Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Datsun... Remember them? (pics)

Old 06-01-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember Datsun with fond memories, since my first sports car was a 1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster. The Fairlady was the same car, but was sold overseas. I had a lot of fun with that car, but I also remember all 23 of the hose clamps under the hood that leaked coolant. I also recall how much fun it was to synchronize the two SU sidedraft carbs and how the snow blew in under the top in the winter. The rain that dripped on my left knee when it came down hard while driving on the highway. I also remember how nice it was to drive around with the top down. I had a tonneau cover that snapped on the car that had a zipper down the middle. I usually drove the car with the cover on it and the top down when I parked it.

I called it my Japanese MGB. At least I didn't have a Lucas electrical system.

I can appreciate my new roadster fully having owned an earlier roadster that had a few personality quirks.

Bob
Old 06-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Originally posted by boiler
I remember Datsun with fond memories, since my first sports car was a 1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster. The Fairlady was the same car, but was sold overseas. I had a lot of fun with that car, but I also remember all 23 of the hose clamps under the hood that leaked coolant. I also recall how much fun it was to synchronize the two SU sidedraft carbs and how the snow blew in under the top in the winter. The rain that dripped on my left knee when it came down hard while driving on the highway. I also remember how nice it was to drive around with the top down. I had a tonneau cover that snapped on the car that had a zipper down the middle. I usually drove the car with the cover on it and the top down when I parked it.

I called it my Japanese MGB. At least I didn't have a Lucas electrical system.

I can appreciate my new roadster fully having owned an earlier roadster that had a few personality quirks.

Bob
Bob

Funny that you called it your "Japanese MGB". As I was reading your text all I could think about was my MG. I don't recall how many hose clamps my MGB had but every one of them came loose every day. Did you have to put oil in your carbs?

What great memories.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]

Bob

Funny that you called it your "Japanese MGB".
Old 06-01-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I love threads like this. Often I forget how much things have improved in modern cars.

Carburetors, coolant leaks, leaky hoses, thermostats from hell, British electronics, '70s Japanese steel... I think we can all be glad these are history. Fond memories perhpas, but (IMO) good riddance.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]I love threads like this.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by boiler

Rob, they were actually SU carbs made under license. Yes the carbs had to have 10 weight oil, which was almost impossible to find. I believe that I wound up using sewing machine oil in them. That worked like a charm. I had to tear them down and rebuild them and they were fine after that.

I've driven the 2000 and owned 2 - 240Zs and a 280Z. I used a lite weight air tool oil called 'Marvels Mystrey Oil' (sp?) in the SUs, it was red in color.

A friend of mine used to race a 2000 in SCCA events. I used to work in his pit crew and traveled to a number of races with him. The pictures below are from Watkins Glen, N.Y.

Z cars ruled track back then!

Old 06-02-2003, 05:01 AM

Were there any Datsun Z432R cars there? I bet most folks are not knowledgeable of the Z432R. I wonder if any of these cars still exist?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:33 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I owned several Datsun's (remember the Dat soon? commercials) I had 72 & 73 240's, a 74 260, a 77 280. I also had a couple of early SX's, seems like they were 200's. One F10, two 210's and even an 83 Sentra mpg that had both the Datsun and Nissan names on it. That car got great mileage and I had several tanks over 50 mpg.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:50 PM

That high speed 240z wander was easily remedied with a chin spoiler and a touch of lowering. Those were the last cars I felt comfortable wrenching on the engine. Yeah, the SU carbs were a pain, but ont he plus side my mercury synchronizer got lots of use. The Weber replacements were the way for cheapskates like me to go but there were some cool velocity-stack triples too.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
[B]That high speed 240z wander was easily remedied with a chin spoiler and a touch of lowering.

Quick Reply: Datsun... Remember them? (pics)