Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

decided to give my S2000 a playmate

Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i find it funny that the thing people keep bringing up are the tires, like anyone has stock tires on their S2000

i think i should sell my S2K because it came with tires i didn't want, yea that makes sense
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

Love the way these cars look, especially with a few tasteful mods.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Everyone seems to forget that the prius tires on the FR-S/BRZ are the optional equipment tires (on the Prius).

Say they're shitty all you want. They're less than 1.5 seconds slower on a 2 minute track than Hankook RS3s. In other words, they have more grip than the OEM s2000 tires.

Tire tech has come a long way...

@ZDan: difference in MPG, in my experience, is ~26 average on Z1SS/RPF1 vs ~35 on OEM tires/rims. It's a pretty substantial difference.
You're claiming the Prius optional tires have more grip than the RE-050s (or Bridgestone Potenza S-01s) on the S2000? As in, if you put them on an S2000, they'll offer more grip?

You're actually claiming that Michelin's GRAND TOURING all-season tire has more grip than a max-performance summer tire? C'mon, man. On the same car, they're nowhere near as grippy.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...transformation

In other words, on that 1.5 minute track, they dropped 2.3 seconds by moving to a max-perf summer tire. There's no way the Michelin GT tire is nearly as grippy as a decent (not to mention, excellent) performance summer tire.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 AM

again, who cares about what tires are on the car from the factory, IMO, the stock tires grip a hell of a lot more than i thought they would
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1376438773' post='22722740
Everyone seems to forget that the prius tires on the FR-S/BRZ are the optional equipment tires (on the Prius).

Say they're shitty all you want. They're less than 1.5 seconds slower on a 2 minute track than Hankook RS3s. In other words, they have more grip than the OEM s2000 tires.

Tire tech has come a long way...

@ZDan: difference in MPG, in my experience, is ~26 average on Z1SS/RPF1 vs ~35 on OEM tires/rims. It's a pretty substantial difference.
You're claiming the Prius optional tires have more grip than the RE-050s (or Bridgestone Potenza S-01s) on the S2000? As in, if you put them on an S2000, they'll offer more grip?

You're actually claiming that Michelin's GRAND TOURING all-season tire has more grip than a max-performance summer tire? C'mon, man. On the same car, they're nowhere near as grippy.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...transformation

In other words, on that 1.5 minute track, they dropped 2.3 seconds by moving to a max-perf summer tire. There's no way the Michelin GT tire is nearly as grippy as a decent (not to mention, excellent) performance summer tire.
Come on JonBoy, you're better than that. The stock FRZ tires are GRAND TOURING SUMMER TIRES. They are not all season tires. Given that psychoazn has done more driving of both cars at the track than the rest of us combined, I think his word is good enough.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
And the Gunma factory is no where near its production capacity limit. They just aren't selling. Very likely because the FR-S is attempting to be a halo car for an afterthought brand who's whole purpose was to increase volume by appealing to the very "entry level" market. And in that respect, this car doesn't fit. If you noticed, the BRZ isn't having the same issue...
You may not have noticed this, but the FR-S is now Scion's best selling car by a wide margin. Over 25,000 a year. Meanwhile the BRZ is creeping along at around 4,000 a year. Subaru's supply is more limited than Scion (Toyota)'s due to their production agreement. For every 10 cars built 9 are Toyotas/Scions and just 1 is a Subaru.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You're actually claiming that Michelin's GRAND TOURING all-season tire has more grip than a max-performance summer tire?
The FR-S/BRZ Michelins are SUMMER tires, not all-seasons.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd never let tires have much influence into a car buying decision. They're CONSUMABLES, for Christ's sake! What next, are y'all going to be dissing the car b/c you don't like the oil or brake fluid that it comes with?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S
I'd never let tires have much influence into a car buying decision. They're CONSUMABLES, for Christ's sake! What next, are y'all going to be dissing the car b/c you don't like the oil or brake fluid that it comes with?
Sometimes I think people just like being difficult.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1376438773' post='22722740
Some might buy into that rationalization, but I refuse to. Optional or not, a corner was cut to save cost...

"Oh we need tires? Shoot, we don't want to raise the cost of building the car too much...let's see what we have left in the Prius parts bin..."
Its not as simple as that. R&D guys that build the car develop parameters that a tire should meet for treadwear, grip, economy etc. and then send a proposal out to tire manufacturers. Every tire received, is tested and the one that represents the best value is then installed on the car.

It is why the Civic Si comes equipped with Michelin all seasons but also includes options for a summer tire and larger wheel & tire options.

They did not just pick the tire from the parts bin as an after thought. I'm pretty sure it was given considerable thought and the best tire that would suit the needs of 90% of the buyers selected.

For a "crappy hybrid" tire you should know they cost more than a performance tire like the RS-3 because they are engineered for low-rolling resistance. It is also that feature of the tire that makes it easy and a joy to get the tail out from TTO.

Quick Reply: decided to give my S2000 a playmate