Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Deciding on a convertible

Old 04-06-2007, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Deciding on a convertible

I am new to this forum, read some great posts and would appreciate any comments on my recent challenge.

It is time I owned another convertible and I am not sure which get. The ones I am considering are: S2000, Fiat Spyder, MR2 Convertible, 350Z Roadster, and any other that you feel fit my confused criteria below. The convertible Camaro's and Corvettes that I would consider are too expensive.

About fifteen years ago I sold my last convertible, a 1973 Fiat Spyder. After becoming very familiar with it mechanically while my mother owned it I purchased and drove it for five years before selling it. Prior to that convertible in the very early 1980's I owned a 1969 convertible Camaro. Although quite different than the Spyder, I loved driving this car also. Years have gone by, I am married and have a ten year old son, and I am now ready for another ragtop, although removable hardtop is good too.

I am 6' 1" and just over 180lb, mechanically adept (a past mechanic and degreed mechanical engineer), live near San Diego, and want another convertible that I can use for daily transportation in and around the city. My wife and I have an Acura TL that works great for all trips and seats everyone. We both work from home and really don't NEED a second car, but I sold my truck recently and would like another car, but this time a convertible.

My motorcycle days are long behind me and although I love and appreciate great performance, the car would mainly be used for running errands around town and taking a friend to play a round of golf or driving along the coast with my son or wife, preferably both, but one at a time is alright too.

I started my convertible quest thinking of a Fiat 124 Spyder, as those have a small backseat that would allow the car to hold the entire family and small dog if needed. Also, this car would fit a buddy and our two sets of golf clubs, albeit in the backseat. I quickly learned that there really aren't other sports cars out there that have a backseat like the Spyder. As much as I like the looks of the Pontiac Solstice, I would really want to stay away from newer American cars, as they are too unreliable and depreciate too quickly. However, Fiat 124 Spyders are quite old now and consequently tough to find in good condition.

I still haven't driven and of these cars yet, but will shortly, allowing me to knock one or two off the list. I would appreciate any comments that would help me make a decision, even if there are other cars that I had ignored.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! You are thinking of a 124 but bash modern American as unreliable? I had a 124 and your memory of its reliability does not match my memory of driveway wrenching.

Anyway, go sit in the MR2 and you'll probably be able to cross it off your list, at your size.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Sorry to not be more clear Penforhire, but I didn't review my original comment for completeness.

Your memory is perfect and I would agree. However, I had spent many years learning the challenges of these cars and am pretty well equiped to handle them. Once I had learned the intricacies of the 1973 Spyder, all seemed great and little upkeep was needed. The downside of these cars is that they are complely underpowered, pushing just above 100HP. They are great to drive, but modern technology makes me yearn for the newer cars mentioned.

Thanks for your tip on the MR2 so I don't waste my time with this car.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm surprised that you didn't mention the Miata. It seems to be the modern convertible that most former Euro roadster owners flock to. Ever consider it?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Not sure why you are looking at the MR2. Probably less storage than the S2000 and certainly less performance. Hard to imagine someone in the market looking at the S2000 or the 350Z and really feeling that the MR2 is in the mix. I'd go Miata, Solstice, or Sky long before thinking of an MR2.

Of your list it should come down to the S2000 or 350Z. While I'd certainly prefer the S2000, I don't think anyone here could begrudge someone choosing the 350Z. At that point it is subjective and you'd need to drive both to make the decision.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM

If you want to buy a "new" convertible with enough room in the back for people or golf clubs, you may also want to look at the Mini Cooper Convertible.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM

With the golf clubs be careful. If you own a Ping Hoofer bag, or the quivalent size, you will not be able to fit two bags in the trunk. I've tried stuffing a hoofer and a moonbag (little more than a canvas satchel) and still no go.

But for me, that is the ONLY downfall the s2k has. YMMV.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks to all for their comments.

The list I provided was potential convertibles and I had not driven any of them yet. Your comments have already made things easier for me, as I will not waste my time driving the MR2.

I like the 350Z also, but since its Roadster introduction is rather recent I would be forced to spend more money than I would like. It is not out of the question though, but I would rather not spend $35K on such a car.

How about adding the Porsche Boxster to the list? I had stayed away from the Porsche brand, as repairs seem to be more expensive than for similar repairs for Japenese cars. The reason I have the Fiat Spyder in the group in only because I had owned and worked on one for nearly ten years. Other than that I would likely stay away from European cars. Does the Boxster have enough room in the trunk for two sets of golf clubs?

I grew up a Chevy or GM guy and although I like the look of the newer Mustangs, I would not get one. I think the 2008 Camaro will come out with a convertible option that looks great, but the price, depriciation, reliability and it not being easy to repair like in the 1960's all weigh against it.

Mazda was good to me for nearly ten years with their second generation RX-7. I think they abolished the convertible for their third and newer generation RX-7 and first generation RX-8. I would consider one of these cars if topless also, as I am a huge fan of the rotary engine. The Miata would be perfect but it doesn't have the rotary and likely wouldn't hold even one set of golf clubs.

Keep the comments and new options coming. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm in the same situation as you! My S2000 got stolen and in 1-2 weeks I'm going to have to decide on a new car.

You should take a look at a 2004-2005 MazdaSpeed Miata, they are selling for about 18 000$US with less than 5000 miles and under full warranty.

You have to ask yourself if you can live with a car that only has 2 seats. My suggestion is this: life is too short. If you have another car with 5 seats then use that one. If you want a sports car, get a sports car

But if you want to compromise I would suggest a Mini Cooper S convertible with John Cooper Works kit but that is extremely expensive for what you're getting.

If you don't mind a used car an E46 M3 convertible (2001-2002 model) is a great car and if you just want to cruise in it ;you won't feel the extra weight from the added stiffness compared to the coupe if you don't track it. (At least I didn't)

Currently I'd torn between a 2000-2001 Porsche Boxster S and a 2003 Honda S2000. One car has tremendous steering feel, the other has tremendous shifter feel. The 2000-2001 Boxster S only weighs 50 pounds more than the S2000 and have 75 pound-feet of torque more. Test drive one with the top down

I'm like you: I want a fun convertible that's realible.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife and I played hundreds of rounds of golf taking the S2000.

It was one of our requirements for a convertible. Fits two Callaway Daytripper Stand bags if you remove the drivers and put them in first. Then 69 the bags.

Honestly, it sounds like the S2000 would be perfect for you. Pick up a used model for $16k.

Quick Reply: Deciding on a convertible