Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Did I make a mistake?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to learn to juggle, but I'm going to start by learning with chainsaws. But don't worry. I intend to go slow, be careful, stay level-headed, and respect the power of the chainsaws while I'm learning". Like the high-wire example, the proper route here isn't hard to see. Be "careful" all you want, go as "slow" as you want, be as "cautious" as you want, be as "respectful" as you want...your still juggling chainsaws! The "level-headed" thing to do in this situation is NOT to start with chainsaws.
But, what if you turned the chainsaws off???

Then would it be ok to learn with chainsaws?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 3vilmonkey!,Jun 17 2008, 11:58 PM
But, what if you turned the chainsaws off???

Then would it be ok to learn with chainsaws?
I thought of the same thing when I read that.

I agree with the EGO thing though, I have/had that problem.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Problem is you can't turn off the chainsaw. How would you turn off the chainsaw? With your throttle control that we've established comes from practice? Unless you got a power commander that limits you to 6000 rpm, you're not turning off anything. I know it was an attempt at humor, but I really hate seeing these threads and invariably hearing how someone got really hurt or wrecked their brand new bike.

And food for thought for those considering this. A modern 750 will kill easier than a 250. Period. A local guy a while back bought a used older 600 supersport. Even took the time to practice in a parking lot instead of jumping straight into traffic. What happened was he made one mistake by dumping the clutch; the front end came up, slammed back down, his chest hit the tank, and he ended up dying from internal bleeding. I dare someone to tell me that a 250 would have done the same thing as that 600 supersport. We all think we're different and that we'll succeed where others have failed. But is the risk worth it? We just have stories to share in an attempt to dissuade. However, no one stops you from buying the 600, 750, 1000, or busa if that's what you're set on.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with Apollo is saying but keep in mind that other vehicles in your right-of-way cause something like twice as many crashes than single-vehicle crashes (from Hurt and MAIDS reports). And a fair percentage of single bike crashes involved alcohol.

I've got over 25 years and 100K miles of riding but I still get some close calls from idiots turning left out of on-coming traffic. Yes, you learn to see them thinking about it, you slow, cover the brakes, look for escapes, watch the front tires, and ride next to a larger vehicle (especially crossing intersections).

But doing all that only helps, not prevents. Some day I can see myself getting taken out by one of those left turners. Or the a-holes that are fully in my lane around a blind mountain turn (the very definition of a sphincter-clenching moment to me).
Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned on a Suzuki 750 also, just take it slow and don't let the power get to your head. Take an MTF class and take it easy.