Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Decisions (long winded thread!)

Old 04-28-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 4,251 Likes on 3,308 Posts
Default Decisions (long winded thread!)

Week before last while in the city I had found a beautiful 91 911 for sale. Car had great history, one owner,low miles, vgc. I called about the car got the info. but wasn't able to go see it right away. Two days later I had gotten to see it and it had a deposit on it. I looked it over was impressed with what I saw but didn't drive it as it had been sold. I followed up to make sure the deal went thru and it had. Today the dealer calls me and says the man didn't come up with the cash so they are putting the car up for sale again and wanted to give me first dibs. Last week I finally got my goal price for an 03 red s2k but I haven't done the deal yet. Soooooooo? I know that this is an s2k board but I also know there are a lot of open-minded people here who have a lot of real-world experiences with cars. The Porsche is about 400.00 cheaper than what I can get the S for. and everyone pretty much knows the info on a new s. The 911 is a 91 C4 (AWD) with 53k original miles. One owner car bought at this Porsche dealer who is selling it. They serviced the car and have all the records and they also did the 60k service for this deal that just went thru. I am trying to see if I can get an extended warranty with it but if not it comes with a 30day 1k mile one. I really like both cars so I'm trying to figure out which would make the most sense for me to get. What do you guys/gals think?
Old 04-28-2003, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robb
[B]Week before last while in the city I had found a beautiful 91 911 for sale. Car had great history, one owner,low miles, vgc. I called about the car got the info. but wasn't able to go see it right away. Two days later I had gotten to see it and it had a deposit on it. I looked it over was impressed with what I saw but didn't drive it as it had been sold. I followed up to make sure the deal went thru and it had. Today the dealer calls me and says the man didn't come up with the cash so they are putting the car up for sale again and wanted to give me first dibs. Last week I finally got my goal price for an 03 red s2k but I haven't done the deal yet. Soooooooo? I know that this is an s2k board but I also know there are a lot of open-minded people here who have a lot of real-world experiences with cars. The Porsche is about 400.00 cheaper than what I can get the S for. and everyone pretty much knows the info on a new s.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:51 AM

Good points s2kpdx01. Financially how I see it is both would actually come close to being even.
Take a 5 year look
S2k 30k new- cost of repairs maint, I would guess not more than 1k at the most.
value after 5 year period- I'd say 20k tops.So i'm out roughly 11k for the car.
91 911 29k purchase price-cost of repairs/maint. 5 years say 10k. Value after 5 years say 25k. So I'm out 14k. 3k dollar diffrence over 5 years.
The reason I have to think about it is because I love both cars! I know I will be happy with either one but I am just trying to figure out which would be best as unfortunately I can only afford one.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robb
[B]Good points s2kpdx01. Financially how I see it is both would actually come close to being even.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:59 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

The 911 won't be worth 25k if you put a lot of miles on it, whereas an S2k will probably be around $20k with the same amount of miles added within the same 5 year period. Food for thought. Good luck!!
Old 04-28-2003, 09:07 AM

I won't be putting a lot of miles on either car. Whatever car I buy I will only be driving from late April till late Oct. This is due to the amount of salt used on the roads here. It's really hard to say what the 911 will be worth in 5 years as the hi-end used market changes quite a bit. The same can be said for the S as they get older demand may go up.
Quickag I see you formely had a 73 B. I too had a 73 B great cars lots of fun!
Old 04-28-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The porsche will prbably have a better resale value, and the S will be more reliable. But since it is a C4, that is almost too good of a car to turn down. If it's power and handling you want, go with the S, particularly because it is open to modifications. If it's prestige you want and all wheel drive control, go with the porsche.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but the early '90's 911's were not the best..

They were prone to a lot of tranny, baring, and connecting rod problems..

I did alot of research when I bought mine, and decided on an '88 carrera widebody with a whale tail..

Many have stated that was one of the best years for that car.

911's are quirky cars, I would suggest doing some research on some forums before you make your decesion.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:56 PM

Good advice Mindcore. I have done a lot of research on rennlist and have gained a lot of valuble information. I'm figuring that the weak points that the car came with are sorted out by now but I plan to check just to make sure. If I do pursue this car I will definately have a P.P.I. done. What really grabbed me about this car is that is a one-owner with complete history of all services and it has also just had it's 60k service done even tho it only has 53k. I am also familar with the dealer selling it who is the same dealer that sold it originally and serviced it the last 12 years.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

don't do it robb, you know you are destined for the S.........

Quick Reply: Decisions (long winded thread!)