Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dead - ICE Cayman, Boxster, and Macan

Old 07-10-2024, 12:03 PM

Received 589 Likes on 416 Posts
Default Dead - ICE Cayman, Boxster, and Macan

News from earlier in the week, but confirmed that Porsche is sticking with its EV transition plans. Production for the ICE models of the Cayman & Boxster ends in 2025 and Macan in 2026. All three are already gone in the EU.

https://www.motor1.com/features/7259...-risk-opinion/

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/07/po...low-ev-demand/
Old 07-10-2024, 01:20 PM

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

End of an era!
Old 07-10-2024, 02:03 PM

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts

They said it last year that the current Cayman would be the last non-hybrid model. They just finally put a date with it. Nothing new.
Old 07-10-2024, 03:47 PM

Received 210 Likes on 145 Posts

Used car values just shot up 25%!
Old 07-10-2024, 07:24 PM

Received 348 Likes on 283 Posts

It surprises me yet, that major manufacturers are doubling down on pushing forward with electrification. It's just like Star Wars episodes I-III where it seems all the production people were "yes" men and women and afraid to tell the director that jar jar binks was a stupid idea. Exclusively electrifying the automotive fleet is the Jar Jar Binks of the automotive world.

darcy

The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (07-16-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 09:09 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Let’s see how macan EV does
Old 07-11-2024, 03:45 AM

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
It surprises me yet, that major manufacturers are doubling down on pushing forward with electrification. It's just like Star Wars episodes I-III where it seems all the production people were "yes" men and women and afraid to tell the director that jar jar binks was a stupid idea. Exclusively electrifying the automotive fleet is the Jar Jar Binks of the automotive world.

darcy
They aren't doubling down on it. Multiple OEMs have laid out plans to slow the transition to EVs, some over decades (rather than just a few years), and have also announced new plans to continue ICE development and research. Why? The EV sales aren't there, the profits aren't there, and the infrastructure isn't there. The market demand has flattened, which increases competition for remaining customers, driving down sales and margins.

No one, except Tesla, is making money on EVs in North America right now, and Tesla's profit margins are shrinking. They haven't put out a truly new vehicle of significance since the Model Y, in 2020, instead choosing to update existing vehicle platforms to maximize profits. The Model S is 12 years old (!), the Model X is 9 years old, the Model 3 is 7 years old and the Model Y is 4 years old. Yes, they released the Cybertruck in late 2023 but it's been a botched release from day 1, has low sales, is suffering from numerous recalls, and is currently a drag on their bottom line and will (in my opinion) end up as a net liability in the long run. What an insanely stupid vehicle to produce, given the age of your existing lineup. It's the wrong answer to a question no one asked.
The following 2 users liked this post by JonBoy:
vader1 (07-11-2024), WolfpackS2k (07-16-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 11:21 AM

Received 508 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
They aren't doubling down on it. Multiple OEMs have laid out plans to slow the transition to EVs, some over decades (rather than just a few years), and have also announced new plans to continue ICE development and research. Why? The EV sales aren't there, the profits aren't there, and the infrastructure isn't there. The market demand has flattened, which increases competition for remaining customers, driving down sales and margins.

No one, except Tesla, is making money on EVs in North America right now, and Tesla's profit margins are shrinking. They haven't put out a truly new vehicle of significance since the Model Y, in 2020, instead choosing to update existing vehicle platforms to maximize profits. The Model S is 12 years old (!), the Model X is 9 years old, the Model 3 is 7 years old and the Model Y is 4 years old. Yes, they released the Cybertruck in late 2023 but it's been a botched release from day 1, has low sales, is suffering from numerous recalls, and is currently a drag on their bottom line and will (in my opinion) end up as a net liability in the long run. What an insanely stupid vehicle to produce, given the age of your existing lineup. It's the wrong answer to a question no one asked.

Agreed with everything you said, but what @darcyw is pointing to is Porsche is clearly committing to electrification by axing ICE in their most popular models, stupidly, and Porsche isn't quite alone in this respect. Like the Jar Jar Binks metaphor, let's not forget that this trend was pioneered, besides Tesla, by VW who set the arbitrary date of, what was it, 2033? And since Porsche falls under that umbrella, this is not surprising. I think the companies that largely fought pure electrification (Toyota) just seem to have a louder voice these days, much like people speaking against woke.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:50 PM

Received 436 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Used car values just shot up 25%!

Well I guess I have two dinosaurs then. I think I bought my 981 at reasonable rates 8 years ago and prices have fluctuated up and down, but I can get pretty close to what I paid for it back then. Maybe a bit more because mine has about 30,000 miles on it at 10 years old. This will only make the value go up.

I do think that since they introduced the 718's with the four cylinder engines (which sound like crap but are quite good powerplants) there was an outcry and they brought the flat six back. I don't know how they would do it, but if the electric Cayman's sell well and then fizzle, it would not surprise me if they brought some form of sub-911 gas powered car back down the road.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:54 PM

Received 436 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeD
Let’s see how macan EV does

That is a tough one because people with money will rush out to get the newest thing, but prices are set to go up dramatically for base and upper trims. Like $20k. I see that as a very hard sell. The vast majority on the Macan forums are not excited about the EV's at all if that is any indication.

The 4 cylinder models were the highest volume car and I really like them although they are underpowered. People said, "I can buy this suv for $50k or I can stretch another $10k and say I have a Porsche." I think the brand snobbery is what moved a lot of those units even though they do deliver a lot as a vehicle even if value is poor. Now they will not be $60k for entry price, but $80k and the next level up will be $100k. That stinks of flop sweat. Ask Jeep how the Grand Wagoneer is doing at $90k.

Last edited by vader1; 07-11-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dead - ICE Cayman, Boxster, and Macan