Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dead - ICE Cayman, Boxster, and Macan

Old 07-16-2024, 05:47 AM

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Those testing issue are old news.

This is the latest
https://www.volkswagen-group.com/en/...nce-test-18031

Key test results:
The U.S. company QuantumScape has recently reached an important milestone, which was now confirmed by PowerCo: its solid-state cell has significantly exceeded the requirements in the A-sample test and successfully completed more than 1,000 charging cycles. For an electric car with a WLTP range of 500-600 kilometres, this corresponds to a total mileage of more than half a million kilometres. At the same time, the cell barely aged and still had 95 percent of its capacity (or discharge energy retention) at the end of the test. The tests, which ran for several months, were carried out in PowerCo's battery laboratories in Salzgitter

Specifics on the mfg. deal agreement to industrialize the QS SSBs:
https://www.fastmarkets.com/insights...ate-batteries/

Probably still 2-3yrs away before we see them in commercial vehicles, but I don't think they would have made such an announcement if there wasn't some more substantial data to demonstrate proof of commercial scalability (not just concept). FWIW - the Chinese will likely be first to market. The company IM Motors just launched the IM L6 in May with a semi-solid-state battery (not sure the differences between semi-SSB and just SSB).

Regarding V-8s... agree with TheDon - Mustangs, Chargers, and Challengers just annoy me now - even if they aren't driving around being douches. The unnecessary loudness of it is irritating. All of the artificial pops and crackles tuned into modern BMWs is also equally annoying.
The issues haven't gone away, to the best of my knowledge. What has been detailed here is not new. SSBs have been able to do this for a while. The problem popped up when they moved to MECHANICAL testing, where the battery actually sees mechanical loads applied in varying ways.

I'm not saying QS hasn't solved the issue. I'm saying that they haven't said they've solved the issue because they haven't addressed the issue. They're touting their electrical performance but we've had batteries that had similar performance for a while now (in a development environment) but real-world testing in an actual chassis, with mechanical loading, is where the challenges were realized. I'll be curious to see if they actually do commercialize this in the next few years.

To put it in perspective, Toyota and others announced similar results in the last five years and not a single one of them is commercialized yet with their SSBs. Think about that! The link I shared in my earlier post was from 1.5 years ago and they were still in RESEARCH at that point. Going from research to try and understand the problem and its mechanisms, to producing a solution, to proving a solution, to fully scaling a solution, takes years (literally). Automotive testing is some of the most rigorous out there and they know that if they get it wrong, they'll go into bankruptcy under the liability of replacing these batteries under warranty. Again, I'm not saying they haven't done it, just saying that it's unlikely they've actually solved the issue with a cost-effective solution and it is commercially ready.

My interpretation is that VW is using this investment to buy the right to use this technology, should it prove itself. $130MM is chump change for VW and way cheaper than doing the work themselves. This is a business move, pure and simple, to access a PROMISING technology, not a COMMERCIALLY READY technology. Happens all the time!
The following users liked this post:
TheDonEffect (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 04:55 PM

Received 3,718 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
It is sad news indeed. But even the headline from Porsche is a bit misleading. Production of Cayman to end with MY2025. Sounds like there's plenty of time left right? 6 months left (roughly) in 2024 and then an entire 12 months of 2025.

Sadly the truth is if you walk into a Porsche dealership TODAY and attempt to order a 718 built to your preferences they will tell you it's too late. You can buy existing inventory, but the books for ordering something new are already CLOSED (forever).

I'm starting to wonder if the people making these decisions high up in the Corporate structure have ever driven a Porsche and heard and felt the mechanical goodness ? is it possible that they never have driven their best products ?
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 05:30 PM

Received 354 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
VW is just constructing a 2 million sq ft EV battery plant 1 km from my home, I suspect it may have a very early death, by the time it is ready to open they will have new technologies
yes- the neighbours in the area of St. Thomas are not entirely pleased with this development- more traffic, higher home prices. I fear this will be another power plant fiasco by the Ontario government where they have to pay out the contract, whether it's completed or not. Oh, and it's our tax dollars being used to buy the land for this battery plant at inflated MF prices.

darcy
Old 07-16-2024, 09:17 PM

Received 610 Likes on 426 Posts

Not doubting that the challenges still exist with SSBs. Semi solid state (S-SSB) as a stepping stone.

IM L6 has launched with it as an option. Base models being delivered now, the S-SSB available in Sept of this year. Chinese battery tech far outpaces anyone else, let's see how this does internationally, and how soon for them to come out with an SSB.

https://carnewschina.com/2024/05/13/...-at-30400-usd/
Old 07-17-2024, 04:23 AM

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts

Vinfast has cleared hundreds (thousands?) of acres of wooded land to build a production facility in Moncure, NC (about 30 minutes away from me). Vinfast has been on shaky ground...forever. I fear that this factory will never be built, and all that will remain is the destroyed (former) forest land.
Old 07-20-2024, 07:12 AM

Received 3,718 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Vinfast has cleared hundreds (thousands?) of acres of wooded land to build a production facility in Moncure, NC (about 30 minutes away from me). Vinfast has been on shaky ground...forever. I fear that this factory will never be built, and all that will remain is the destroyed (former) forest land.
Yeah the current production numbers of some of the smaller companies are really low, I can't imagine how they can be competitive. They are surely banking on a significant uptick in demand, I don't know if that is enough.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:08 AM

Received 436 Likes on 306 Posts

Wow. Sad. The reviews for the Fisker products were outright worship compared to what was written about Vinfast products. You would need to be crazy to buy one.