Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DD choices Si sedan or...?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DD choices Si sedan or...?

So this year I'm looking to sell my EG si h/b and replace it with a different DD.

I goto work ~4/wk, which is about 35 mi each way, sometimes through some sucky traffic (SoCal), but the worst weather is rain. Orig I've been thinking about the Si sedan, but while drivingto work today saw a Lexus IS 300 and started me thinking -

Are there other cars I should consider in the high teens/low 20's market? used TSX or IS300? Only downside I can see to those is less time on the warranty. No BMWs - my wife has 330i sedan already. Looking for reliability, 4 doors, kinda sporty, good gas mileage (hence Si sedan).

Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I was in the same predicament last summer. I chose the Si Sedan. You can easily get one at invoice or right over if you don't have to have the Navi system. (I put my own in which has much more features).

The Si Sedan is a good choice because the Type R version in Japan is based on the sedan platform which means solid aftermarket support if you are into that. Honda also offers HFP (honda factory perf.) parts in the US. A lot of them are shit but the HFP suspension is worth the dough and is covered under warranty providing your dealer signs off on the install.

I'm averaging 28-29 MPG with daily trips into VTEC. It's a good car for a DD. The stock stereo isn't bad, it handles well, and it's relatively light.
I bought the 4 door because I needed the extra doors for my dog. If you don't need 4 doors I would suggest a nice, low mileage RSX Type S. It doesn't have the LSD that the Si does, but it has a cable instead of DBW. I owned a 2002 model but the preferable model would be the MMC model that got a slight bump in power (2005/2006). Either would do the deal. When I was shopping I looked at getting another RSX but prices were the same used as a new Si Sedan and I knew the 4 doors would come in handy once I bought my hound. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks Tommy! That answers some questions for me. I think 4 doors will be useful, esp since I already have the S.

How is the handling as a FWD? Suspension ok for long hauls (sometimes I feel kinda beat getting out of the S after 2 hrs), but nice in the corners? I think that's the balance I'm trying to find.

How much does the HFP suspension cost?

Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Looking for a 4-door, I presume?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/12/vw-anno...ion-jetta-2-0t/
Has the same great 2.0T engine from the GTI/GLI, but without all of the other small things so you could probably get it for about $20k even.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM

id go with si sedan, handling seems pretty good for fwd
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, these new civics have really cool interiors...atleast to me.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:26 PM

wolfsburg jetta! I remember those...

I'm still leaning towards the Si sedan, but I gotta say the IS300 looks nice too - somehow tho the civic seems more practical?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MazdaSpeed 3? Quick and even more practical.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM

si sedan, but the ride is pretty firm especially if u have to drive on crappy roads

if u want something really economical & practical, u can pick up a barely used, loaded 06-07 hyundai sonata for $11-13k.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by psychophd,Feb 14 2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks Tommy! That answers some questions for me. I think 4 doors will be useful, esp since I already have the S.

How is the handling as a FWD? Suspension ok for long hauls (sometimes I feel kinda beat getting out of the S after 2 hrs), but nice in the corners? I think that's the balance I'm trying to find.

How much does the HFP suspension cost?

Thanks again!
Handling is good. The car weighs less than 3000 lbs and you can feel, when driving it, that it's relatively light on its' feet. For long hauls it is great. I've driven it 200 miles in one sitting and back the next day before. It handles well but it's not freeway cruiser. The stock suspension is more biased for handing than it is freeway cruising, but it does both quite well. You will feel bumps in the road as the suspension is a little on the stiff side but it will be quite plush to you coming from the S2000. It's not soft though, kind of hard to quantify, you need to drive one for yourself to get it. It won't beat you up at all.

HFP suspension is about $600 but if you hunt around I'm sure you could get it in the $500 range. If Honda installs it, it's covered under warranty, in fact any of the HFP stuff is covered under warranty if they install it or you have a good relationship with your dealer and DIY.

Best thing is they have financing deals going right now for all Civics if you need to finance. It all depends on where you live but I've seen .9%, 1.9% (36 months) and 2.9% for up to 60 months.

Quick Reply: DD choices Si sedan or...?