Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dear Honda: You Need To Make Great Cars Again

Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dear Honda: You Need To Make Great Cars Again

I know its been brought up before but when are we going to get our revival, Honda?!

http://jalopnik.com/dear-honda-you-n...gain-249766885
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Cool read. I enjoyed it.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amen
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

What are you talking about, honda still makes cars people care about it, the proof is in the sales data. You guys need to stop being nostalgic and get with the times, these cars are still fun and well built. Honda is just fine. Cue Jonboy.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
What are you talking about, honda still makes cars people care about it, the proof is in the sales data. You guys need to stop being nostalgic and get with the times, these cars are still fun and well built. Honda is just fine. Cue Jonboy.
I must've looked at the screen name four or five times while reading this until I got to the end...
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM

I remember when I was 16 driving an EG civic. Well, one day we had to visit a Honda dealership for an antenna because mine went out. While there I remember laying eyes on a 2000 s2000 for the first time and thinking my GOD what a beautiful thing. From that moment I knew I would own that car someday.

These days Honda has nothing remotely close to pushing my buttons.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Grady
I remember when I was 16 driving an EG civic. Well, one day we had to visit a Honda dealership for an antenna because mine went out. While there I remember laying eyes on a 2000 s2000 for the first time and thinking my GOD what a beautiful thing. From that moment I knew I would own that car someday.

These days Honda has nothing remotely close to pushing my buttons.
This
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Asia and most cars I saw were Hondas and Toyotas, mostly Civics and Corollas and their smaller versions City and Vios. They are not Toyota but it doesn't hurt to cater to the rest of the world that just needs "good" reliable cars and make money doing so. I think we are in the minority wanting fun to drive cars. My 09 Pilot is surprisingly fun too drive for a big a$$ SUV since it handles quite well
Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperpm
I went to Asia and most cars I saw were Hondas and Toyotas, mostly Civics and Corollas and their smaller versions City and Vios. They are not Toyota but it doesn't hurt to cater to the rest of the world that just needs "good" reliable cars and make money doing so. I think we are in the minority wanting fun to drive cars. My 09 Pilot is surprisingly fun too drive for a big a$$ SUV since it handles quite well
I don't think anyone is going to argue the fact that Honda, and any car manufacturer today, needs to make good entry level cars. No one, with the exception of high priced exotic companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini, are going to be succesful in selling only cars that enthusiasts love. But what Honda used to do was make great entry level cars that were fun to drive, as well as great sports cars that defined and lead the segment.

These days Honda has only one (if you want to call it that) sporty car in their lineup (Civic Si) and one on the horizon (NSX) but nothing else. The S2000 went away 4 years ago and was never replaced, the NSX also went away and its successor has long been delayed and overdue. Every other major car company has at least 3 sporty/enthusiasts cars in their lineup... and its understood that while these cars are not huge moneymakers, they define the brand and make people excited about your company. There is nothing "exciting" about Honda as it exists today.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
You guys need to stop being nostalgic and get with the times...
I agree - stop being nostalgic - plenty of great cars out there from other manufacturers - stop waiting around for Honda and get outside into the daylight.

The world has moved on, and Honda of the past is no more. Hyundai and Kia are now on the scene with new fun cars. Ford is making great cars for the first time in a generation. GM has some interesting cars in its lineup. Even Dodge has the Dart, which is getting great reviews.

Subaru is making great cars as always, and now even the German makes have a good selection of sub $30k cars to choose from across all makes, not just VW.

Even Toyota is making fun cars again. Honda is the new "old" Toyota, bland but dependable, like warm water. The issue is, Honda doesn't want to be a fun car company, it wants to be a green car company. Honda has changed what it is, but if you like what it was, you can find it elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Dear Honda: You Need To Make Great Cars Again