smell, no smoke (ha).As someone else put it, it has more torque than a Hemi and better mileage than most 4 bangers, what's not to like?
Outstanding post, this is what I wanted to hear about, like the peculiar fan behavior and fuel availability (you didn't have any problems figuring out my "tricky" topic title ).

Your post is even more relevant that you might know, since I've been kind of ruminating over another X5, but specifically the diesel model.

I've been trying to figure out the fuel price difference vs. mileage difference, but certainly, having better range is outstanding. We just recently did one our PA roadtrips and I was thinking about that as a model for savings. Love the insane torque, I think the 35d X5 is like ~450 @ 1700RPM or something close.
yeah I believe the 335d is 425 at something like 1,400 rpm or similar (don't quote me). In a 3-series.
Based on the experience so far, I wouldn't hesitate to take the plunge on another diesel model if it wasn't a dedicated sports car (ie I'd miss the high revving too much if I was driving stick in a convertible, for example)...but if it is a sedan or SUV, it makes a ton of sense.
Another thing worth noting: When you hear people say things like "but diesel is more expensive than gas"...maybe it depends on your area of the country, but here diesel is maybe 15 cents more than premium. That is like 4%. The mileage upside is way more than 4%. Tax benefits kill off any premium you pay for the diesel model. So it's hard for it to NOT make sense.
Also, a lot of the time you see diesel vs. regular unleaded comparisons, because a diesel VW might be cross shopped with a number of econoboxes that rock regular unleaded. Given you're on the s2000 forum, you probably dig sporty cars, and any car in your consideration set probably takes premium.
So for me, it was really a matter of premium gas or diesel, there are literally no cars I'd consider buying that take anything else.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

This is going to sound like I'm being a smart ass but I assure you I'm completely serious: whenever I smell diesel exhaust, it gives me indigestion. It usually takes a few minutes of exposure for it really manifest, but it happens without fail. Weird, right?

Before you start in with all off the, "that's not possible" biz, let me just say that I don't know how it happens, nor do I really care, but it certainly does happen.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
This is going to sound like I'm being a smart ass but I assure you I'm completely serious: whenever I smell diesel exhaust, it gives me indigestion. It usually takes a few minutes of exposure for it really manifest, but it happens without fail. Weird, right?

Before you start in with all off the, "that's not possible" biz, let me just say that I don't know how it happens, nor do I really care, but it certainly does happen.
what do I say to that?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I like them, wish there were more of them offered here for smaller, run of the mill, non german cars. Imagine like a corolla or civic with a diesel motor, crazy good mileage, even longer term durability, crazy good resale value, whats really not to like? Imo, I dont think we see too many of them here because 1) we dont have $5/gallon+ prices for gas and 2) americans have a tendency of switching cars every 3-5 years and lately it's becoming more apparent that manufacturers are building them accordingly, so the long term benefit of a diesel is irrelevant.
To me that make a ton more sense than hybrids since it;s been around for a long time so mechanics already have the tools to work on them, but perhaps thats why we have more hybrids than diesels here.

Quick Reply: Diesel.