Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Delphi bankruptcy -- how will it affect GM?

Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see anyone saying anything about over seas competition.
No copywrite laws, no unions, no EPA, no Fed problems....

This type of thing will continue to happen over and over again unless something is done.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:41 PM

This is an old article.......

http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/tcaw/00/sep/frey.html

The current data from the ACS shows that chemist makes a little more then this but, this it's enough to get my point thru.

A Chemist with a BS makes around $55,000/year.......someone that gone thru 4 years of college and pays tuition. Also note, that this is CHEMISTRY, which isn't the easiest subject.

Now wouldn't you be pissed too if you paid thousands of dollars to go get a chemistry degree, only to find out a UAW worker get paid just as much..........
Old 10-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by daabc,Oct 12 2005, 01:41 AM
A Chemist with a BS makes around $55,000/year.......someone that gone thru 4 years of college and pays tuition. Also note, that this is CHEMISTRY, which isn't the easiest subject.

Now wouldn't you be pissed too if you paid thousands of dollars to go get a chemistry degree, only to find out a UAW worker get paid just as much..........
As an Electrical Engineer, I am indeed disappointed that they make as much as I did when I graduated, despite my degree.

However, you can't fault them for looking after themselves, can you? Who doesn't want to make more money? It's the management's job to deny them the raises if they don't deserve it. I blame the management, not the worker. You'd ask for more money too if you knew you could get it.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:59 PM

your assuming that management had a choice to deny them the raise....
Old 10-12-2005, 04:26 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RossoS2K,Oct 11 2005, 11:29 AM
I don't see anyone saying anything about over seas competition.
No copywrite laws, no unions, no EPA, no Fed problems....

This type of thing will continue to happen over and over again unless something is done.
What do you suggest? Force us to buy overpriced goods just so workers can have an overpriced wage?

I mean, do you care where a $29 DVD player is made? If it was made by union workers in Buffalo and cost $129 for the same product what'd you rather buy?

Farmers can get people to pick lettuce for very cheap (unskilled labor). Would you rather we pay Union labor rates for them also? We'd have to pay $5 for a head of lettuce instead of $2.

GM said it's costing them $2B/year to buy from Delphi b/c they're overpriced from what they can get for same products elsewhere. That $2B has to be passed onto the price of the cars
Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Oct 12 2005, 07:26 AM
What do you suggest? Force us to buy overpriced goods just so workers can have an overpriced wage?

I mean, do you care where a $29 DVD player is made? If it was made by union workers in Buffalo and cost $129 for the same product what'd you rather buy?

Farmers can get people to pick lettuce for very cheap (unskilled labor). Would you rather we pay Union labor rates for them also? We'd have to pay $5 for a head of lettuce instead of $2.

GM said it's costing them $2B/year to buy from Delphi b/c they're overpriced from what they can get for same products elsewhere. That $2B has to be passed onto the price of the cars
Exactly my point.
When all the jobs are gone overseas to cheap labor who will be left to buy stuff?

Im all for globalization but there has to be a balance...