Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

decided to give my S2000 a playmate

Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1376369850' post='22721196
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1376283420' post='22719062']
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1376265318' post='22718758']
Sounds fun! Still think the car should've been branded by Toyota as the Celica to bring the name back and have some lineage behind it. Still an awesome little car. Don't think anything since the first gen Miata has gotten as much hype as the BRZ/FR-S.
They're trying to associate it w/ the AE86 Corolla, not the Celica.
Understood. A car very few people (especially my age) even know exist. I bet it would double the current sales volume if it would've been labeled Celica. The Celica started F/R, so it wouldn't be posing either
[/quote]

The rwd Celica wasn't that great a car from an enthusiasts' perspective; I know, b/c I had one in college. The AE86 was much more engaging. Regardless, sales are capped by production capacity, not demand.
[/quote]

And the Gunma factory is no where near its production capacity limit. They just aren't selling. Very likely because the FR-S is attempting to be a halo car for an afterthought brand who's whole purpose was to increase volume by appealing to the very "entry level" market. And in that respect, this car doesn't fit. If you noticed, the BRZ isn't having the same issue...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
I understand they're cashing in on AE86 "heritage", but the FR-S definitely is more of a modern take on the 80s rwd Celica than on the AE86 in terms of size/weight/styling.
But what it *really* is is a brand new S13 240SX. EXCELLENT!

+1
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1376283420' post='22719062
Sounds fun! Still think the car should've been branded by Toyota as the Celica to bring the name back and have some lineage behind it. Still an awesome little car. Don't think anything since the first gen Miata has gotten as much hype as the BRZ/FR-S.
Understood. A car very few people (especially my age) even know exist. I bet it would double the current sales volume if it would've been labeled Celica. The Celica started F/R, so it wouldn't be posing either
[/quote]

I disagree largely with this sentiment. While the Celica was a good car, its last few generations were FF. This new car is very much different than the old ones. I am glad they gave it a different name. How could a name "double" sales, especially the Celica name. Definitely not a panty dropper there.

Congrats on the new ride OP. Wear it well, I wish I could have seen an orange one when I test drove them, the color looked terrible on the corolla they had there...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1376369850' post='22721196
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1376283420' post='22719062']
[/quote]

I disagree largely with this sentiment. While the Celica was a good car, its last few generations were FF. This new car is very much different than the old ones. I am glad they gave it a different name. How could a name "double" sales, especially the Celica name. Definitely not a panty dropper there.

Congrats on the new ride OP. Wear it well, I wish I could have seen an orange one when I test drove them, the color looked terrible on the corolla they had there...
[/quote]

ya know, in pictures and brocures, the color is not done justice, in person, in the sun, its amazing imo, maybe i'm crazy though haha

i agree, naming it the celica would have been a stupid choice
Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gigdy
I was hoping for pictures of a playmate on an S.
Ditto
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
I understand they're cashing in on AE86 "heritage", but the FR-S definitely is more of a modern take on the 80s rwd Celica than on the AE86 in terms of size/weight/styling.
But what it *really* is is a brand new S13 240SX. EXCELLENT!
YES
Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
As hard as I try, I just can't like these cars. Yeah, I'll admit that the segment of car design the FR-S/BR-Z is in doesn't have much else to offer - but it is incredibly slow for a 'fun' car to drive. And I just can't take a car seriously that comes with the same tires as a Prius mounted from the factory.

The car looks good, but I will never see this design as anything more than a half-ass attempt at building a S2000.
Saying that this car is not fun to drive is like saying that the USDM Integra Type R isn't fun to drive. Power is basically the same and the weight is pretty damn close (2,639lbs vs. 2,758lbs). Yes, the twins weigh a little more, but their quarter mile times are near spot on to one another. Skidpad figures are also just about the same (FR-S: .89 vs. ITR: .91). Just about everyone here will agree (at least the ones that have actually driven one) that the ITR is a very enjoyable car to drive. 'Slow' cars are fun to drive quickly. Prius tires from the factory? Big deal. Eventually the factory tires will wear down and then you can replace them with what you see as appropriate tires that will only improve the already adequate performance figures.

Personally I feel as though people need to stop comparing this car to the S2000. It's like going to see a Fast and Furious movie expecting something academy award worthy. Go in and look at the car as a 'cheap', RWD, 6-speed manual, LSD equipped, (relatively)high revving fun car just as you go into Fast and Furious expecting an action flick and nothing more. You'll come out the other end with a smile on your face. Tack on the fact that the car is perfectly fine for daily duties, the aftermarket industry has taken it under its wing in a huge way already, and you are left with a car that is a great choice for just about any car enthusiast.

These particular cars are obviously not for everyone, but looking at the bigger picture it thrills me to death that auto manufacturers are still willing to offer something like this. These cars are selling relatively well which will hopefully encourage other manufacturers to follow suit with an iteration of their own. I have nothing but praise for these cars.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said!
Originally Posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1376401998' post='22721595
As hard as I try, I just can't like these cars. Yeah, I'll admit that the segment of car design the FR-S/BR-Z is in doesn't have much else to offer - but it is incredibly slow for a 'fun' car to drive. And I just can't take a car seriously that comes with the same tires as a Prius mounted from the factory.

The car looks good, but I will never see this design as anything more than a half-ass attempt at building a S2000.
Saying that this car is not fun to drive is like saying that the USDM Integra Type R isn't fun to drive. Power is basically the same and the weight is pretty damn close (2,639lbs vs. 2,758lbs). Yes, the twins weigh a little more, but their quarter mile times are near spot on to one another. Skidpad figures are also just about the same (FR-S: .89 vs. ITR: .91). Just about everyone here will agree (at least the ones that have actually driven one) that the ITR is a very enjoyable car to drive. 'Slow' cars are fun to drive quickly. Prius tires from the factory? Big deal. Eventually the factory tires will wear down and then you can replace them with what you see as appropriate tires that will only improve the already adequate performance figures.

Personally I feel as though people need to stop comparing this car to the S2000. It's like going to see a Fast and Furious movie expecting something academy award worthy. Go in and look at the car as a 'cheap', RWD, 6-speed manual, LSD equipped, (relatively)high revving fun car just as you go into Fast and Furious expecting an action flick and nothing more. You'll come out the other end with a smile on your face. Tack on the fact that the car is perfectly fine for daily duties, the aftermarket industry has taken it under its wing in a huge way already, and you are left with a car that is a great choice for just about any car enthusiast.

These particular cars are obviously not for everyone, but looking at the bigger picture it thrills me to death that auto manufacturers are still willing to offer something like this. These cars are selling relatively well which will hopefully encourage other manufacturers to follow suit with an iteration of their own. I have nothing but praise for these cars.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
...but it is incredibly slow for a 'fun' car to drive.
Saying that this car is not fun to drive is like saying that the USDM Integra Type R isn't fun to drive.

Where did I say it's not fun to drive?

Prius tires from the factory? Big deal. Eventually the factory tires will wear down and then you can replace them with what you see as appropriate tires that will only improve the already adequate performance figures.
Big deal? It's supposed to be a sports car - hence turn well, hence you need grip, hence factory mounted hybrid/economy car tires are a joke, hence why I said the car is a half-ass attempt at a S2000.

I will be the first to admit that the S2000 isn't the holy grail of sports cars. However, the hype the FR-S and BR-Z have gotten is pretty excessive considering how many glaring faults it has.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Just did a quick look at Tire Rack. There is exactly ONE 215/45-17 summer tire that is rated as low rolling resistance, and that is the tire the FR-S/BRZ comes on (unless you're unlucky and get the truly craptastic Bridgestone Turanzas). If the ~1mpg (or whatever) fuel economy bump helped make this car happen, I'm all for it. Grippier tires would be lost on most of the buyers anyway, just as they were on most S2000 buyers. Truly not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: decided to give my S2000 a playmate