Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are dealers suppose to give out Carfax for any of their vehicles?

Old 10-12-2003, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are dealers suppose to give out Carfax for any of their vehicles?

I went looking with my gf for some cars and she really likes the MR2 Spyder. The dealer said they didn't have a carfax available to give to her. I thought dealers are suppose to have those readily available to give out to potential buyers. Anyone can clear this up for me? Thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 04:19 PM

I don't think there is any req't that they do. Mine didn't. But some do offer it gratis. Get it checked out by a professional mechanic either way. Nice car, good luck!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:40 PM

Dealerships aren't supposed to provide Carfax reports, but some do as a courtesy for potential buyers.

But I would still get the car checked out by your mechanic anyway. Just to be safe.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a car dealer - there is no written law about providing Carfax's. Most dealers do it as a courtesy. We used to have an outside company come around to take pictures (for the Internet), print window stickers, and provide us with information about the car via Carfax. We certified the car passed a clean Carfax as per what we were told - we now provide them to anyone who asks, but I have seen some cars that showed clean Carfax's but were wrecked! In fact, I totaled my old Prelude but did not claim it under my insurance at the request of the person who bought the wreck from me - the car is still clean under Carfax and the guy put the car back together and is now racing it - he may sell it one day and it will still have a clean Carfax!

You can't trust it all the time - you need to know how to visibly inspect a car for flood, accident, paintwork, bondo, and anything else I can't think of at this moment. I don't mind giving you a few tips if you want to PM me.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In response to the part about having your mechanic look at it - be careful there too. Make friends with someone in a body shop - mechanics can tell you if the engine was underwater at one time and the kind of shape the motor is in, but most mechanics I know can't see past a $500 paint job!