Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DD vs Spirited Driving -- American or Japanese?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When pitting "Traditional American car drivers" against the Japanese like in the OP it's bigotry, but this is a car forum and I adjusted my language accordingly even if it makes it somewhat semantically incorrect. He understood what I was saying. That's all that matters.

However, this is not really the place for this discussion so I'm dropping it after this; I just wanted to let him know that his post has some really negative vibes in it for people who don't subscribe to his point of view.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP,

There is probably something to the right hand vs left hand thing. When I was learning to fly I constantly wanted to control the yoke with my right hand. The instructor had to remind me to put my right hand on the throttle and "steer" with the left. Not something I found very natural.

In cars I think it's pretty much keep both hands on the wheel unless you are shifting. However, if you are drag racing then shifting happens often and is important.

When you aren't performance driving it is almost OK to keep your hand on the shifter. There are several reasons to not have your hand on the shifter. One is the idea that you have better steering control with both hands on the wheel. This is likely true but not really important in many driving instances. Another reason is that leaving your hand on the shifter can damage the gearbox. Well that can happen if you put a force on the shifter. If you are constantly putting a load on the shifter you can cause the shift forks to push on the shift collars which will cause wear. That's not a good thing. However, you can also hold the shifter such that you aren't loading the shift forks. In the end it's easier to say "don't do it" than say it's "OK so long as you don't..."
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM

tbh, I agree. Although to a degree you can stereotype (I think the OP is stereotyping, rather than guilty of bigotry, but meh, symantics). Having said that, the 'typical american car driver' is a lot better, in terms of awareness, courtesy and technique than the average greek driver, whereas in the UK, we're a little better still, and in Finland, they got us all beat, all licensed Finnish drivers can do a rally course. The simple fact is, lazy untaught workaday drivers are not good enough to drive an S 'spiritedly' anyway whatever nation they are from.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM

just driving i usualy just hold left on 7 and right on 5 pretty weird when you actualy think about it
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM

I'm also curious if anyone has seen those Z shift patterns to make shifting slightly faster from second to third when cars still had 4 gears.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by foxy_s2k,Mar 18 2009, 11:32 PM
tbh, I agree. Although to a degree you can stereotype (I think the OP is stereotyping, rather than guilty of bigotry, but meh, symantics). Having said that, the 'typical american car driver' is a lot better, in terms of awareness, courtesy and technique than the average greek driver, whereas in the UK, we're ahead of both of you, and in Finland, they got us all beat, all licensed Finnish drivers can do a rally course. The simple fact is, lazy untaught workaday drivers are not good enough to drive an S 'spiritedly' anyway.
I am from Finland, done the license, done the fun'n'games on the ice and gravel, but methinks you are still joking, or?

All nationalities have good and bad drivers and whatever we represent we think we are the best (e.g. I think the Finns are the best because we have more WRC world champions than any other nation and a few F1 champs from a very small population...).

Imho is driving ability is not based on nationality or ethnicity.

Anyway, holding one hand on steering wheel does not a good driver make...

For an example of what to do with your hands while driving 'spritedly' click here. (see 1:41). That driver is from Finland and is now a member of the EU parliament.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm absolutely serious, sure all nations have their good and bad, but some have more good, and some have more bad. Come to greece. You'll see.

By the way, I noticed my post was missing a key point, which I have now added, right on to the end of the rest of the post... '...whatever nation they are from.'
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM

When just driveing around the city i have one hand beside the shifter and the other one the wheel. On the track, both hands on the wheel as much as possible.

Every time you get in a car your not in a race, so why act like it. Do whats comfortable around town and do what works at the track..
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Go study.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STOPpre,Mar 18 2009, 08:39 AM
.....If I'm really driving though (entering vtech) .....
If I'm entering (numbers on a) Vtech, I only use my righthand

Quick Reply: DD vs Spirited Driving -- American or Japanese?