Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

decided to give my S2000 a playmate

Old 08-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Also, psychoazn was arguing that the Primacy HPs have more grip than the RE-050s (or S-02s). That's why I quoted him in the first place...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Some overlap is hardly a leg to stand on. You're picking a few examples that MIGHT disagree with my general statement.
You said:
The purpose of that tire (low-rolling resistance) is, in and of itself, contradictory to a grippy tire.
I'm saying: "Not necessarily!" I only need one example to prove that point.

I've said a few times that ultimately, there will be different compromises in making a LRR tire vs. making a tire for maximum grip. But there are several areas where optimizing for the one is also somewhat optimizing for the other.

A good high-speed performance tire should generally have lowish rolling resistance as a consequence of being designed not to overheat in extreme usage.

My point is, the FR-S tires are NOT as grippy as max- or extreme-perf summer tires. That's all I said and it's all I meant, though I stand by the general principle that LRR tires will not be AS grippy or AS soft as max- or extreme-perf summer tires (in general).
I don't disagree that *in general*, tires designed to be LRR are not going to be as grippy as max- or extreme-perf summer tires. Because if you look at LRR tires, most of them are not designed for high performance, the same as most non-LRR tires are not designed for performance.
BUT, there are a bare few LRR tires in the max-performance category that *are* as grippy (at least in the ballpark) vs. other non-LRR max-perf tires.

Secondly, grippy rubber absolutely DOES resist the rolling of the tire. Softer rubber conforms to the road more, which increases friction. I don't expect your hands to catch the difference but in the absolute view, it does make a difference.
True, when the tire is soft/pliable enough to fill every nook/cranny in the tire/road interface, that should give more rolling resistance due to hysteresis. But for street use, I don't think this is as big a factor as it is often made out to be. Most super-grippy street tires undergo a kind of "phase change" when they heat up, where they get way WAY softer. Until that point, the rubber acts more like normal tires. A tire that is soft and pliable enough to make a major grip difference in normal driving is likely to come apart sooner when its temperature is elevated. Extreme and Max Perf tires I've used don't seem to have any softer tread at normal street-use operating temps than "normal" tires.

My point was that LRR = non-deforming was that low deformation is indicative of HIGH rolling resistance (all other things equal).
If low deformation is indicative of HIGH rolling resistance, why do we see low-deformation LOW rolling resistance runflat tires? Or did you mean to say that low deformation is indicative of LOW rolling resistance?

I wasn't saying that LRR means non-deforming, only that the latter is a characteristic of the former.
OK, I think I know what you *mean* here (unintentional misstatement above about "HIGH rolling resistance"?).

Kind of like Ferrari = fast. Ferrari doesn't mean fast but rather, fast is a characteristic of a Ferrari.
Gotcha (I think!). But still, I think that a compliant tire that can deform without sapping energy can also have low rolling resistance. For performance tires, though, definitely wanna be on the stiff side!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

It may be worth pointing out that the FR-S LRR tire option is apparently a much much grippier than its non-LRR tire option.

FR-S LRR tire
customer ratings for traction = 7.9/8.6 (wet/dry)

FR-S non-LRR tire
customer ratings for traction = 5.2/6.5 (wet/dry)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Also, psychoazn was arguing that the Primacy HPs have more grip than the RE-050s (or S-02s). That's why I quoted him in the first place...
They do. The RE050 and S02 are old, OLD compounds.

The real downfall is the tread squirm and the Primacy HP's lack of ability to cope with heat. Surprisingly, they resist chunking rather well, better than Z1SS in back-to-back comparisons.

That being said, would I buy them again? Nope. Too expensive. I'll buy fresh sets off of new FRS/BRZ owners that want to get rid of their oem tires though.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
oh! and congrats OP. Nice to see an Upstate owner get a BRZ. Be sure to make it out to a D&D in Buffalo the next time there is one. I'm sure people would love to see your FRS
D&D? what is that?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new purchase. Very sexy car in person. I never bothered comparing this car to the S2000. I always thought of it as a RWD RSX.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bloody Hatch
Congrats on your new purchase. Very sexy car in person. I never bothered comparing this car to the S2000. I always thought of it as a RWD RSX.

to me it honestly feels like an easier to drive s2k, i actually drove my S the other day and(well for one felt like a giant in it) felt at home, other than the clutch on the S being 100X harder to push. to me the frs(with everything turned off) is just an S that isn't trying to kill me
Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by skurge
to me it honestly feels like an easier to drive s2k, i actually drove my S the other day and(well for one felt like a giant in it) felt at home, other than the clutch on the S being 100X harder to push. to me the frs(with everything turned off) is just an S that isn't trying to kill me
But that's the best part about the S
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by FurY
Originally Posted by skurge' timestamp='1377701996' post='22749201
But that's the best part about the S

oh dont get me wrong, i love that about the S, it forces you to be involved, I took the S for a ride the other day, hit a few roundabouts, at the same speed at i take it in the FRS, the S2K just feels a little more planted, even when the rear slides a little. when the S slides, it feels like you still have grip, when the FRS slides, it feels like your back wheels are on ice